LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Exhaust setups questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 AM

Exhaust setups questions

what are some good exhaust setups ya'll are running?

right now i have stock manifolds into stock y-pipe, no cat conv. w/ a 1 chamber flow where the cat used to be, and a 3 inch I-pipe over the axle and it's then dumped right after it goes over the axle........kinda gay but oh well LOL.

anyways, Pacesetter coated longtubes are going to be on order very very soon, and I have the hook up to have a guy make me a custom X-piped true dual setup for my car.

question remains.....what type of mufflers would you reccomend that sounds really good w/ a cammed LT1 (cc305 cam) and flows decent? remember limited space is involved w/ the true dual setup. I DON'T want bullet mufflers, but twisters don't seem "too" bad....I dunno, i just want something that's different than others as far as muffler choice is concerned as well as sounding really good.

sorry for righting a book on this topic but i hope i can get some insight

-Ben (if this is in the wrong forum, i apoligize, i couldn't find an exhaust related forum to put it in, sorry!!!)

btw, here is a couple pictures of how the duals will be made, the mufflers may be different if i can decide on one.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Re: Exhaust setups questions

I would leave it exactly as you see it in that pic.

Originally Posted by Hybrid86Z
Old 10-08-2004, 12:52 PM

if you really need mufflers....look for something like a Hooker 3inch inlet/outlet. Maybe a center or offset, depending how much room you have.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:25 PM

I haven't done enough research yet, but it appears the mufflers that flow well, are not quiet, so... If that's not a problem for you look into magniflows, borla xr-1's, and burns race mufflers. Also exit them out the rear so your car doesn't act like a guitar.

You might try added two high flow mufflers on each side. One were people usually stick there bullets right before the axel and the other ones on either side of the gas tank/below it. Just a idea I was thinking of trying. The second muffler I don't think would have any effect on hp/tq. Once the air get's to the 1st mufflers they act like terminator boxes so I'd assume everything after that wouldn't have much effect.

Last edited by bdc95ta; 10-08-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:29 PM

how bout some nice 24" chambered mufflers?

summit sells some...they should sound sweet!!!

i've also heard the borla XR1s sound great...but are $$
Old 10-09-2004, 07:31 AM

thanks guys! I will look into the chambered ones from summit, as well as the magnaflows.

Fel-Pro Twisters are another thought too.

I really don't want to go w/ bullets cuz everyone has 'em, not that they don't sound good, but i hear the drone is kinda high :dunno:
Old 10-09-2004, 09:01 AM

How do you get a X Pipe setup? Do you have to special order something? I know it has to be fabricated special for our cars... or at least thats what I was told. I too am looking for the perfect exhaust for my Jet Hot LT's... I hear LT's + True Duals sound amazing.

But aren't True Duals MUCH louder? I live in a city area so I need it to be somewhat quiet around 1500k or so.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hybrid86Z
thanks guys! I will look into the chambered ones from summit, as well as the magnaflows.

Fel-Pro Twisters are another thought too.

I really don't want to go w/ bullets cuz everyone has 'em, not that they don't sound good, but i hear the drone is kinda high :dunno:
If you're worried about drone, then long tubes, an x-pipe and dumps isn't for you my man.