LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Doing the LT1 carb conversion was the best thing I ever did for my car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 03:57 PM

but the real question here is how many stock bottom end , heads and cam lt1 cars do you see running high 11's n/a? low 11's with a 75shot! and a stock rear with 4.10's none the less. i wana know how he launched it on theat n2o run. hed prolly go low 10's with a 150shot. remember stock bottom end, heads and cam.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up

See the numbers for your self Hot Rod did this swap January 1997.Iron headed Lt1 Dynamometer results
Test #1 Gm dual plane,stock Qjet ,stock Hei,1 3/4 headers,2 1/2 flowmaster p/n 42553 on 92 octane @3750 rpm 415 tq @5250 rpm 366 hp.
Test #2 with hot cam stock rockers @3750 rpm 424 tq @6000 rpm 409 hp
Test #3 1.6 roller rockers added @4250 rpm 430 tq @5750 rpm 421 hp
They go on to say carbs intake swap REAL bonus is the added runner lenght.
Not bad #'s for that cheesey GM intake.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by FireAm94
Sure am glad I live in Alabama hehe. No checks whatsoever.

Joe
Don't hold your breath, it's just a matter of time before you'll have emissions checks as well. It's going nationwide so the guys that removed their emission equipment are not going to pass when they come to test.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:33 PM

They had talked about it but they're not going with it for now.

Joe
Old 01-07-2004, 05:52 PM

I think it's cool. Nothing like hearing the secondaries open up

I don't know if I'd call it a step back..... I say use whatever works, and his carb setup seems to be working well!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by MadMaxz28
but the real question here is how many stock bottom end , heads and cam lt1 cars do you see running high 11's n/a?

You don't read the board much do you? Just take a look at all of the guys on here running high 11's with heads and cam. Take a look at altjar's car He is running high 11's with a GM 847 cam, STOCK untouched heads, and a stock rear with 4:33 gears in a M6. Not to mention its a stock bottom end too. Slap some high flowing heads and who knows, maybe he can get low 11s on a FI setup. Just search around and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

IF they still you Carb's in racing...I'd never call it a step back... For daily driving...yeah a Carb might suck...but for racing it's ideal....Their on both Pro street and stock cars....pushing over 500hp...they must be there for a reason....and we know how technical the Stock cars can be.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:01 PM

....the important thing in life is to do what makes YOU happy. An if having a carb. makes you happy, DO IT ....

....And as far as taking your smog off. It's none of the Goverments f****** business what we do to OUR cars. There are WAY to many rules and regulations which in the long run just raise our taxes. They can put smog checks in EVERY county in the entire country and if WE want to run without it; WE WILL FIND A WAY! ....
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 PM

Man, a lot of you guys are *******s. A guy does something to his car that he really likes, and tries to let everyone in on why he likes it, and a bunch of you guys tell him he is dumb for doing it. Any car that runs in the 11's NA is respectable, no matter how he got there.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:35 PM

fwiw i have been 12.3x with a completely stock longblock and the 4l60e,and 11.doh's with some nitrous.......
Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Originally posted by neat
Man, a lot of you guys are *******s. A guy does something to his car that he really likes, and tries to let everyone in on why he likes it, and a bunch of you guys tell him he is dumb for doing it. Any car that runs in the 11's NA is respectable, no matter how he got there.

THat's what people always do on this site...they bash aguy for trying something different...but if it works and the guy's knocking off like .5-.7secs ( just saying...) then I'd bet everyone would be running to the nearest parts counter to pick up an LT-1 Carb Kit...he is right though in allot of ways...tunning a fuel injected car is annoying...everything and I mean EVERYTHING!!! comes down to the CPU....can be very annoying if you don't have the equipment to do so...on a carb just change this...that....start it up...go.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 AM

When I got into racing my LT1...which I might add was a big mistake...could have built a big block chevy that would absolutely destroyed basically any car here on motor...twice over and have some coin to go on a nice vacation...but enough of that.

What is the stock RPM limit?
What is the max RWHP you can get with a stock ECM thru a MAF on motor?
What does aftermarket software cost to remove such bull**** limitations?

If you know the above answers...then you see the beauty of a carb with someone who wants to go fast on motor.

Like mentioned about S/C or turbo cars...well, FI is hard to beat.

And people that are ragging about what your MPG, give me a break...go sell your car and race a Civic then.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by CANTONRACER
When I got into racing my LT1...which I might add was a big mistake...could have built a big block chevy that would absolutely destroyed basically any car here on motor...twice over and have some coin to go on a nice vacation...but enough of that.

If you know the above answers...then you see the beauty of a carb with someone who wants to go fast on motor.

Like mentioned about S/C or turbo cars...well, FI is hard to beat.

And people that are ragging about what your MPG, give me a break...go sell your car and race a Civic then.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:35 PM

When you're right, you're right!!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:26 PM

7500 rpm

Somewhere north of 700 rwhp, 1000 fwhp.

http://para.noid.org/~lj

TunerCAT is $90 and the cable is about $100.

www.tunercat.com

I believe a Holley 750 DP is around $400 plus $200 for the intake plus $200 for a distributor plus odd & ends.

Mike

Quick Reply: Doing the LT1 carb conversion was the best thing I ever did for my car.