LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

coolant temp. rising when the AC's on

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 PM

coolant temp. rising when the AC's on

is my waterpump going out again?? i just replaced my water pump about 3 months ago, i still have the one year warranty if this WP fails on me again. if the AC is not on, the temp would stay at first mark on the gauge, because my reprogram my low speed fans at 185*. my coolant temp slowly rises up to half mark today, because i was going up hill, and i press the gas a up to 3/4. in about 1 minute, the temp went from 185 to about 200....is this normal?? what should i do to make my car runs cooler?? i'm afraid if i'm going up hill for about 30 min my temp would be in the red mark....thanks for reading

btw, will high speed fans turn on if the AC is on?? thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 05:17 PM

here is one answer for you...

Before you replace any parts whatsoever... open up your hood and remove that plastic cover that holds the radiatior and the AC condeser (radiator like) cover and check in between them.

My car had a huge plastic bag lodged in between them. Totally invisible from any angle. I found out by accident while I removed the cover and there it was... somehow it got sucked in and was chocking the air flow there....

I have also found pieces of news paper lodged in front of the radiatior inside the air dam.... get underneath the car and check inside the dam... then remove the radiator plastic cover.. you know the one that has the water pump belt routing sticker on it... and check in there. it doesnt cost you anything but a little time and some elbow grease..

Marvin
Old 08-28-2003, 05:28 PM

Re: coolant temp. rising when the AC's on

Originally posted by TMDZ28
is my waterpump going out again?? i just replaced my water pump about 3 months ago, i still have the one year warranty if this WP fails on me again. if the AC is not on, the temp would stay at first mark on the gauge, because my reprogram my low speed fans at 185*. my coolant temp slowly rises up to half mark today, because i was going up hill, and i press the gas a up to 3/4. in about 1 minute, the temp went from 185 to about 200....is this normal?? what should i do to make my car runs cooler?? i'm afraid if i'm going up hill for about 30 min my temp would be in the red mark....thanks for reading

btw, will high speed fans turn on if the AC is on?? thanks

I don't know if this answers your question, but your coolant temp is supposed to rise when the A/C comes on . That is normal . I think it's because of the extra load on the engine. Whatever the it's from, it is normal. The temperature should not get toooooo hot , or something is wrong, but in most cars it rises when the A\C is on.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: coolant temp. rising when the AC's on

Originally posted by Lt1firebat
I don't know if this answers your question, but your coolant temp is supposed to rise when the A/C comes on . That is normal . I think it's because of the extra load on the engine. Whatever the it's from, it is normal. The temperature should not get toooooo hot , or something is wrong, but in most cars it rises when the A\C is on.
do you know the normal running temp for LT1 when the AC's on??

thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 08:26 PM

mine runs about midway between 160 and next mark (180??) with A/C on
Old 08-28-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by RedPhenx
mine runs about midway between 160 and next mark (180??) with A/C on
that's what my friend's car running temp.

but how come my temp. is so hot??
Old 08-28-2003, 10:43 PM

ttt
Old 08-29-2003, 12:51 AM

[B]ttt [ /B]

I'm not sure what the normal temp is for an lt1, but lt1's do seem to run pretty warm, as well as other late model cars. Has your car always run the temp it does now , or is this new.

If it's something new, you might want to have the car checked, and/or check for thermostat problems, leaks, check the coolant level, and check for other problems in the system.

Also check for trash, If I recall, I had bags, and other trash in mine. Take a look and see what you can find under the front end blocking the A/C condenser and radiator.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:55 AM

Re: coolant temp. rising when the AC's on

my coolant temp slowly rises up to half mark today, because i was going up hill, and i press the gas a up to 3/4. in about 1 minute, the temp went from 185 to about 200....is this normal?? thanks

200 degrees is nothing to worry about with the A/C on in stop in go traffic, or going up a hill. Especially after giving it up to 3/4 throttle. And especially in hotter climates.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:59 AM

I am sure the cooling fans are suppose to be on when the A/C is on. Are your fans on when A/C is on?

