LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Different Plugs affecting gas milage?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:14 PM

Different Plugs affecting gas milage?????

Anybody have experiences with diff. plugs affecting gas milage.....i had STOCK delco plat's w/75k on them and i put in bosch plat's and maybe a slight increase in power i dunno, but pretty damn sure i noticeable DECREASE in gas milage???anybody else?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:39 PM

Re: Different Plugs affecting gas milage?????

Originally posted by Blue96z28
Anybody have experiences with diff. plugs affecting gas milage.....i had STOCK delco plat's w/75k on them and i put in bosch plat's and maybe a slight increase in power i dunno, but pretty damn sure i noticeable DECREASE in gas milage???anybody else?
ive had bosch +4's on mine for 2 years never had a decrease in gas mileage, why would you think a spark can cause that
Old 06-06-2003, 12:07 AM

I had 2 sets of bosche platinums and both times i got bad gas mileage, but that was the least of my problems. The car started backfiring. a while back i was actually give a technical reason why the bosches dont take to well to the car. I surprised you got a response of someone who has had a good experiance with them. I will never use them again.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by fbird95
I had 2 sets of bosche platinums and both times i got bad gas mileage, but that was the least of my problems. The car started backfiring. a while back i was actually give a technical reason why the bosches dont take to well to the car. I surprised you got a response of someone who has had a good experiance with them. I will never use them again.
first off theres lots of guys on this board useing bosch plugs having good results from them, and tell me why installing them would give you bad gas mileage compared to any other plug?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:13 AM

did you have decreased performance as well as gas milage, b/c i was'nt sure if i had decreased performance or not, the car ran a 13.6 basically stock so i figured they were'nt to bad, can anyone else have bad experience with them? what plugs would you recommend, NGK, DELCO's????
Old 06-06-2003, 12:15 AM

my experiences w/ bad gas mlg and bosch's i noticed it right after i installed them, howver i only used the crappiest plat's they had, not the +4 or anything????
Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 AM

I have em in but I've always gotten bad gas mileage (that's not why you bought the car I hope). I've heard from ppl that know a lot about these engines that they are great and heard from ppl I didn't trust to wash my car that they suck. I think they are fine. Prolly not much better or worse than any other. The only thing i've heard consistently to stay away from are those spilt fires.

my .02
Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 AM

first off theres lots of guys on this board useing bosch plugs having good results from them, and tell me why installing them would give you bad gas mileage compared to any other plug?

I dont know the actual techical reason why, but if you do a search you could probably find it, it was in a post about the Bosche platinums.

Secondly, if you refer to the post, he asked for experiances with gas milage lose and different plugs. That is exactly what i told him. It just so happened that i had bad experiances with the plugs.

If the Bosches are working for you and others, fine use them, but please dont tell me how all lot of people are happy with them. I'm not. That was his question and i gave him my answer.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:04 PM

yeah thanks for the info, wether good or bad, also is there any plugs that everyone stands by, or anyone haev actual proof of a plugs gain in performance, maybe a mag test or anything???i was also think ngk tr55's or something else, anyone have any ideas? i think i might get headers soon so i will prob pull the plugs when i get headers....
also on a side note, i put bosch plat in my 85 truck w/brand new 355 w/everything, and drove about 500 and bam one just died for no reason, replaced it and no problems until i sold it 500mi later, also in my car when i put these in began to develop a DEAD miss after about 20 mi, so i began ro check plugs one by one, looked at cy.2 and the electrode was melted and warped, i have no engine problems whatsoever that could cause this...just a bad plug i guess? but this seems to be happening alot with bosch
Old 06-06-2003, 08:29 PM

I just replaced a set of bosch platinums, in hopes of improving my mileage to levels the car used to have. One thing I noticed about the plugs after pulling them out was that the thin platimun electrode imbedded in the ceramic was either missing or burned away. (The tip of the electrode was no longer flush with the ceramic) I would estimate that the electrode was about .005 to .007 thousands under the ceramic.
I thought the plats weren't supposed to wear out?
Wondering if anyone else had seen this.. I still have the plugs and can send a pic or two if anyone is interested in seeing it.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:36 PM

i would like to see the pic, send to internetonlyhaha@aol.com or post up here would be better if you dont mind....also, have you replaced the plugs with something else yet? did you have bad mpg while the were in? have you fixed the prob. with new plugs????
Old 06-06-2003, 08:41 PM

I'll take a pic or two tonight.
I replaced them with the same plugs... They seem to be working ok, car runs strong and smoother, however I now see alot of knock since the change (had none before). I won't say it's the plugs, I found out a had a stuck egr valve and cleaned it up and unfroze it last night. Made a noticeable difference.. I get the feeling that this may have been causing my bad mileage and slight stumble at low idle... I still have to replace it once the new egr valve comes in...
Old 06-06-2003, 08:47 PM

bosch +4 are crap.

electricity takes the shortest path between two points............having 4 paths weakens the spark.

get NGK, or AC delco........although i think the nitrous guys have good luck with Autolite also.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:50 PM

how can i check my egr vavle? it may also be the cause of my bad gas mlg?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 PM

I checked mine be trying to push in the diaghragm on the valve, normally it should move, mine was stuck solid.

It's only been one day since I cleaned up the egr and I've only put 90 miles on the new tank of gas. Normally drive 100 miles/ workday day so I'll see how the mileage is on Tuesday...

Also, Blue96z28,

You mentioned posting the pics (assuming to this thread) Tried to do it but couldn't figure it out. Is it possible and if so how?

Last edited by mobleman; 06-06-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Different Plugs affecting gas milage?????