LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electric cutout to open under WOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:18 AM

Electric cutout to open under WOT

I recently purchased an electric cutout, and was wondering how hard it would be to hook it up to a relay that would open it up during WOT. My current idea is have 2 switches, one to open and close it, and the other when switched on, allows it to open under WOT, when off, nothing happens. But I dont know how to hook it up so it knows when the cars in WOT.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:54 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
hmmm.... your quest has caught the interest of frmula1....

i *guess*, you, *COULD*, *in theory*, SOMEHOW hook up the electronic triggering system for the cutout to the throttle position sensor so that when it passes a certain throttle position (like 90% throttle would be good) the cutout opens...

its very possible...

easy?

uhh... good luck young grasshopper...
Old 07-28-2003, 08:15 AM

Seems simple enough at first glance...you could either use a TPS switch (electronic or mechanical) or an RPM switch, etc. BUT, I've only seen one of these before, how does it know when it's fully opened? You don't want it to sit there and try to open constantly. Best bet would be a timed open, or some sort of mechanical limit sensing switch once fully opened.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:33 AM

It wouldn't open instantly....there would be about a second or two delay.....
Old 07-28-2003, 09:18 AM

I agree with schoby, there is a second to second and a half delay, so by the time it opens up all the way, your probably about ready to get off the throttle. I will give ya this though, its a killer idea, i dig it. But just keep it on the switch so when that LS1 pulls up to you at the stop light, when the cross light turns yellow and yours is ready to turn green, you hit the switch, and mr LS1 realizes that hes about to get . Lol, Great theory though, hope this helps, prorac1
Old 07-28-2003, 10:24 AM

I haven't looked at a cut out in a while, but I'm guessing most of the mechanical cabled ones are a butterfly like device? what if you used a cable actuated one but put an old junkyard electric lock actuator on it to open and close it? If done right it should open and close quick enough for full throttle only operation.
as for the electronic part, no sweat for anyone with minor electronics knowledge. you could go the easy route and put a reed switch on the throttle body, maybe they already sell them for nitrous? or you could use an op-amp circuit as a comparator and wire it to the TPS, use a potentiometer for the set point side of the comparator so you could adjust the % throttle that it opened/closed at. wire whichever method you use to a small relay to drive the cutout.
Hey I kinda like this idea, maybeI should build one.
Perry
Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 AM

Aherm... Mount a small push in button switch under the gas pedal maybe with a spring on top of it. Presto - WOT cutout switch whenever u floor the pedal.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by toby360
Aherm... Mount a small push in button switch under the gas pedal maybe with a spring on top of it. Presto - WOT cutout switch whenever u floor the pedal.
Seriously though, so sweet and so simple. But mounted wrong and you'd either break it all the time or prevent yourself from actually going WOT.

I know that as hard as I push the pedal there's no way it would last
Old 07-28-2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
Seriously though, so sweet and so simple. But mounted wrong and you'd either break it all the time or prevent yourself from actually going WOT.

I know that as hard as I push the pedal there's no way it would last
Place a metal contact at the tip of the pedal closest to where it hits the ground. Place another one down there too, maybe use a measured fat spring if you want it sooner, run a wire down the pedal to close the circuit hehe...
Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 AM

Well to address the openening/closing delay problem, I would only really want it for racing, not really for say passing power, or just a quick WOT messing around. I have no clue how long they take to open, but hopefully my tires will grip in 1st before it opens for that extra power. I feel I will definatly get an extra 20 at least because im going to be running a stock exhaust with cats. On a 383 running 15-20lbs of boost So maybe the delay will help my traction. But as I was writing this I realised it would try to close while shifting... again maybe that will help my traction. Or I could hook up a timer with the relay, I remember in highschool electronics if I use a 555 timer with the right configuration the power should stay on just long enough.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:44 AM

I wonder if theres a such thing as a springloaded cutout.. opens at certain backpressure .. that would be kinda cool and simple and not "too" prone to failure...
Old 07-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by m0nk
Well to address the openening/closing delay problem, I would only really want it for racing, not really for say passing power, or just a quick WOT messing around. I have no clue how long they take to open, but hopefully my tires will grip in 1st before it opens for that extra power. I feel I will definatly get an extra 20 at least because im going to be running a stock exhaust with cats. On a 383 running 15-20lbs of boost So maybe the delay will help my traction. But as I was writing this I realised it would try to close while shifting... again maybe that will help my traction. Or I could hook up a timer with the relay, I remember in highschool electronics if I use a 555 timer with the right configuration the power should stay on just long enough.
In all complete and total seriousness. This is how good ideas get started. Try it out. See what you can make of it. You might be able to market it if you can get the logistics down. Good Luck! And it sounds promising since you brought up the traction issue. Also addresses the sleeper issue, as well,

BTW: what kinda compression is the engine running? Seems like an awful lot o boost for a 383?!?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Banned

Wouldnt be too hard to do actually. Buy a WOT switch and have it activate a timer that will supply power to the motor for 3 seconds or so.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by toby360
I wonder if theres a such thing as a springloaded cutout.. opens at certain backpressure .. that would be kinda cool and simple and not "too" prone to failure...
heh heh, its called a blow off valve. Ricers know all about it
Old 07-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Heh wow, this is a pretty cool idea.

Quick Reply: Electric cutout to open under WOT