LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Steves396lt1

Re: Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?

Originally Posted by Loadre
Yes they are stock replacements.

Part # from advance auto is HT2148 and they were $13/per to the best of my recollection.
Thanks again. I also went to summit racing, they had there own brand for 7.5 a piece, Kinda scarry.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Steves396lt1
I believe so. Also, what is the part number for these and price?
You can get Crane or Comp OEM replacement lifters for about $200. They have the old style C clips. I'm personally running Comp OEM's because thunder didn't have any Cranes in stock. I've heard they are both made by the same company so they are the same lifter more or less. I would of much rather gotten the Cranes just so Comp wouldn't get anymore of my money but unfortuantely Thunderracing didn't have any Cranes then.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Steves396lt1

Originally Posted by Z95m6
You can get Crane or Comp OEM replacement lifters for about $200. They have the old style C clips. I'm personally running Comp OEM's because thunder didn't have any Cranes in stock. I've heard they are both made by the same company so they are the same lifter more or less. I would of much rather gotten the Cranes just so Comp wouldn't get anymore of my money but unfortuantely Thunderracing didn't have any Cranes then.
Thanks, these are 850 part numbers?

Old 09-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks, these are 850 part numbers?
Yeah they are the 850's. I know the Crane OEM's are a little more money but to me i'd much rather give crane a little more money than give Comp any of my business. After they knowingly sold me junk $225 lifters that i'm gonna end up throwing away.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks again. I also went to summit racing, they had there own brand for 7.5 a piece, Kinda scarry.
It might have been $13 for two. I can't remember exactly. haha
Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM

I believe they run about 13-15 a piece. Thats what they were at my local parts house for Mellings brand OEM lifters.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 PM

Here's the problem I have with the plunger clip thing...
If there is the proper preload applied to the lifter the clip does not do anything nor should it come in contact with the plunger... EVER. Unless, of course there is valve float.. which is a common problem with todays available cams and those who will install valvesprings by mere suggestion w/out doing thorough research.
As far as needle bearings so on and so forth... what was the profile of the camshaft used? Is it possible the lifters were being literally tossed in the air because of the ramp rates? Was the cam used put on a spintron to see what the "jerk" rates were? How much spring pressure was used?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Banned

SS RRR,

Basically I wish that was the case but I know for a fact that i've had setups that are perfect in terms of valvetrain, no toss, no float, tame ramps basically **** can't happen and the clips still broke.

As I said you can look into this a lot but what it comes down to is a faulty part.

Bret
Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
SS RRR,

Basically I wish that was the case but I know for a fact that i've had setups that are perfect in terms of valvetrain, no toss, no float, tame ramps basically **** can't happen and the clips still broke.

As I said you can look into this a lot but what it comes down to is a faulty part.

Bret
But how is the clip a "faulty part" when it should not come in contact with the plunger using proper preload or correct spring pressure or ample oiling for the lifter with a given cam profile? How can the clip break when it's virtually doing nothing but holding the plunger in place when there is no pressure applied?
The other question I forgot to mention for anyone who's had problems with these lifters... was/were the lifter(s) getting ample oil during engine operation?

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-02-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:33 AM

You guys are gonna give me a damn ulcer. I guess ill just put in this brand new set of Rs i have sitting here and then just relash them again once the motor has been ran a few times :-\ Will be a good learning experience i guess.

Steve
Old 09-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by blackz97
You guys are gonna give me a damn ulcer. I guess ill just put in this brand new set of Rs i have sitting here and then just relash them again once the motor has been ran a few times :-\ Will be a good learning experience i guess.

Steve
Just return them or resale them why you can.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS RRR
But how is the clip a "faulty part" when it should not come in contact with the plunger using proper preload or correct spring pressure or ample oiling for the lifter with a given cam profile? How can the clip break when it's virtually doing nothing but holding the plunger in place when there is no pressure applied?
The other question I forgot to mention for anyone who's had problems with these lifters... was/were the lifter(s) getting ample oil during engine operation?
Wow I have to explain this again

Because the plunger acts on it... if the part is not strong enough because of a manufacturing defect.

Basically if you don't design, manufacture or work around things like this does it matter? All that really matters is that it works or doesn't and in this case it's just that, It works or it doesn't work, no rhyme or reason.

Bret
Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 AM

I mustr be the only one to have good luck... Im running pro mag 1.6 rrs with gm guideplates,918 springs with tit retainers and comp rs. I adjusted them to zero before i started the new motor then let it warm up and did 1/16th past zero..I had brought my car to speed inc because i couldnt find this problem I was having which ended up being an opti that was new from gm but bad which i found out by swapping with a friends good one. Speed inc thought my problem was bad valve adjustment because they said my valvetrain was waaaay too quiet for the parts in it. Well it wasnt the problem and my valvetrain is super quiet qith all those parts listed.. I now have 800 miles on the motor and it hasnt gotten any louder.. So one good luck customer right here I guess
Old 09-03-2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by unTAmedLS1
I mustr be the only one to have good luck... Im running pro mag 1.6 rrs with gm guideplates,918 springs with tit retainers and comp rs. I adjusted them to zero before i started the new motor then let it warm up and did 1/16th past zero..I had brought my car to speed inc because i couldnt find this problem I was having which ended up being an opti that was new from gm but bad which i found out by swapping with a friends good one. Speed inc thought my problem was bad valve adjustment because they said my valvetrain was waaaay too quiet for the parts in it. Well it wasnt the problem and my valvetrain is super quiet qith all those parts listed.. I now have 800 miles on the motor and it hasnt gotten any louder.. So one good luck customer right here I guess
You lucky .... Anyway if you got eny problem with your lifters, put there a set of comp OEM lifters (850-16).Because you got beehive springs you have not to use R lifters.. Maybe everyone should do 1/16 preload after zero lash..
Old 09-03-2005, 02:21 AM

Seriously though the comp rs"mine at least" have like this perfect point.. you can hear it like too little lash is noisy and too much sounds weird and vacuum goes down but then right around 1/16th its perfect and its quiet...I dunno how to explain it but I did mine and my friends car and both of our valvetrains are way too quiet to have rrs and comp r lifters

Quick Reply: Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?