LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

dropping motor need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 PM

dropping motor need help

I have searched around and cant find a detailed guide on how to drop a LT 1 from the bottom. Any help? or suggestions?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM

Re: dropping motor need help

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 PM

That is the site info I have, but he mentions those dang 6 cradel bolts. I might try and call him or email his web site to ask.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Just take off headers, intake, crank pulley, radiator, fans and ac condensor. Then yank it out top its simple.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM

trust me with my experience of doing both, it is much easier and less headache to drop it from the bottom...you can drop it all in one piece. tranny and all as if you pull it from the top you have to break down half the motor and un hook the tranny..just my $.02
Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by brannanjohn
That is the site info I have, but he mentions those dang 6 cradel bolts. I might try and call him or email his web site to ask.
What question would you have I might just remember how to do it since I have done it like 6 damn times
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM

here is my question, since I am about to be doing this on Friday for my car. Now I got you up to the point where you say to disconnect the 6 cradle bolts. How in the hell are you suppose to get to them once the engine is resting on the cart? I doubt anyone can get their hand under there to loosen them
Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 PM

I dont even know where these dang cradel bolts are. I am planning on dropping this weekend adn havign doen it 3 times from the top, I'll never do it that way again. Just trying to figure what I need and mentally work through the process.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 PM

i would assume that by cradle bolts he means k member bolts, in which case they are on the edges of the k member kind of by where the a arms bolt on to the k member and they go into the "frame" of the car. there are three on either side.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 AM

Yeah I know where the cradle bolts are, but I just don't understand his instructions about the timing of loosening them. He makes it sound like you completely lower the car and then loosen them.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:21 AM

i did mine on a lift.
put 2 jacks, one on each side of the K member (i think k member) piece that runs directly under the engine from wheel to wheel.
put a jack under the transmission cross member..now those 3 floor jacks will support the entire engine and transmission. take off the nuts (4 on each) on the struts...then there are 3 bolts on each side of the k member, that bolt straight UP, into the car..2 long and 1 short on each side...then unbolt the transmission cross member, and raise the car up.

after you unhook all wires/hoses/brake lines,,the directions i just gave you doesn't take very long at all...if your doing this friday, i'd get under there like today and thursday and soak those k member bolts good with some wd40 or something..i got mine off but my dad's got some serious impact tools.
i did this just last week, and also last night, (making some changes to my new engine)
the 3 jack method works good cuz it allows u to move the subframe once it is out of the car. engine can come out that way COMPLETELY assembled, longtubes and all. good luck
-Jason
Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mystic97Z
i did mine on a lift.
put 2 jacks, one on each side of the K member (i think k member) piece that runs directly under the engine from wheel to wheel.
put a jack under the transmission cross member..now those 3 floor jacks will support the entire engine and transmission. take off the nuts (4 on each) on the struts...then there are 3 bolts on each side of the k member, that bolt straight UP, into the car..2 long and 1 short on each side...then unbolt the transmission cross member, and raise the car up.

after you unhook all wires/hoses/brake lines,,the directions i just gave you doesn't take very long at all...if your doing this friday, i'd get under there like today and thursday and soak those k member bolts good with some wd40 or something..i got mine off but my dad's got some serious impact tools.
i did this just last week, and also last night, (making some changes to my new engine)
the 3 jack method works good cuz it allows u to move the subframe once it is out of the car. engine can come out that way COMPLETELY assembled, longtubes and all. good luck
-Jason
i've done this, put blocks of wood between the lower control arms and the k-member, left the wheels on, set it down on the floor, and rolled it out from under the car with a floor jack under the trans
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 PM

You do lower it all the way. If you take them out without being on the cart, then the motor will just drop out and smack the ground. Thats bad. I can get 4 of them out with a impact and 2 of them with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet when it is on the cart. Just make sure your cart is in the right position when you let the car down. Dont cover the bolt head. Its really quite simple.