LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

durability: LT1 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:01 AM

what i mean is you can make more hp and theyll be more street friendly.HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND.

if you dont get it check out ETs and HP ls1s have made.you can go with a way more agressive cam on stock heads.

ive never heard that the stroke design was an ls1s weakness.i think youll say anything to convince yourself how poorly an ls1 was designed which is complete BS.

they suck but GM is still using an ls1 design in its newer vehicles.ill trust their judgement over yours.

keep thinking what you want.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by ULTIMTEORANGESS
what i mean is you can make more hp and theyll be more street friendly.HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND.

if you dont get it check out ETs and HP ls1s have made.you can go with a way more agressive cam on stock heads.

ive never heard that the stroke design was an ls1s weakness.i think youll say anything to convince yourself how poorly an ls1 was designed which is complete BS.

they suck but GM is still using an ls1 design in its newer vehicles.ill trust their judgement over yours.

keep thinking what you want.
you are obviously unbiased and well informed.

educate yourself
Old 03-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Ok guys... let's be cool. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by 93turbo5oh
you are obviously unbiased and well informed.

educate yourself

isnt that a 10 sec NA stock bottomed ls1 in that article?thanks for proving my point.

i knew about that car years ago.

Last edited by ULTIMTEORANGESS; 03-20-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:43 PM

I have seen and heard that car.

Those guys up at SAM are kick-***.

I went up there just to check it out and they gave me a tour and showed me all their goodies.
I was just going to drop by and ended up chilling there and talking with the guys for four hours.

Yeah they were showing me some of their cool new stuff they are putting on the car for this year and let me say. that car is BAD AZZ

The intake manifold was a $10,000 piece.

mmmmm, tasty. You guys should have seen it, hell it looked like a million bucks!

STOP STOP STOP.

everyone knows the LS1 is better.

J/K get over it. they are both good designs, and both have their ups and downs....It pretty much really comes down to what car you like better. 93-97 or 98-02

nuff said
Old 03-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

This was a good thread until the bickering started.

I asked you guys once to stop. Oh well.

UPDATE: I had just closed this but realized it wasn't fair to the person posting this topic that two guys continued to flame each other.

I warned you guys once to stop. Now stop the flaming and talk about your differences with one another like you are older than 12. Thanks

Last edited by Brent94Z; 03-20-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:35 AM

From an engineering standpoint most things evolve for the better and that is firmly believeable in the LS1. There's no knocking the LT1, it's still a very viable alternative for the budget minded. But if you compare component for component, the LS series engines excel in most areas stock vs. stock. Get over it. The guys I feel really feel bad for are those L98 proponents!
Old 03-21-2004, 12:10 PM

Im not sure about anyone else . But My LT1 seen 6200 RPM's 3 times a day for 3 years . And it will not die . Runs strong as hell with the miles thats on it now . Never broke down yet . Dont smoke or use oil .
My LS1 already has 120k on it now . Uses no oil and traps 107 in bone stock form . Looks new inside out . Engine is clean , still gets 30 MPG on the highway .
I think they are both very exceptional engines in terms of durability . As far as power , LS1 all the way . It dont take much to get the LT in the same ball park though .
So the desitive factor should be based on a few more things then just the engine , Like the actual cars overall .
Wich look do you like better ?
wich one sounds best to you ?
drive a few and get used to the power curves , you may like the torque feel of the LT1 better . They feel like 2 different cars completely all togethre when it comes to delivering power .

I love both .
Old 03-23-2004, 11:51 AM

isnt that a 10 sec NA stock bottomed ls1 in that article?thanks for proving my point.

i knew about that car years ago.
Is that ALL that you got out of that article? Wow. I'm still waiting for you to tell me what makes an LS1 more streetable with more power. Not just "It is", I mean WHY.... what designe changes?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:55 PM

My old LS1 had it form 17miles to 42,000 probs=bad thermostat

My old LT1 1994 Z28 had it with about 40,000-55,000 not one prob

my other old LT1 1994 Z28 brought it with 163,000 sold it with 183,000 miles. The guy that brought it said it ran neck and neck with his fathers 1999 A4 LS1 Z28

My current 1995 Z28 blown headgaskets at 112,000. Got them fixed runs perfect

I have owned 5 F-Bodies. All 4th gens I think they are great cars in general. Some of the other things such as Opti(LT1 cars) and O2 sensors seem to go bad but all in all i think they are great cars and I will always own a 4th gen F-Bod till i die.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Nestromo
Is that ALL that you got out of that article? Wow. I'm still waiting for you to tell me what makes an LS1 more streetable with more power. Not just "It is", I mean WHY.... what designe changes?
you choose to believe what you want and use your manipulation BS.its not going to work.

whats been done and continuing to be done speaks for itself.no matter what i post youll just keep playing games.give it a rest.

but youre right better flowing heads and stronger rods just as examples dont make a difference.

go here if youre really interested. www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

im sure youre not because then youd know the truth and you cant have that.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:21 AM

you choose to believe what you want and use your manipulation BS.its not going to work.

whats been done and continuing to be done speaks for itself.no matter what i post youll just keep playing games.give it a rest.

but youre right better flowing heads and stronger rods just as examples dont make a difference.

go here if youre really interested. www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

im sure youre not because then youd know the truth and you cant have that.
All that I want you to do is tell me why you say they make more streetable power. Thats all. You made a claim and I want you to back it up in your own words. Thats not hard to do. Here is my question to you...

Why do LS1s have the capobility to make more power with better street driveability?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:45 AM

Both engines are great. Both engines will have lemons that do not last 100k, and both engines will have some that last easily over 200k. For the most part, they are both equally reliable, and each has their own quirks.

both bottom ends are not that great if modding for forced induction. On both engines the pistons are the weak link.

The LS1 clearly has the advantage when talking bolt ons or cams with stock heads..

Both can be modded to hell and both can make a ton of power.

You can't go wrong wth either engine.. I am a die hard LT1 fan and have modded many of these engines in the past. But I would be the first to admit that I would own an LS1 in a second if I wanted to just bolt on some parts and make a ton of power.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by Nestromo
All that I want you to do is tell me why you say they make more streetable power. Thats all. You made a claim and I want you to back it up in your own words. Thats not hard to do. Here is my question to you...

Why do LS1s have the capobility to make more power with better street driveability?

please,give up the BS games.ive given you tons of proof why ls1s are stronger and are more streetable with more hp while all you do is make generalized statements that are not specific that prove nothing.

youve continued to come up with nothing and keep trying to play manipulative games.give it up.

trying to be overly technical is doing nothing to make your case.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:30 AM

please,give up the BS games.ive given you tons of proof why ls1s are stronger and are more streetable with more hp while all you do is make generalized statements that are not specific that prove nothing.
I might add that the examples you showed of what the engines are capable of, are not a realistic idea of the norm of handling abuse.. Both the LT1 and LS1 are not good bottom ends stock forced induction wise. Unless you want to worry about tow truck every time you run a good amount of boost (spray) through one of these engines, you will want to beef up the bottom end some..Whether it be an LT1 or LS1. I know guys who sprayed 250 shots on stock LT1s and hit 14 PSi of boost on a stock LT1 and it somehow survived.. But then there are the rest of the population that will experience busted engines in doing the same.. While there are some examples of big h.p. from stock shortblocks, it does not mean these bottom ends can handle it most of the time..

Looking at the 2 engines realistically, both bottom ends are about the same strength wise when looking at the weakest link... The pistons.

More streetable?? I am not buying it.

Last edited by 2MCHPSI; 03-24-2004 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: durability: LT1 vs LS1