LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Custom heater hoses. Who made their own?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Custom heater hoses. Who made their own?

Welp the stock heaterhoses on my 93 Z are on their last leg. I ve cut and spliced untill there just a small loop on the WP. Now the aluminum/ rubber crimp is leaking so Im thinking of just buying some 3/4 and 5/8 hose and running over the top and to the side of the engine to the heater core.

Has anyone done this? Fk spending $160, more money for go fast parts!

If your reading this and have performed this on your car please post pictures!

Thanks, Josh.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Remove the crimp and splice. JMHO
Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up Remove crimp!

Absolutely. Just make sure to air bleed the system well after changing! It is easy to bleed, but sometimes you have to do it 2 or 3 times. As for heater hoses, I have changed all of mine and the hardest part is figuring how to route around hot and / or chaffing areas. Plastic zip ties can really be your friend in tight places!

Last edited by sallmon; 09-24-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Poor typing skills!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM

SO yall are retaining the factory aluminum pieces, taking a hacksaw to the inside of the crimped ends, then just splicing in new rubber using hose clamps?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM

No: do not use a hack saw. You need to remove the crimp by sliting it end to end---without going though to the metal pipes. I.e. slit it to the point where you can just peel it off. Most use a dremel tool with a metal saw blade. Doing this way preserves the pipe underneath, especially the splayed part of the pipe which provides a secured connection to the hose via worm-screw clamps, etc. Buying, renting, borrowing a dremmel is a good way to go. Just be careful with it because they are extremely fast and you chew all the way through a crimp into the pipe very easily---not to mention your own flesh if you are not careful to set everything up before hand so that you have the access room and angle to do the work. In areas where you ever need to replace a section of rubber hose exposed to extreme heat (headers) you can use some metal flex hose from Summit in those areas. Still good Idea to pull hoses back with ties to put some space between the hose and the headers. If I was to move my feet right now, I would be stepping on a piece of that hose left over from one of my fixes. JMHJO
Old 09-29-2008, 03:46 AM

Yeah you can use the stock piping no problem.. I just took a big flat head screw driver and a good pair of channel locks and went to town on those factory crimp on fittings. Then just take a new piece of hose and a hose clamp and you're done.

If I had a Dremel that would have been probably easier/faster but I still got it done easily. I also did this to the lower radiator feed line that runs out of the very bottom driver side of the radiator and into some metal lines along side the block to the back of the motor. On a side note when this line bursts you lose all of your coolant very fast lol... =)