LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant Leaking From Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Unhappy Coolant Leaking From Oil Filter

Hi guys,

About 10 days ago I changed my Opti for the first time. (PITA but definitely glad I did it myself). I noticed today that my car is leaking coolant from the oil filter area.

I searched extensively online and found some similar issues, but no solutions. Someone suggested a crossover tube or oil cooler?

Here's a video of the leak: Coolant Leak - YouTube
When the car is running, it leaks more heavily from the same area.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much in advance
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Re: Coolant Leaking From Oil Filter

You can either bypass that whole thing or just fix whatever is wrong with it. The thing takes coolant from the water pump and routes it through the oil cooler at the filter then returns it to the bottom drivers side of the radiator. It is no problem to just run it form the pump to radiator like a lot of cars had or even plug off both ends. Most cars didn't have that cooler, so it's no big deal to delete it and take it off there.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM

IMO it's more of a nuisance than anything else. Removing it will eliminate several possible coolant (and oil) leak points. As mentioned GM deleted it in 1995 altogether so it must not have been serving much of a purpose.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You can either bypass that whole thing or just fix whatever is wrong with it. The thing takes coolant from the water pump and routes it through the oil cooler at the filter then returns it to the bottom drivers side of the radiator. It is no problem to just run it form the pump to radiator like a lot of cars had or even plug off both ends. Most cars didn't have that cooler, so it's no big deal to delete it and take it off there.
Do you have to block the coolant holes by the filter housing? To my knowledge it's not a cooler rather then a oil warmer so the engine reaches operating temp quicker.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-05-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

It is a cooler, that may also be an oil warmer in cold climate conditions. I found a thread here in the forum where most users suggest to chuck it, or sell it on ebay, lol. A few of them reported better oil pressure, less chance for clogging, and less chance of coolant leaks. Delete.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by divineprime
It is a cooler, that may also be an oil warmer in cold climate conditions. I found a thread here in the forum where most users suggest to chuck it, or sell it on ebay, lol. A few of them reported better oil pressure, less chance for clogging, and less chance of coolant leaks. Delete.
I got mine sitting out of the car now but looking at it would suggest needing a new oil filter adapter.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I found where the leak is coming from: Oil Cooler Leak - YouTube

Rather than deleting the oil cooler, I'd prefer to just fix it - as I cannot find an oil cooler bypass hose (p/n 10197675). I searched all over the country and apparently it's been discontinued.

The bolt connecting the lines to the cooler/filter assembly is being stubborn, so I'm soaking it in PB Blaster. Once I get it off, are the O Rings most likely the problem? http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg

I appreciate all your help.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Just because GM doesn't have the hose doesn't mean you can't find it at any parts store.

As you have found out they are more trouble than anything else.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro91RS
Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I found where the leak is coming from: Oil Cooler Leak - YouTube

Rather than deleting the oil cooler, I'd prefer to just fix it - as I cannot find an oil cooler bypass hose (p/n 10197675). I searched all over the country and apparently it's been discontinued.

The bolt connecting the lines to the cooler/filter assembly is being stubborn, so I'm soaking it in PB Blaster. Once I get it off, are the O Rings most likely the problem? http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg

I appreciate all your help.
I had a lot of trouble with that bolt to, I took a breaker bar with pipe extension to break it lose. The pipe seals look like the ones on the head cross over pipe, little flat rubber washer with a metal ring outside of it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redline9570
I got mine sitting out of the car now but looking at it would suggest needing a new oil filter adapter.
I have a 95 without the cooler setup, but I'm curious why would you need a new adapter? I would think you should be able to plug these ports at the sources, but that may not even be necessary at the oil filter adapt side. I am thinking like the throttle body bypass, which can be capped but not necessary.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

I have a 95 without the cooler setup, but I'm curious why would you need a new adapter? I would think you should be able to plug these ports at the sources, but that may not even be necessary at the oil filter adapt side. I am thinking like the throttle body bypass, which can be capped but not necessary.
Funny my 95 has it and production code states later in the year to, but it must be because it was made in Canada =).
I was thinking doing away with the whole thing and this would actually leave more room for a larger oil filter but I don't see how I can. I need to crawl under the car and look at it better.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Oh okay, sounds like a filter relocation kit maybe? I think they got em for that reason, but I'm not sure if that is what you're looking to do. EDIT: headers with tight fit requiring small oil filter?

Last edited by divineprime; 04-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Oh okay, sounds like a filter relocation kit maybe? I think they got em for that reason, but I'm not sure if that is what you're looking to do. EDIT: headers with tight fit requiring small oil filter?
I thought about the filter relocation kit to, would be nice to use it in conjunction with an oil cooler. If you get rid of that whole aluminum piece where the coolant pipes terminate I think that should clear enough room for a larger filter?
I need to look at some pictures for later models and see how they did it. If you look at this http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg I am talking about getting rid of 141 altogether.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-05-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM

I took it off on of a friends car and just eliminated it. I didn't need any extra parts.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 04-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM

Remove the adapter. Cut off the flat portions of the protruding bolts. Attach filter. Done.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leaking From Oil Filter