LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

eng. builders inside please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:49 PM

Angry eng. builders inside please

who knows the torque spec. for the oil pump bolt? my manual that I have says 66ft/lbs. is that right? when I tried to torque it down, the threads just pulled right up on the SOB. now, the whole shortblock has to come back apart to have a new rear main cap installed and line honed to fit. what a f'n bitch. everything was goin fine, slow, but fine. I even preassembled it before to check for clearances while/after I was clearancing the block. I thought I was home free. FXXX! Im so pissed right now. and, for the record, the threads were perfect before, I was even threading the bolt all the way in by hand so I could check that the bolt wasnt bottoming out on the bearing. put the pump on, threaded it on by hand almost all the way, starting torquing it down, then all of a sudden the pressure on the torque wrench goes away. I knew something was up right away so I took out the bolt and looked down there I could see the threads had pulled up.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:03 PM

Re: eng. builders inside please

helicoil it
Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 PM

thats the only poss. I have at this point before teardown. not sure it'll work though till I drill out the current threads and see how the cast iron looks. when it pulled the threads, it seems to have pulled some meat from around the threads too. know what I mean? its not just damaged threads. not sure how to explain it. its like the casting is coming apart in chunks or something.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
who knows the torque spec. for the oil pump bolt? my manual that I have says 66ft/lbs. is that right? when I tried to torque it down, the threads just pulled right up on the SOB. now, the whole shortblock has to come back apart to have a new rear main cap installed and line honed to fit. what a f'n bitch. everything was goin fine, slow, but fine. I even preassembled it before to check for clearances while/after I was clearancing the block. I thought I was home free. FXXX! Im so pissed right now. and, for the record, the threads were perfect before, I was even threading the bolt all the way in by hand so I could check that the bolt wasnt bottoming out on the bearing. put the pump on, threaded it on by hand almost all the way, starting torquing it down, then all of a sudden the pressure on the torque wrench goes away. I knew something was up right away so I took out the bolt and looked down there I could see the threads had pulled up.

66 sounds about right, I'll try to look tommorrow for sure
Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 PM

Dammm Chris, sorry to hear about all the problems, I had the same thing happen to me before, from now on I always make sure to use locktite thread sealant it helps the bolt not to bind on the threads and ruin them. Unfortunately the only thing to do is to helicoil it. I know what you mean about the threads seem like they came out but a helicoil should work, if not you would have to use a larger helicoil to fill in the hole and then a larger bolt but I am sure that a helicoil will work. If you need a hand tommorrow let me know.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 PM

That seems a bit odd that the threads would come up on the bolt at only 66 ft-lbs. You used the correct grade bolt, right? Perhaps the the bolt might've been a bit too small for the hole, hence the engine block threads were only contacting at the edge of the bolt threads.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:28 AM

Look and ask for a Keen-sert. They are like a plug with threads in it. The one for a 1/2" bolt is threaded to 5/8" (as an example) so if the destruction was greater than a helicoil can fix this would work. And make sure that you get the directions as the outside threads are shallower than normal and use a smaller tap drill.
PM me if you need more info.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:31 AM

Im sure its the right bolt. I had threaded it in a number of times while measureingthe depth of the bolt cause it looked like it was goin to hit the back of the bearing. act., I tried a couple diff. bolts and they threaded right in by hand, no problem and no play. you can feel the threads as you turn it in if the threads are contacting.

John, I'll call ya. you have a drill press right?

al, Im pming you. thanks. ofcourse Im goin to try to drill/helicoil first.

Im worried that I'll get the drill/tap crooked though.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 PM

I know I'm kind of a haul out here in Waterford, but I own a machine shop
and we could hook you up no problem with a keensert repair.
If you want, shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you the shop phone #.
Mark
Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 PM

oh hell yeah thanks mark. I'll make the trip out next week. Im gonna be down in ohio for the trans am nationals all weekend long. waterford isnt too far away. I'll email ya.

thanks chris
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 PM

Hopefully you didn't rip a 3/8" bolt out of that 7/16" hole But I'm sure you used the right 7/16 size if you say you did. Anything worthwhile's going to be a challenge and this one's as plain as day.

PS..make sure the sump's welded or bracketed on also in case that wasn't on the assembly list. Goodluck!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:18 PM

oh yeah, its on there denny. and yes, it was a 7/16 bolt. the pumps still apart waiting to be welded.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

After repair,use a stud kit for the oil pump and put it in with GREEN Locktite.You may want to check the cap roundness with that much pulling on it.It may be distorted a bunch and not fit the brg.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:27 PM

good idea on the stud kit. if I do that, whats the torque rateing for the nut?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned

Tight with a combination wrench.30-40ftlb's & blue Locktite.

Quick Reply: eng. builders inside please