LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

electric water pump wiring question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:57 PM

electric water pump wiring question?

http://ken.lowrance.com/projects/CSIwaterpump/

what is with the switch?? I just want the pump to come on when the car is on, why do I need a switch?

If I just hook up the ground, put the 12v power wire into a fuse under the hood, shouldnt that be sufficiant?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:03 PM

Re: electric water pump wiring question?

[QUOTE]Optional Procedure:

If you want an indicator lamp or switch in the inside of the car to tell you when the pump is running or not. You will need to run two wires to the inside of the car. The wires can be ran through the firewall through the rubber gourmet underneath the PCM. Find a good location for the switch and the indicator lamp, I made a custom bracket for mine that mounts where the cassette holder is. (PicLink) QUOTE]

Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM

Ok thanks.... But what would the switch be for? is it to let the pump run while the car is off? Don't you just have to turn the ignition half way on (to where the radio comes on) to make that happen?

so I dont need a relay?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:28 PM

no switches for me....I just ran one wire to a fuse in the box under the hood and grounded the other. If the pump isn't on then the car gets hot FAST so I don't need a light to tell me that...
Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Inutero
Ok thanks.... But what would the switch be for? is it to let the pump run while the car is off? Don't you just have to turn the ignition half way on (to where the radio comes on) to make that happen?

so I dont need a relay?
You need a relay and a inline fuse. The relay runs to the hot junction and the ground junction, then you have the option of the light to let you know when it's on.

I suggest using the light. Make sure to wire it into the pump side fo the connector. I had my connector break and it showed i was still getting power because it was on the other side of the connector, which wasn't connected to the pump any longer

-Shannon
Old 12-23-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by NOMAD
You need a relay and a inline fuse. The relay runs to the hot junction and the ground junction, then you have the option of the light to let you know when it's on.

I suggest using the light. Make sure to wire it into the pump side fo the connector. I had my connector break and it showed i was still getting power because it was on the other side of the connector, which wasn't connected to the pump any longer

-Shannon

I still dont understand why I need a relay when I will not have a light or switch. And again, what is the switch for??? you can put your ignition half way on and the pump will come on without the engine on, right?
Old 12-23-2004, 05:09 PM

I still dont understand why I need a relay when I will not have a light or switch. And again, what is the switch for??? you can put your ignition half way on and the pump will come on without the engine on, right?
the relay can handle higher currants then the wiring in your car

use it so you don't melt your wiring and maybe start a fire
Old 12-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
the relay can handle higher currants then the wiring in your car

use it so you don't melt your wiring and maybe start a fire
yep, safety
Old 12-23-2004, 06:37 PM

What the others said. Safety is the main concern. You don't have to have a switch, and I personally wouldn't use one since it is wired into your ignition directly anyways.

I would recommend a light due to the fact that I don't want to look at the temp level all the time i'm driving to be sure the pumps is working. By the time the high temp light comes on, it's gonna be too late.

-Shannon
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 PM

And again, what is the switch for??? you can put your ignition half way on and the pump will come on without the engine on, right?
many people put a switch on so when you are at the race track, you can run the pump and fan while in the staging lanes to cool the engine down. If you wont be racing or dont want to do this, then you dont need a switch. You should use a relay for the power though.