LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine Swap advice --- LT1 rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 05:11 PM

Engine Swap advice --- LT1 rebuilding

I've searched the board for a little while on swaps and cams and all that fun stuff for an LT1, but i need some more specific advice.

I drive an M3, and to make this short, it's not getting any faster than 300rwhp without serious cash. my other reservation is that the car will not last very long above that 300 mark--- everybody on the boards who has crazy power has blown an engine because of stupid-crazy boost; supercharging is a happier story.

The M3 kills anything above 70-80 mph (not 360s or murcielagos), has respectable figures otherwise, but i want to build something stupid--- i want to power a porsche 928 with a SBC LT1. The chassis is for handling and stability at speed; the engine is for torque. I don't want to do maintanance on a weakling DOHC V8 that is known for self-destructing. i want chevy power. my mom's 1970 nova let me in on a secret! preferably, i can find a car with mech-overrev....

I need help convincing myself that the LT1 will have the power (stock) that i want. People who have done the conversion claim 4 second 0-60 and 1/4s around 11-12 seconds....holy shait, LT1s have crazy torque--- So if i get a complete LT1, will it be OK stock, or should i do some headwork and cams (or should i say "cam") while it's out? bless my project or damn it? it's really gonna **** off the rennlist.com guys.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Banned

no support here.

either get cheaper parts with a gen I small block or stick with expenive parts and get a gen III

the LT1 is pretty much a failure- its just good relative to most other V8's.

Get an LS1 or an LS6 and make 400rwhp with simple bolt ons.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

then agian, most everything is going to be custom anyway (headers and such) so just go LS6 and have fun-

there are 10 sec NA transams with no weight reduction.

You can have a 10 sec daily driven car with that little weight
Old 06-17-2003, 05:16 PM

Ok....So, same question as above with LS1?

The headers come with the conversion kit....i just want to be sure the LS1 is OK and long-lived
Old 06-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ///alpinepower
Ok....So, same question as above with LS1?

The headers come with the conversion kit....i just want to be sure the LS1 is OK and long-lived
Gen I vs gen II vs gen III

ignore the politics behind it

LS6 is very comfy making 400rwhp
Old 06-17-2003, 05:28 PM

ignore trey, he just likes to spout off his holier-than-thou BS.

My opinion (and only that, an opinion.. i won't try to spout it off as theholy grail as some members here do), is that the LT1 is an awesome project engine. There are numerous people who have stuffed LT1s into fieros, porsches, FD rx7s, s10s, and even bikes.

If you just want a camaro, sure, go for an LS1, they're more reliable and faster out of the box. But for a project car, where you'll be taking the engine apart and b!tchslaping into some other chassis.. the LT1 will be behind you all the way.

I don't know much about hybrid LT1 cars, but it sure seems like an LT1 is the way to go when you're talking about v8 hybrids.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:31 PM

btw: you might find this link useful.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/928.htm
Old 06-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mineralwater
ignore trey, he just likes to spout off his holier-than-thou BS.

My opinion (and only that, an opinion.. i won't try to spout it off as theholy grail as some members here do), is that the LT1 is an awesome project engine. There are numerous people who have stuffed LT1s into fieros, porsches, FD rx7s, s10s, and even bikes.

If you just want a camaro, sure, go for an LS1, they're more reliable and faster out of the box. But for a project car, where you'll be taking the engine apart and b!tchslaping into some other chassis.. the LT1 will be behind you all the way.

I don't know much about hybrid LT1 cars, but it sure seems like an LT1 is the way to go when you're talking about v8 hybrids.
care to explain why holywater?

why the hell would you ever chose an LT1 over an LS1 for reliablity and power purposes?

is it the exceedingly reliably ignition or what?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:40 PM

Smile

Read the whole thing already; i think that's who im going to use.

Trey--- your thread popped up on bimmerforums a while ago, it's very informative. Actually, it looks like Gen IV SBC is going to skip over SOHC and DOHC altogether and go straight to electronic valves (and also eliminate the throttle body....)

assuming i went with LS1, what sort of prices am i looking at for the complete engine and wiring?
Old 06-17-2003, 06:02 PM

Smile

Just finished the conversion on my Porsche 944 Turbo. Actually, I had someone more experienced do the conversion for me. I am just doing the fine tuning and adjusting.

