LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Damn Brakes...ANyone else stumped on a Low to almost NO pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:34 PM

Question Damn Brakes...ANyone else stumped on a Low to almost NO pedal?

I'm a little confused about why my brake pedal is unusually low, but after the hotcam install it is!? When I turn the key halfway to get power and to turn the accessories on; the brake light flashes once, then stays on. I was wondering if it's a simple sign of what's wrong? Also when it flashes it clicks.. is that normal?

Any how here's what I've tried:

Bleeding Brakes, Checked parking brake, replaced Master Cylinder, replaced Booster, checked sliders on calipers, checked fluid level...

The only other thing I can think of is the ABS unit, I might of possibly damaged it by accidently hitting it with my prybar... but I'm not sure...

Any ideas? What's this pump I hear of under the splash guard on the drivers side? Where exactly is it, I wanna check to see if maybe a vacuum hose is cracked or coming off,...

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:56 PM

I would have thought you would have fixed it if you did all of that. It's my understanding that if the ABS system goes out you will still have brakes, just not ABS brakes. So if I had to guess, I don't think it would be that.

Also is it the brake light or the ABS light that is on?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:07 PM

Would you mind bleeding the brakes again?? only this time wrap two or three turns of teflon tape on the bleeder screws thread first???

I acidentally left air on my ABS several times and ended up with a low brake pedal... very spongy too... way worst than when I started doing the bleeding... I soon realised a bit of air was sipping thorough the threads...

I did the teflon trick to all of them including the ABS unit... now i can feel the brakes work the way they are supposed to..

I hope is not too much work for you to do the bleeing all over again.. but Its just a thought... since it did happen to me already I figured I pass it on to you.

Marvin
Old 08-02-2003, 05:09 PM

Usaully when your vacum line to the brake booster goes it just takes away some of the power brakes. That means a harder peddle. I've forgotten to hook up the booster line a couple of times on different vehicles and that's what has happened. But you may have a bad booster, I've seen that happen before where the pedal doesn't want to come back up or does it slowly. Is your problem something like that? Or is it just spongey?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:18 PM

If your brake light is on,you have uneven pressure.Bleed the ABS first,then the pass.rear,drivers rear,pass, frtont,drivers front.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, you guys made some good points, but I knew about them already and tried them...

It IS the Brake light, not ABS light. Also it's been happening since the hotcam install... (Yes all vacuum lines are hooked up)

Oh, after all that bleeding, the RF screw broken off the caliper...

Has anyone bled their brakes through the REAR of the ABS unit? I see a big bleeder there, but it seems to have nothing to do with the bleeding sequence....?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:48 AM

I did the ABS uni......two screws. thats where i had all the air.