LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Custom Cam for stock heads HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM

Custom Cam for stock heads HELP??

I am getting a custom camshaft built for my 96 TA A4 car. I have a close friend who works at comp cams who is going to build the cam for me at a very reasonable price. I have been messing around with the Idea about many different cam choices, CC305, XE 224/230, XE 224/236, etc.
But I know that there is a perfect cam for everyones car setups. All of these off the shelve cams are great but, I believe a custom grind could almost be perfect. my knowledge on camshafts is limited, thats why I am asking most of you guys to chime in on this thread to either educate or help me with my cam choice. THIS is what I came up with XE 226/234 113 LSA .545 .555(with 1.6 RR's). The reason be that I know stock heads flow there max at or around .550 lift on the intake and exhaust. I could not choose which LSA I would perfer between the 112 or 114 so I decided on a 113 LSA. The car may or may not see Nitrous later if it does a 100 shot NX will be the max it will get, this is the reason for the 234 duration on the exhaust. I figured if the 224/236 could be used N/A and nitrous I suppose my figured cam choice could work with both as well.

Here is my setup A4 3:73, 3500 stall (tranny cooler, shift kit), LongTubes, True duels Xpipe dynomax bullets, PCmforless programming,1.6 RR's, LS1 front clip with Ls1 induction and SSra ram air kit(significantly better than a Lt1 induction IMHO) Electric water pump, Welds all around or 17X11 TTin the rear, sphon rear suspension setup(TA, LCA, PS airbag relc braket, BMR k-memeber, a little bit of weight reduction (back seats, front sway bar, no spar tire or jack,etc)
Delteq coil packs (absolutly love my delteq) I may have a few other odd end stuff like Lt4 KM, 160 stat, and etc but I beleive thats about it. I have stock TB, and MAF sensor (just descreened)

I know that the XE grind have a very nice and flat TQ curve so I would like my 3500 stall to put me into my max torque and keep my there. This is my daily driver and I need a NICE streetabilty setup. This car does see some track time (once a month or so). This car runs very well and I plan on taking it back to the track after the cam.

I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANYONES HELP. THANKS
Old 08-05-2004, 01:05 PM

Re: Custom Cam for stock heads HELP??

As has been said many times before, the best cam for a given engine/vehicle/driver combination needs to be designed (or spec'd from existing lobe profiles) specifically for that combination. There are folks who do this for a living, so the design is rarely free. Sometimes they include the design in your cost of the cam and associated valvetrain parts IF you buy the stuff from them. In your case, you are buying the cam from your friend, so a engine designer will probably charge you for the design.

Also, to get things to operate the way you want, you will probably need to change pushrods, springs, retainers and maybe lifters. Again, the designer will spec all of those things. If you don't use the complete package, you won't get optimum results.

My guess is that you'll get many suggestions from board members. IMO, free advice, especially on cam choice, is worth just about what you pay for it.

There are folks at CC who could spend enough time specing a valvetrain for you, but that's not something they can afford to do, nor could you afford their price! Remember they are paid well by professional race teams to do that kind of stuff. The normal tech line doesn't do what you want.

There is really "no free lunch".

My $.02
Old 08-05-2004, 04:54 PM

Re: Custom Cam for stock heads HELP??

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
As has been said many times before, the best cam for a given engine/vehicle/driver combination needs to be designed (or spec'd from existing lobe profiles) specifically for that combination. There are folks who do this for a living, so the design is rarely free. Sometimes they include the design in your cost of the cam and associated valvetrain parts IF you buy the stuff from them. In your case, you are buying the cam from your friend, so a engine designer will probably charge you for the design.

Also, to get things to operate the way you want, you will probably need to change pushrods, springs, retainers and maybe lifters. Again, the designer will spec all of those things. If you don't use the complete package, you won't get optimum results.

My guess is that you'll get many suggestions from board members. IMO, free advice, especially on cam choice, is worth just about what you pay for it.

There are folks at CC who could spend enough time specing a valvetrain for you, but that's not something they can afford to do, nor could you afford their price! Remember they are paid well by professional race teams to do that kind of stuff. The normal tech line doesn't do what you want.

There is really "no free lunch".

My $.02
Agreed!

OldSStroker didn't mention any names, for obvious reasons, but I don't think anyone will be upset if I do.

Check with Bret Bauer, Bauer Racing Engines. He's been doing alot of work with the LT1 engine and he's a regular on the board. Bret knows his stuff.

May also want to see what Joe Overton (do a search) has to say. Last I heard he wasn't specing cams... but that seems to change everytime his name is mentioned. He has quite a few success stories, which I'm sure you'll find as you search.

Also check with SAR2K. He works for Thunder Racing and really seems to be doing alot of work with LTx.

If all else fails, drop me a PM. I know a few people who spec custom grinds using some pretty sophisticated software.

Good luck.

-Mindgame