LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

CSR water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

CSR water pump question

Hey all!! I just installed a new CSR electric water pump. Took the car out for a 60 mile run up the interstate and back. The water temp sat at about 185-190. I have a 160 t-stat and seem to remember the temp running cooler even in the 90+ heat. When I got off the interstate, it cooled down a bit. Seems like the electric pump is not circulating as much coolant as the stocker did. Anyone out there had similar experience?? Any comments???
Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Sure you have it coming of a reliable fuse relay and do you have a fuse inline?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 AM

EWP will run a little hotter during driving RPMs becuase it doesnt flow as much as the stock one, But it will run cooler at a light or at idle becuase it flows more than the stock
Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
Hey all!! I just installed a new CSR electric water pump. Took the car out for a 60 mile run up the interstate and back. The water temp sat at about 185-190. I have a 160 t-stat and seem to remember the temp running cooler even in the 90+ heat. When I got off the interstate, it cooled down a bit. Seems like the electric pump is not circulating as much coolant as the stocker did. Anyone out there had similar experience?? Any comments???
Have you checked to make sure your coolant level is where it should be? It's possible the system needs to settle.
Originally Posted by Romero155
EWP will run a little hotter during driving RPMs becuase it doesnt flow as much as the stock one, But it will run cooler at a light or at idle becuase it flows more than the stock
That's news to me...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Electricals are good. Just to get it working and tested, I ran the pump +power through a 15A fuse and then to the +terminal block behind the battery, and ground to a nearby post. So line drop in the relay can't be the problem. I still have to interlock it to the ignition switch with a relay. Right now the fuse is the switch. Fortunately the Z isn't my dd .

Got plenty of coolant, bled it while filling the radiator, after the engine had heated in the driveway and again about 20 miles down the road, just to make sure. Checked the coolant level when I got home and had plenty.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 PM

I run a csr ewp and my car runs the same way. With the 180 stat I see about 195 on the highway and just bairly over 180 at idle.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:10 PM

I have a csr pump and have had it for almost a year. It works great car runs at about 170.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by LT-x7
I run a csr ewp and my car runs the same way. With the 180 stat I see about 195 on the highway and just bairly over 180 at idle.
Fascinating. Especially when the e-waterpump manufactuers boast on how their pump flows better than a stocker...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 PM

if you dont have anythin nice to say, dont say it...

any way. every car will be different. my car sat a hair above the second hash, and never moved. the only time it moved was when my air dam was falling off and i didnt know about it until temps got higher than normal...they never got as high as it did with the normal wp though.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Severous01
if you dont have anythin nice to say, dont say it...

any way. every car will be different. my car sat a hair above the second hash, and never moved. the only time it moved was when my air dam was falling off and i didnt know about it until temps got higher than normal...they never got as high as it did with the normal wp though.
That's the kind of testimony if heard over and over again so it'd only make sense to question these other claims.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the CSR will flow more than stock all the time.....don't they clain 37 GPM? not sure.....

Your shrouds and everything in good shape? air dam etc? It should run cooler with it for sure
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM

Shrouds and air dam are in good shape. I'm starting to think I got a dud that isn't flowing what it should. I guess I'll get in contact with Summit and see if I can get an exchange.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

could be lots of things....clog in the block or radiator.....

search around....find a pump shop, sludge pumps etc, ask them if anyone has a flow meter. Just tee it in to the WP outlet and cut on the WP...see what the GPM is flowing. Thats where I would start. Shoud be pretty easy to do.

Cooling systems are fairly simple.....high pressure & good flow are a must. The T-stat and fans do the rest. If you pressure tested your cap and its good you either have a flow restriction or a weak pump
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR

That's the kind of testimony if heard over and over again so it'd only make sense to question these other claims.

you make no sense.

get an exchange if you think it's not right. you should be cooler or better than stock. check your rad for buildup, check your t-stat and make SURE it's working...put it in boiling water. check your stat housing for crap in there that can cause a blockage.

it's been known that t-stats are bad in the box...could be your prob. also, anything electronic MAY be bad from the box. ya never know. but if you tested the unit with a switch directly and it worked, you probably have other problems........

you havent tried any 'home remedy trix' like eggs or pepper have you? i'll go ahead and call you an idiot now IF YOU DID... otherwise, keep troubleshooting.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM

A stock mechanical waterpump does outflow a the CSR while driving. The CSR flows a static 37GPM, a stock mechanical pump under load will flow around 45gpm or a little more depending on your RPM range. The mezierre pump I believe is rated at a higher gpm. I noticed this on my car as well, at idle it runs cooler, but under load it is a little warmer.

Quick Reply: CSR water pump question