LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electric waterpump causing a short?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM

Question Electric waterpump causing a short?

I have a csr electric waterpump and everytime I turn on my car, within 10 seconds) it causes my engine managment fuse (which is the fuse that is conected to my waterpump) to blow out... I traced the wiring from the water pump and it seemed like everything was in order. So I disconected the waterpump and put a new fuse in, and this time the fuse did no blow. Does this mean that my waterpump is causing the short and I need a new one? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Re: Electric waterpump causing a short?

I had the same thing happen to my CSR what happened is the impeller backed off and it wedged against the housing causing the motor not to turn and blow the fuse.I trashed that pump and will never use a CSR again they should have cut left handed threads or even used loctite on the threads of the shaft i went to a meziere and no probs
Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM

So, I have to buy another waterpump? How was the installation
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Is it possible that the mechanicale portion of the waterpump is stuck?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 PM

well mine failed with in 20 min of use i sent it back to summit and they gave me a refund pull the pump off to make sure and test it out of the housing to see whats going on
Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by roughneck427
I had the same thing happen to my CSR what happened is the impeller backed off and it wedged against the housing causing the motor not to turn and blow the fuse.I trashed that pump and will never use a CSR again they should have cut left handed threads or even used loctite on the threads of the shaft i went to a meziere and no probs
The Meziere a direct bolt up or is there clearance issues with that?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 96KillaZ
I have a csr electric waterpump and everytime I turn on my car, within 10 seconds) it causes my engine managment fuse (which is the fuse that is conected to my waterpump) to blow out... I traced the wiring from the water pump and it seemed like everything was in order. So I disconected the waterpump and put a new fuse in, and this time the fuse did no blow. Does this mean that my waterpump is causing the short and I need a new one? Thanks in advance for any help
Since you did not find the problem, you are just guessing. It could be anything attached to that fuse. You may also be overloading that fuse position. You should have it wired on it's own fuse for power.

Last edited by shoebox; 02-08-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by RayRay21
The Meziere a direct bolt up or is there clearance issues with that?

yeah i had to slightly trim the passenger side cooling fan shroud other than that works great
Old 02-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You should have it wired on it's own fuse for power.

Now theres some good advice.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Since you did not find the problem, you are just guessing. It could be anything attached to that fuse. You may also be overloading that fuse position. You should have it wired on it's own fuse for power.
I'll try that, I got my car with it wired up like that, How would I wire it so it has its own fuse, Do I just get an inline fuse holder and connect it that way. Shouldnt the water pump be the problem since it was running fine for a couple of years and now all of a sudden its doin this every time the car starts within 10 seconds. but when the waterpump is disconnected the fuse does not short, I even tested a 10 amp fuse with the waterpump disconnected and it was just fine. and placed a 30 amp fuse with the pump connected, and it still bursted... sorry if im rambling on, im still pretty hung over from last night
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96KillaZ
I'll try that, I got my car with it wired up like that, How would I wire it so it has its own fuse, Do I just get an inline fuse holder and connect it that way. Shouldnt the water pump be the problem since it was running fine for a couple of years and now all of a sudden its doin this every time the car starts within 10 seconds. but when the waterpump is disconnected the fuse does not short, I even tested a 10 amp fuse with the waterpump disconnected and it was just fine. and placed a 30 amp fuse with the pump connected, and it still bursted... sorry if im rambling on, im still pretty hung over from last night

Yes an inline and a relay. Thats how I have had my meziere wired for the last three years or so.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 PM

First of all putting a 30 amp fuse where a 10 amp fuse belongs is a good way to melt some wires. Are you guys using a relay for your waterpumps? The pump needs to pull power directly from the battery with an inline fuse.

85 -- ground
86 -- switched +12V souce (this activates the relay)
30 -- +12V at battery
87a -- N/A
87 -- to water pump

It won't matter too much where you wire terminal 86 to since it takes very little current to energize the relay. If you don't have it wired up like this then try it and see if it fixes your problem.

Last edited by stroked383z28; 02-08-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:49 AM

Is this what I need, I also plan to buy the Meziere water pump http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...5&autoview=sku
Old 02-09-2006, 02:03 AM

If it won't spin, you're tightening the bolts that hold the EWP in too much. We had this problem on Javier97Z28's car. Tighten them a little bit and let the o-ring do its job.

Lay the EWP into the housing and you'll see that the impeller spins freely. When you over tighten the bolts, then it bottoms out...

Last edited by Cmr0z28; 02-09-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 PM

Angry Just took off water pump

Ok so now I just took the water pump off so I can see inside of it... then when I put a 30 amp fuse in, the propeller spins but it sounds like it is dieing out and strugleing. With the normal 20 amp fuse it shorts instantly... I think I need a new electric waterpump or do I need to re-wire it. I just dont see how re-wiring would change anything seeing how I havent had any problems till recently with my setup... Please give me any input on your thoughts

Quick Reply: Electric waterpump causing a short?