LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Exhaust popping question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:35 AM

Question Exhaust popping question??

Would a header leak cause an exhaust popping sound, expecially during the car downshifting? Or could it be the fact that I have no cats, also, running the borla straight open with no plates? Or a combination of all? I want a smooth tone, but it's sounding more of a gargling rumble sound if you know what I mean. It's making that (gargling) sound also when I get on it a little. Or when I'm just coasting and the car starts slowing down, it has that popping sound, not really a back fire. Would putting a plate in the borla help it sound better? If so which one would you guys recommend?
Old 09-30-2004, 05:43 AM

Re: Exhaust popping question??

Do you still have the air pump? I didn't notice it mentioned in the signature. If it's still there, it will make your new exhaust pop when you decelerate. Also did you remove the cats or just gut them?

There can be issues with leaving an empty cat in the system. Something to do with the volumn changing from a pipe to cat chamber and then back to the pipe again. The only way I can understand it is to think of a chambered muffler like the guys use on 2 cycle go carts and motorcycles. The chamber is positioned so it will reflect the wave of pressure back to the cylinder to help with cylinder scavenging. That positioning has to be exact or several HP can be lost as a result. The open chamber of the cat can also give the exhaust note a hollow almost tinny sound.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Yes, I still have the air pump, however all the air lines are capped off right now til I can find the right size fitting. And yes, no cats. So If I get my shop to throw a cat on, that should help alot then? I gave them a new catco cat when they were doing the install, but they said it wouldn't fit with the Y pipe. They sais in order to fit the catco, they would have to cut back some of my borla a little. Should I just do it this way then? Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:33 PM

No cats, borla, and lt headers. I take it this is an issue? What can I do about it? Just throw the cat on somehow?
Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 PM

Ya mine was like that too, I even put a bullit muffler on in place of the cat to try and deepin it. That didn't work either. So I just made a new plate at work with a 1/2 Dia. hole in the center to lessen the sound through the cutout. It got rid of all that raspyness and popping sound, just not as loud now, but I kind of like it better. Hope this helps....John.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:51 AM

mine was poping at idle too a little noticable and i knew it right away when i was listing then all the sudden one day, the cylinder number 3 wouldnt fire new wires and plugs each time i pulled it , it would have gas about it in. so i tore my opti off and i am about to put it on today and hope this helps out! From what i read most people would say your opti is about to go out , but thats just me@ good luck
Old 10-01-2004, 10:57 AM

Some of y'all should be driving Lincolns. I love this sound. Reminds me of a growling animal. Nothing like decellerating in a parking garage and setting off all the car alarms. If it's to loud, your to old!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
If it's to loud, your to old!
Hahaha YES you are right. I love the looks i get on the highway when i floor it, get to about 70mph in 2nd and just let off. Everyone seems to look. I of course have no mufflers so it's very loud. Alot of people wave at me too. People in corvette and other f-bodies. There's just nothing like the roar of a chevy V8.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 PM

I have the same setup--Jethot LT's, ORP, !Cats, !Air, into a Borla. Couple things I've noticed. 1.) Borla has a reputation for being a little raspy/popping w/o Cats. So when putting my system together- I put in a Dynatech Cone in each of my header flanges. I have 0 popping unless I'm decelerating with the Borla fully open. They also helped deepen my tone a little. Dynatech also advertises that you won't lose any HP with their cones. 2.) You owe it to yourself to get a DMH E-Borla cutout. It gives you SO much fexibility to tune your exhaust right from your seat--I love it. 3.) Exhaust leaks can definately make your exhaust pop/rasp. I had some major leaks after I got everything together and the Borla popped like crazy--even with the cones. Fixing the leaks solved my problem. BTW got the cones from Jegs--$60 a piece.