LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant Light- I'm stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

Unhappy Coolant Light- I'm stumped!

Here's the story.

Last week I was at work and parked on a hill. It wasn't real steep, but steep enough. Well, when I came out of work and started the car, the coolant light reared its ugly head.

I immediately drove home, let the car cool, and checked the coolant. The coolant was full. There were no particles in it, and it was not low. The overflow also indicated that the car wasn't low on coolant.

For the past week, I've been trying to get the coolant situation straightened out. I went so far as to flush the radiator, and "start over." No dice.

I've tried running the car, then shutting it off, as the owners manual instructed, only to continue to add coolant until the radiator was full. Now the overflow is "overflowing." I've obviously got too much coolant in it!

I've replaced the thermostat, flushed the radiator, made sure the radiator cap was tight, put the car up on stands to make sure the waterpump wasn't leaking, the head gaskets weren't leaking, the radiator wasn't leaking, made sure no hoses were loose or leaking, etc.

Guys, I'm stumped. What else can I do? Could it be a malfunctioning dummy light? Is there some type of sensor that may need replacing? I'm totally clueless as to what the problem is, and I've been chasing it for a week.

Also, sometimes I can drive the car for about 15-20 minutes with no problems, and THEN all of a sudden the coolant light will come on. The car is not overheating, and the temperature gauge is running within normal operating temperature. I'm not smelling antifreeze or anything.

HELP ME!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:49 AM

MAN I HAVE THE SAME STUPID *** PROBLEM, I HAVE NO IDEA!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:58 AM

change or clean the sensor on the side of the radiator, that seems to be the biggest problem with the coolant light, you might just unplug it first off and see if the light still comes on.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1994CamaroZ28
change or clean the sensor on the side of the radiator, that seems to be the biggest problem with the coolant light, you might just unplug it first off and see if the light still comes on.
Ummm, what's the sensor look like, and approximately where is it located? Also, would I need to drain out any coolant?
Old 07-20-2003, 12:24 PM

Sensor info
Old 07-20-2003, 01:20 PM

Lightbulb

I've had that damn light come on and off again for the past month or so. But, I knew it was a bogus sensor. I'm pretty much ignoring it. Do a search on this and uses Shoebox's advice.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:41 PM

just take that sensor out and check your coolant every once in a while. asked the same thing a few months ago and now no light and no prob.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Banned

I checked the link that someone offered up, and it looked like the sensor was some type of "box." I went to Pep Boys (Dope Boys) and picked up a temperature sensor, and it looks like a bolt. It came with a connector and these little "splice" things. I haven't bothered taking the car apart yet, as it's pretty hot out right now. I'm waiting until later tonight. Did I get the right part?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:49 PM

Its not a temperature sensor, its a fluid level sensor. Try removing your old one and cleaning it up really well. The bolt looking thing you got isnt the right part.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:51 AM

Coolant Level Sensor is what you need, not a temperature sensor. What you bought probably screws in to the driver's side cylinder head.

Ryan
Old 08-02-2003, 08:27 AM

Coolant level sensor.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, guys. I replaced the coolant fluid sensor last week, and that has resolved the problem. A simple 5 minute job.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:52 PM

eh.. same problem... coolant came on, just flushed coolant system (I dont drive car all that much) and I now smell something burning.. could be cat from not driving all that much?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM

next to the radiator their is a screw to flush air out of the system when car is cool remove radiator cap,start car turn screw to flush out air,lightr will go off,it is actually a little valve.you just have air
Old 08-03-2003, 09:18 PM

thanks, ill try that in the morning

Quick Reply: Coolant Light- I'm stumped!