LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cracked dash from the sun, fixable??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:01 AM

Cracked dash from the sun, fixable??

OK, we're all familiar with the aircraft carrier landing deck of a dash we have, the one that is flush the the windshield up in front and contains the defroster vent and security LED blinky thingy.

Well, yesterday I came to my car and lo and behold the sun had finally made a large crack in it. Before the little defroster vent fins had individually started to crack, but now the actual dash itself has formed a sizeable (noticeable) crack in it.

I cannot figure out if this piece of the dash is the same that contains the riveted plaque with the VIN number, but I don't think it is. I want to replace this piece of dash. Question is, can I do this? And the all important how much does it cost, and how?

Is it even worth it? I remember Injuneer talking about it one time before but its sort of vague and I can't really find it in a search, and this isn't a common question from what I can find.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 AM

Both mine and my friends have cracked as well. We were actually thinking of just leaving it and just getting a dash mat, but anyone who knows how much a new one is/ how easy it is to replace, please let us know.
If it's near impossible (like any work in our engine compartment
) I'll be getting a custom mat, so if any has one, could ya post how much it was.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 AM

Mine cracked a long time ago. All u do is pull it out. It snaps in there.. just start prying around the edges and you'll see it comes out. Its not the same piece that holds the Vin number.

You can pick up the front dash for around 50 bucks at a junk yard or from a board member. When you put it back in its gonna be kinda scary because your going to have to bend it and you'll probably think its going to crack... Basically stick one end in and then start bending the other side up to get clearance past the pillar to slide the rest in. You'll see what i mean when u do it.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:19 AM

My dash color is like a charcoal gray, but on eBay someone is selling a complete dash in ebony, but with the digital speedo. I wouldn't mind doing a whole swap since I feel the gray is ugly, but I am wondering if I could ever use the cluster that is in it. I have wanted a real 97 cluster for a while now, and while I DO own a 97 car, it was produced in August 96 (97 model year) and has an analog dash. Is there any hope for me to do this?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by TheHeadFL
My dash color is like a charcoal gray, but on eBay someone is selling a complete dash in ebony, but with the digital speedo. I wouldn't mind doing a whole swap since I feel the gray is ugly, but I am wondering if I could ever use the cluster that is in it. I have wanted a real 97 cluster for a while now, and while I DO own a 97 car, it was produced in August 96 (97 model year) and has an analog dash. Is there any hope for me to do this?
Diigital speedo? Do you mean digital odometer? Also, I didn't think '97s had an ebony interior option.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:54 AM

No I meant odometer, sorry.

And my 97 has the 97 console but not the digital cluster. My interior is some kind of dark grey. I guess the one I saw on ebay was ebony, which I guess is from an LS1. Well, I suppose I cannot swap it.

But can I put in just any 97 digital cluster? I *HATE* the look of the 96 and earlier cluster. It looks so friggin cheap. (Anyone else notice this? Its full of little dot/pockmarks like a grid or something, it looks like it came in a 1980 something car)
Old 07-15-2003, 11:00 AM

I don't know, but good luck. I have the same proble, except my piece is completely broken in half.

Also, '97-'99 interiors are the same, so you can shoose from those. for your dash pieces.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:56 PM

Anyone have the p/n for Firebird upper dash?
Old 07-20-2003, 12:10 AM

i have the same problem . mine's cracked in about five places...

i have the v6 guages in a '97 but i put an lt1 in and i wanted the 150mph speedo.... however my odometer is the rollover kind and if i got an lt1 speedo that's digital (most are digital , except mine that i know of) i figured it wouldn't work.

my 97 model car is the only one that i've seen with rollover odometers....... any suggestions?

thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 03:58 PM

ttt for part number.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:09 PM

Word for word out of the Firebird service manual

I/P UPR TR (GRAPHITE) 93-96......................10274437
I/P UPR TR 97-99......................10422746

PANEL, I/P UPR TR (INCLS 2,3,4,6) 00-02....................10410583

It's not specific at all about what colour the part # is for, except for the first one. Your best bet is to go to the dealer.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:06 PM

Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out which one I need. See, like I mentioned previously, I have an early build date 97, actually 8/96. So I have the analog odometer, not the digital. So maybe I need the 96 dash... or maybe the 97?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:42 AM

Well, you can easily tell the difference in a pre-97 dash as opposed to a 97-later dash. If you have thin diagonal air vents on both sides of the driver, and you have a huge opening in the bottom of your center stack, it's pre-97. Also, if your center console's door opens up and back, instead of up and to the side, it's pre-97.
I hope that made sense.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by redcamaroz28
I'll be getting a custom mat, so if any has one, could ya post how much it was.
I have a dash mat that the previous owner put on. He made a list of parts with prices, but not all the parts had corresponding reciepts(the mat was one of them) so i can't be sure. He listed it as $120, and that seems really expensive for a piece of foam rubber and cloth. It fits great and i think it looks good, but i still wouldn't spend that much money on a mat. maybe im just a cheap bastard.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by snorkelface
Well, you can easily tell the difference in a pre-97 dash as opposed to a 97-later dash. If you have thin diagonal air vents on both sides of the driver, and you have a huge opening in the bottom of your center stack, it's pre-97. Also, if your center console's door opens up and back, instead of up and to the side, it's pre-97.
I hope that made sense.
Well, It sounds like you are describing the Camaro dash. I have a Pontiac.

Also, I *do* have the 97 center console, however, my cluster is analog, indicative of a 96 and earlier. In other words, my car has mixed model year parts, but is a factory 97.

Quick Reply: Cracked dash from the sun, fixable??