LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does anyone make S10 LT1 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Does anyone make S10 LT1 headers?

My Dad, my brother and I are attemting to put a 96 LT1 and 4L60E into a 96 S10. Does anyone know if someone makes headers that will work on this truck? Also where could i get some wiring diagrams to make the computer for the LT1 work in the truck and how to make the speedo work. It would be nice if someone made a plug and play kit. I know this has been done before because if have seen them. Its just hard to find info on. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 PM

Re: Does anyone make S10 LT1 headers?

Well i have seen headers on just that conversion, so yes. I think they were hooker mid length SBC but not sure on that.

For the speedo you need to wire in resistors into the instrument panel to get the reading correct. Once again i dont have all the details, sorry.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:19 PM

lt1 headers are the same as any other small block header. they all take the same headers, and are no different demensionally. u'd be best going lt1 with a carb manifold, and a 700r4, but if u insist on computer, I'm not the one to ask on that.
'
Old 03-09-2005, 10:37 PM

Any of the conversion headers will work fine. Just add a pair of O2 bungs for the sensors. I'm not sure on the gauges, I would just replace them with aftermarket units myself.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 PM

Try Painless Wiring for a harness. Other wise give yourself a week of tracing wires and reading wiring diagrams.
No big deal, just takes time.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:21 PM

sanderson is the only shortie header that has 1-3/4 primary tubes and fit the D-port lt1 head properly,i have used the heddman 1-5/8 shorties without much problem....come and visit us at www.s10v8.com you can also check this www.lt4blazer.net
Old 11-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Does anyone have a part number and a dealer for those sanderson headers?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 AM

You'll have to search on their site.

www.sandersonheaders.com
Old 11-11-2005, 11:36 AM

also check out www.s-seriesforum.com , www.s10forum.com , www.jtr.com , www.s-series.org. it's not hard to find the info, you're just looking in the wrong place.

Sandersons are decent quality headers, had a set, but i assume my tune wasn't right cause I couldn't keep the coating on them. hedmans have thin flanges that warp real easy, but they came out w/ an elite series that are supposed to fix that.

as far as the speedo goes, i'm pretty sure it should be 40 pulses per mile just like the f-body so you should be able to just wire it right up w/o any problems.

as far as wiring, the engine and tranny should pretty much be contained within the harness, all you'll need to hook up is the gauges, power, ground, keyed power, and the aldl, it's not that hard. Go to shoebox's website to pick up the wiring diagram for the f-body pcm, then search ebay for helm factory service manuals to get the absolute best wiring schematic you can find.

good luck, let me know if you need any other info. (I'm hotwire on all the other sites as well)
Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM

Hotwire,
Thank you for the info. You dont happen to know the part number of the sandersons you have do you? Sounds like a similar setup. The thing im worried about is I made my own motor mounts and I have the engine as far back as close to the firewall as i could. It may be placed a little different than yours is and hopefully the sanderson will fit. Were the dport? THanks
Old 11-11-2005, 01:34 PM

yes, they were the d-port. go to the sanderson website listed above, get their number and call them, you can get any of their conversion headers w/ a d-port flange. think i had the cs-12s or something along that line.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Read what they are writing to you it may help, not trying to be rude but they are taking the time to write you and help just read it and your answer is within.

Sorry we cannot put this in for you over the internet.

I love those trucks, have had a few of my own and they are fun. Hope it turns out well.

If you are worried about height have someone measure from a common point on the fire wall in relation to the block and compare yours to see how different it is. Same goes for front and back.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Since the motor is in the rearward position you may have to massage the firewall just a hair to keep the muffler shop happy. If you do get sandersons, follow the directions, no header flange gasket, use hi temp rtv, just enough to seal, don't goop it all over the heads, it can burn off and the silicone will coat your o2 sensors and kill em. also, whatever size collector you get, I recommend rolling over to autozone, pick up two packs of mr gasket ultra seal collector gaskets from the mullet section and doubling up. Worked the best for me, tried all the others, soft aluminum, etc.

Here's what I've done and what I'm working on:

89 w/ LT4 conversion, this was the day I sold it (have a beautiful daughter now):
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...icture011r.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...8P1170007r.jpg

Here's the awd project I'm working on now, lots to do...

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...0Pb080002r.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...3Pb080004r.jpg
Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
Read what they are writing to you it may help, not trying to be rude but they are taking the time to write you and help just read it and your answer is within.

Sorry we cannot put this in for you over the internet.

I love those trucks, have had a few of my own and they are fun. Hope it turns out well.

If you are worried about height have someone measure from a common point on the fire wall in relation to the block and compare yours to see how different it is. Same goes for front and back.
I am reading what they are writing, you "are" being rude, and im not asking anyone to put anything in for me. If you have no helpful information, there is no need for you to even post a thread.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:41 PM

hotwire, thanks for you help. Looks like you have quite a project yourself. Thats should really be quick with the AWD. I might take some pics of my project with the digi and show them to ya sometime.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make S10 LT1 headers?