I really like the torque that the stock LT1 makes, but don't count on 4 second 0-60 times or 11 second quarters without some decent upgrades. My 944 weighs a lot less than the 928, and I know I'm not that fast yet. I would estimate around 5 seconds 0-60 and 13 in the quarter, but I haven't pulled out the G-Tech or made it to the track yet.

That being said, I have owned both the 944 Turbo and the 928. The 928 is no dog, especially the later models, but try to get more power out of it without breaking the bank. The LT1 is a much better option for power and reliability. Not to mention cheaper parts and maintenance. And the Renegade Hybrids conversion on the 928 is the easiest one that they offer. They estimate that it will take about 1/2 the time as a 944 conversion. Upgrades are relatively cheap and plentiful, especially compared to Porsche parts.

I don't know if the LS1 will fit into the 928. I know Renegade doesn't have a kit for that. For the 944, you would have to have a custom tube frame, since the LS1 is a different shape than the LT1. No one that I've heard of has successfully completed a 944 or 928 LS1 conversion - only 911s. Not that it can't be done, but it would require you breaking a lot of new ground - read $$$.

Give Scott at Renegade a call. He will be able to tell you the why and why nots of the conversion. Just keep in mind that their kit is only for cars with manual transmission - the minority for 928s.

Overall, I am VERY satisfied. But I had a turbo motor, and no longer have the turbo lag. I don't know if you would feel the big difference going from a V8 to a V8.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LT1944
Just finished the conversion on my Porsche 944 Turbo. Actually, I had someone more experienced do the conversion for me. I am just doing the fine tuning and adjusting.

I really like the torque that the stock LT1 makes, but don't count on 4 second 0-60 times or 11 second quarters without some decent upgrades. My 944 weighs a lot less than the 928, and I know I'm not that fast yet. I would estimate around 5 seconds 0-60 and 13 in the quarter, but I haven't pulled out the G-Tech or made it to the track yet.

That being said, I have owned both the 944 Turbo and the 928. The 928 is no dog, especially the later models, but try to get more power out of it without breaking the bank. The LT1 is a much better option for power and reliability. Not to mention cheaper parts and maintenance. And the Renegade Hybrids conversion on the 928 is the easiest one that they offer. They estimate that it will take about 1/2 the time as a 944 conversion. Upgrades are relatively cheap and plentiful, especially compared to Porsche parts.

I don't know if the LS1 will fit into the 928. I know Renegade doesn't have a kit for that. For the 944, you would have to have a custom tube frame, since the LS1 is a different shape than the LT1. No one that I've heard of has successfully completed a 944 or 928 LS1 conversion - only 911s. Not that it can't be done, but it would require you breaking a lot of new ground - read $$$.

Give Scott at Renegade a call. He will be able to tell you the why and why nots of the conversion. Just keep in mind that their kit is only for cars with manual transmission - the minority for 928s.

Overall, I am VERY satisfied. But I had a turbo motor, and no longer have the turbo lag. I don't know if you would feel the big difference going from a V8 to a V8.
well if they offer some kind of kit, go with that.

if everything is custom fabbed, LSx all the way
Old 06-17-2003, 06:22 PM

hmm....
I am going to have to give him a call and see if the LS1 would fit---They have 2 kits for the 928; one for autos and the other for manuals. i might be best off doing LT1--->LT4 and putting that in. I'm not about to try swapping cams on the 928 engine, there are just too many and it has this crazy-asse belt that is all over the place. i'd love to steal the intake manifold and slap that on the LT1, though...
Old 06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ///alpinepower
hmm....
I am going to have to give him a call and see if the LS1 would fit---They have 2 kits for the 928; one for autos and the other for manuals. i might be best off doing LT1--->LT4 and putting that in. I'm not about to try swapping cams on the 928 engine, there are just too many and it has this crazy-asse belt that is all over the place. i'd love to steal the intake manifold and slap that on the LT1, though...
ehh intake manifold isn't really a problem till you get some AGRESSIVE heads

i think i'm just starting to see problems with it around 400rhwp

Porsche has some crazy *** intake manifolds though
I saw a few at an autoshow. Their heads looked like they had tons of meat for porting, i dont know how close coolant passages were though...

if you are looking for a tame reliable car-

grab stage 3 heads from www.cmotorsports.com, Xe 224/230 with the .560"/598" lift (maybe tamer if you want, tame is a relative word around here ) with some quality lifters and valve springs.
Long tubes, good intake and your set
should put down some killer car and be VERY tame idling wise

give them a shout over there-
they REALLY know their stuff