If they are, they should keep it pretty much at the first mark, at least mine does. It was in the 90's yesterday, and mine never went past first mark with a/c on. Of course every car is a little different, I'd keep an eye on it.... Hope this helps...
Old 08-29-2003, 07:33 AM

It could possibly be your coolant temp sensor. It sounds like the same problem my car was having.
It is mounted in the front side of the wp housing. It just screws in. If you didn't change it when you changed the wp, you might give that a try. It's only like an $11 part. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by thermwood1
It could possibly be your coolant temp sensor. It sounds like the same problem my car was having.
It is mounted in the front side of the wp housing. It just screws in. If you didn't change it when you changed the wp, you might give that a try. It's only like an $11 part. Good luck.
no i did not change it when i changed my WP. i already bought it, but never bother to replace it. i guess this is a good time to replace it.....it comes with a plug too...should i install the plug too?? thanks
Old 08-29-2003, 03:35 PM

ive been having the same problem lately

i had my fans programmed to come on at 181 and i went to a 160 t-stat, but since i programmed it, its been collecting heat. i went to a restaraunt which was only 5 minutes away...it didnt get over 185. an hour later i get in to go home and i start it up at it was at 235 and just rised to red line...i shut it off and i could hear it boiling. i programmed it so it WOULDNT run that hot. damn az heat .

lt1s normal temp is 185...210 is not normal but thats where mine seems to stay.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by z28xlady
ive been having the same problem lately

i had my fans programmed to come on at 181 and i went to a 160 t-stat, but since i programmed it, its been collecting heat. i went to a restaraunt which was only 5 minutes away...it didnt get over 185. an hour later i get in to go home and i start it up at it was at 235 and just rised to red line...i shut it off and i could hear it boiling. i programmed it so it WOULDNT run that hot. damn az heat .

lt1s normal temp is 185...210 is not normal but thats where mine seems to stay.
without the AC's on my car would never go above 185...with the AC's on...that different
Old 08-29-2003, 07:55 PM

How many miles are on your car?

If you have a lot of miles on your car or drive it alot then you will need to do what I did.

Last year in 95 degree heat when driving 80MPH on the Highway with my AC on a 4.5 pounds boost pulley on my supercharger, my Coolant temps were constantly at 210-215 On the Highway. I tried more water and less coolant a 75% water to 25% coolant mix with a little bit of water wetter and it did not help. I tried changing my thermostat and still it did not help.

Well over the last winter, My friend and I accidentaly damaged my radiator when installing my new 383 Motor combo. My old radiator was Very dirty between the cooling fins. I got another radiator from a board member here, INJUNEER (Fred), and his only had 60,000 Miles on it. (My old radiator had about 120,000 miles on it). Well after the newer/Cleaner radiator install and driving the car with a 383 motor in it with a 10# pulley on the blower, my coolant temp dropped to around 200 degrees with the AC on in 95 degree heat on the highway. Then half way thru summer we pulled out the AC condensor in front of the radiator while we were replacing my opti (there was no need to pull out the Condensor when doing the opti install but I saw the effects of what a cleaner radiator would do and got curious). So I pulled out the condensor, took it to a power wash and scrubbed it with a soapy brush and power washed it for 15 minutes (The Condensor was so dirty you could not see thru the fins before the power wash). It cost me like 4-5 bucks total. Now with the AC condesor cleaned and everything installed, My coolant temps are 185 degrees on the highway with the AC on, and a 383 motor with 10# of boost. It still gets Hot in Stop and go driving with a lot of traffic but that is what is expected when I have the load of the AC on and the supercharger spinning and only using a stock radaitor (not a bigger Be-Cool) one and better fans.

I seriuosly think if you have over 70,000 Miles or if you drive your car where there might be a lot of dirt, sand or dust in the area, you should pull out both your radiator and condensor and clean them both....You will definetly see Results if it's dirty.

Sorry for making this long

Hope that helps,
Claude

Last edited by 95 Silver TA; 08-29-2003 at 08:05 PM.