LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electrical Problems: Need help FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 05:27 PM

Unhappy Electrical Problems: Need help FAST!

I do not post here as often as I do on the Project Trans Am board, but I figured with all the traffic here, someone may know what the heck is going on with my darn T/A

This is a little long, but very descriptive:
I have not started the car in over 3 months (have had it on jackstands doing suspension and other stuff) . Anyway, when I hooked up the battery, it had no juice (not too surprised there). I pulled up my 1998 GTP to jump it and all the starter would do is "click and bang", but in a rotational type of music. Everytime the starter would make the click and bang noise (two noises, both at the same time) the dash lights would all flash in unison. I figured that the battery needed a little longer, so I waited about 15 minutes with the GTP running and both batteries connected. When I tried again, same thing. So I bumped the key several times and she fired up, so I thought all was OK.

Well......it wasn't. After running for around 10 minutes, I started to run the engine up the RPM band "slowly" from idle, then to 1500, 2000, 2500, and then 3000. When I hit 3000 it was like someone pulled the plug and she died after a flash of all the dash lights again....then I had no lights, no nothing, everything was completely dead. While it was running the volts showed between 14-15 volts the whole time, until it died.
I was a little worried at this point and checked all fuses, all OK. I then re-connected the GTP and everything came back alive, but the car would just not start, same noises and flashing lights as before, but then nothing. I left the cars connected to each other for about 45 minutes, still same results. Once I disconnected the cars, the T/A had no juice anywhere, like it just died again, she is dead in the water.

I was guessing a battery, but the alternator should keep the car running without the battery once started. So, what could it be? The starter? Could it be causing this to happen?

Please, everyone give some input, including Fred. I need help, my baby is dead!!!
Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:32 PM

I am betting your batt is shorted out.Test it or have it tested.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:39 PM

You may have a bad cell in the battery. That will cause some crazy stuff sometimes. Like Joe said, have it tested.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:42 PM

Could that just happen after sitting? I can live with a battery, I will certainly check that out for sure. So, if I have a short or bad cell, would that cause the car to just die, even while running and the alternator works fine?

If not the battery (if it tests ok), what should I look to next? I just want to be sure, that's all. I certainly appreciate the quick responses, thanks both of you!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:45 PM

If everything is dead, including headlights, then it is the battery or connection to it.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:58 PM

Question

As usual, the box is right. First thing, check your batt connections.