LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Criticize my next setup...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Re: Criticize my next setup...

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Shon, I'm only on his case because he went on and on about making 450rwhp SAE with his AI stuff over half a year ago and talking smack the whole time... it's at least 6 months later and still nothing.
Been 2 years since that motor was pulled, but Russ talks the **** for sure, but has always come thru in the end. But that is his deal now....I'll let him respond more if he wants.

Question for you though....

The "end" results... what exactly does that entail? Does that mean that once they get all the bugs worked out they are happy? I just don't get that at all. How many guys on here are dissatisfied with the packages that Lloyd and I put out? I haven't found one yet.
Bret
Back about 3 years ago (guessing it was when I had the PPM car and needed H/C set up) LE was new on the scene along with some others at the time. But was in the need of something in a hurry so I opted for a package that I was not happy with (stock LT4/HOT stuff). It did what it needed to do, got me on the road in a hurry and I messed with it enough to get it in the 11.9s at 3500#s, thought that was pretty good. But all during that time I read on here about LE and Ai and the few others that were trying. GTP was on here, and never was impressed with their track numbers, even on same track/same day deal, the stock LT4 stuff was running door to door with them. But as LE got more and more popular of course dyno numbers would pop up and then track results. And the track results were not impressive to ME. I kept reading and it seemed like all that I would read would have great dyno numbers but track experiences they were not happy with, that is where that comment came from. I am sure there are happy customers and as we all know, those that are unhappy will tell more than those that are happy. But as time passed I quit keeping up with the packages out there. I started the bolt on stuff and have done well with my car.
Now the stuff that I read of poor track performance, were there follow ups and then good results, I dont know. And maybe I am too hard core at this racing stuff and am willing to give up some things to have what it takes on the track, but hey, its my car and i build it to haul butt at the track (for what it is).

Do all companies have happy and sad customers? sure they do. Just wish more happy folks would post results from what ever company they are happy with.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:49 PM

Shon,

I think more of that is due to the type of buyer that goes with the LE packages. Most LE cars are not drag only cars with significant weight reduction and a well setup suspension, they are street cars that like to hit the strip every now and then. I am sure if someone put the time/effort into getting the car down the 1320' like you do with your bolt on car, the results would be more impressive. On the other hand, the people that tend to go with AI, are those who are really hardcore racers and will build that drag only car and get it to cut sub 1.5 60's and run very impressive times. Look at Rick Abare's car. It has the AI CNC heads, solid roller, and cuts 1.28 60's. Most LE cars are in the 1.6-1.8 range, and that makes a huge difference. I don't think there exists any hard evidence that one company is 'better' than the other, but if an LE setup was tuned at the track like Rick's car has been, I don't think there would be as much of a difference as many people would like to think.

FWIW, Clint (T/A lt1) has run 11.15 high 1.5 60's on a cc306 and LE trickflows. I know the trickflows have more potential than the stock castings, but there is also a solid roller vs hydraulic comparison there.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Which valvetrain setup do I need to go with?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:02 PM

Now this I can agree with. I see it as 2 seperate clients.

Originally Posted by TQdrivenws6
Shon,

I think more of that is due to the type of buyer that goes with the LE packages. Most LE cars are not drag only cars with significant weight reduction and a well setup suspension, they are street cars that like to hit the strip every now and then. I am sure if someone put the time/effort into getting the car down the 1320' like you do with your bolt on car, the results would be more impressive. On the other hand, the people that tend to go with AI, are those who are really hardcore racers and will build that drag only car and get it to cut sub 1.5 60's and run very impressive times. Look at Rick Abare's car. It has the AI CNC heads, solid roller, and cuts 1.28 60's. Most LE cars are in the 1.6-1.8 range, and that makes a huge difference. I don't think there exists any hard evidence that one company is 'better' than the other, but if an LE setup was tuned at the track like Rick's car has been, I don't think there would be as much of a difference as many people would like to think.

FWIW, Clint (T/A lt1) has run 11.15 high 1.5 60's on a cc306 and LE trickflows. I know the trickflows have more potential than the stock castings, but there is also a solid roller vs hydraulic comparison there.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

Kurt, one that works. You don't need a SR to make power.

Shon, I don't know how many more happy campers can post why they are happy with us more than they do on a daily basis. I don't know why there is always this label on one company more than another but I have a feeling that the $$ talk all that they have too.

Bret
Old 05-02-2006, 02:18 PM

Like I said, i have stopped following, this is the first LE thread I have read in a long time!! And by the title who would have known it was an LE thread, so that is probably why I clicked on it.
And was he happy? We dont know yet.....

Shon, I don't know how many more happy campers can post why they are happy with us more than they do on a daily basis. I don't know why there is always this label on one company more than another but I have a feeling that the $$ talk all that they have too.

Bret
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 PM

Is my 1.6 roller rocker setup w/comp hardened pushrods and stock sized ferea valaves good enough? I want to know about what lift cam I will be running so I know what lifters and springs to get. This is going to be a custom cam on LE3 heads flowing 279CFM. It will also be 12:1 compression w/a 3.5" stroke.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie
Is my 1.6 roller rocker setup w/comp hardened pushrods and stock sized ferea valaves good enough? I want to know about what lift cam I will be running so I know what lifters and springs to get. This is going to be a custom cam on LE3 heads flowing 279CFM. It will also be 12:1 compression w/a 3.5" stroke.
Are those LT1 castings? What's the runner volume?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 PM

Yes, they are LT1 castings. I don't know what the number volume is. I'll have to wait for dhirocz on that one.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie
Toss the hardened pushrods out... I can tell you that for sure.

Whoever does the cam can tell you what springs to get, I can't really help ya there if it's not my cam cause I don't know enough about it to get you there.

If you have LE3 heads the valves aren't stock sized, they are much larger than that.

Bret
Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Like I said, i have stopped following, this is the first LE thread I have read in a long time!! And by the title who would have known it was an LE thread, so that is probably why I clicked on it.
And was he happy? We dont know yet.....
Maybe you should keep up before you pass judgement.

Bret
Old 05-02-2006, 03:05 PM

Maybe you should keep up before you pass judgement.

Bret
Maybe but would rather not get caught up in the net BS as so many folks have.

(holding other snide remarks)
Old 05-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Sorry Kurt, but I'm still really not seeing how you're going to get much (if any) more than 450rwhp. Hell, look at what Tim (95Brid) has in his motor and he's hitting around 475rwhp...http://www.geocities.com/herrint/95Bird-1.html
Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 PM

475rwhp is not bad. All he has to do is get a single-plane intake and he'll be set. It looks like I will go with a single-plane.

He does have some shortcomings though... Like the single exhaust. I am sure that with the proper tuning and combination that 500 can be reached.

Last edited by Kurt Crosbie; 05-02-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Maybe but would rather not get caught up in the net BS as so many folks have.

(holding other snide remarks)
Don't hold back on my account... if you want to make the quote in parenthesies then whip it out already.

I already know you and Russ are buddies, too bad you can't drive your own ride to those times.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-02-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Criticize my next setup...