LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Even More MSD Opti Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob65
Thanks for giving us the info on that and the hex screws....Me and Ellis are just waiting on the New design to try out for MSD. Hopefully, I can have that up and running for the next drags....
This was a strange failure of the MSD optical modue. Again, the distributor is only about two months old.

However, it did give me an opportunity inspect the new Allen screws and red thread-locker and learn I've finally fixed that problem.

I've got another NHRA points race this weekend, so I'm ready to go now. As-long-as something else doesn't break! Also, I appreciate Ellis helping me with the contact at MSD.

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 08-31-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
This was a strange failure of the MSD optical modue. Again, the distributor is only about two months old.

However, it did give me an opportunity inspect the new Allen screws and red thread-locker and learn I've finally fixed that problem.

I've got another NHRA points race this weekend, so I'm ready to go now. As-long-as something else doesn't break! Also, I appreciate Ellis helping me with the contact at MSD.

WD

Not to change the subject but, can we say anti-squat.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Here is a photo of the rotor w/ the longer Allen socket-head screws and flat washer.

WD

Back from the dead... Where did you get the screws from? Local parts store? I think my buddy has the same issue with his msd unit.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by My Iroc Z28
Back from the dead... Where did you get the screws from? Local parts store? I think my buddy has the same issue with his msd unit.
A commercial fastener store would have them. I used stainless steel allen socket-heads, #6-32 x 3/8" long then trimed the length back slightly for clearance (with a belt sander). They need to be as-long-as possible to catch the most number of threads.

The factory MSD #6-32 phillips screws are "short" 1/4" (.250") with a tapered tip. I also had to trim the OD on the #6 flat washers. Use some red thread-locker and get the screws tight!

Knock-on-wood, my MSD has been working great for several months and races now.

WD
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 AM

i foud some lock washers at my fathers house and used them. of course i am back to a stock opti with a LTCC , that i will die for, before someone takes it from me. so far my lock washers have been fine for 1 month ruuning 7 grad.
A commercial fastener store would have them. I used stainless steel allen socket-heads, #6-32 x 3/8" long then trimed the length back slightly for clearance (with a belt sander). They need to be as-long-as possible to catch the most number of threads.

The factory MSD #6-32 phillips screws are "short" 1/4" (.250") with a tapered tip. I also had to trim the OD on the #6 flat washers. Use some red thread-locker and get the screws tight!

Knock-on-wood, my MSD has been working great for several months and races now.

WD
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM

I believe flat washers are the best option for the rotor, not lock washers.

WD
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM

why? in my eyes the lock washers would hold the bolt/screw and the plastic surface. wheres the flat washer is smoother than the plastic and would be prone to allow the bolt/screw to slip during heavy vibration.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
why? in my eyes the lock washers would hold the bolt/screw and the plastic surface. wheres the flat washer is smoother than the plastic and would be prone to allow the bolt/screw to slip during heavy vibration.
The flat washer spreads the torque loading over a larger surface area on the plastic rotor. Whereas, a slender lock-washer would press down into the plastic (small surface area) and does not have any significant locking properties in this application. The slightly longer screws (which catch more threads) and the red thread locker is what keeps the screws from vibrating loose.

However, it’s your distributor; therefore you can experiment with any option you choose. I’m just letting everyone know what has worked for me, based on my theories and some trial-and-error.

WD
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by OneFlyn95z28
We had the same thing happen last night with a STOCK opti.

We are working with MSD on there small problems. One of them is the loctite breaks down the plastic. Does not mater if you have a stock opti or an MSD.

The more you put on the worse you make the problem

I will be calling the Engineering Dept tomorrow I will point out this thread for them
Yep, I was gonna say, the locktite will craze certain thermoplastics.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM

I ended up not using any washers on my cap/rotor kit since the washers they supplied wouldn't fit. I guess I'll try to grind some down while I have it apart. BTW nice launch pic, it looks like you have your suspension figured out.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Yep, I was gonna say, the locktite will craze certain thermoplastics.
I can tell you with complete certainty, the "red" thread-locker "will not" attack the MSD rotor. The blue will attack some plastics, but does not appear to be a problem with the MSD. So use the red, you'll need.

WD
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
BTW nice launch pic, it looks like you have your suspension figured out.
Check-out this picture, w/ 1.48 60fts!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

I can tell you with complete certainty, the "red" thread-locker "will not" attack the MSD rotor. The blue will attack some plastics, but does not appear to be a problem with the MSD. So use the red, you'll need.

WD
Thanks - I've been wondering about that everytime I see someone locktited one of those. I've never had one come loose, so have never tried it. Also, I have never locktited anything but metal, so I never thought of using it on plastic. I seem to remember it attacking Lexan or Plexiglass or something when I was in a machine shop, so I knew that was a potential problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM

The actual thread locking is between the #6-32 machine screws and the metal hub on the distributor shaft. Not the plastic rotor.

WD
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM

WD,

Coincidentally, the vented cap and rotor that I installed on my modified 94 opti (originally unvented) looked exactly like the cap you've shown in the fragged rotor pics. Those notches that you see on the top of the rotor in pic # 3078 are from the rotor hitting the U-shaped ridges in the cap ceiling. My cap and rotor were doing exactly the same thing, although I had mine apart before it grenaded like that! The original cap that came off the 94 opti had just one circumferential ridge running just inside the posts - the rotor doesn't get anywhere close to touching it, so I ended up re-using the original cap after adding a vent and new rotor button to it.