LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Steves396lt1

Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?

It seems this question comes up allot. SO, lets look for common reasons as to why these lifters are starting to get a bad rap.
So is it RPM they were used at? Spring pressure, adjustment problems, cam selection?
I bet there are more people out there that have success with these than failures.
Also, HAS LPE, LLOYDS, MTI, MORE PERFORMANCE, etc etc had any issues? If not, why? Instead of bashing these products, lets figure out common problems with them, instead of "clips broke", "wouldnt pump up" etc.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 PM

Re: Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?

No issues here in 4 yrs...

Cody
Old 08-28-2005, 10:19 PM

comp r's are good lifters, but they are catching a bad rep because of their newest remodeling, which contained of new clips. the clips are said to have been heat treated wrong and this is why the clips break. if you have an older set, they'll last a looooong time. the new clip design is hit or miss.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Steves396lt1

Originally Posted by blackztpi
comp r's are good lifters, but they are catching a bad rep because of their newest remodeling, which contained of new clips. the clips are said to have been heat treated wrong and this is why the clips break. if you have an older set, they'll last a looooong time. the new clip design is hit or miss.
HHMM, I bought mine in March, 2005. SO I guess I need to watch out.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Maybe this would have been better as a poll. No problems for me.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 PM

hit or miss.
Not what i want in my engine.I was gonna go for it but im not realy up to taking risk like that. I think that they actually have a bad name because they deserve one. I cant really say were something that has destroyed a dozen or so engines because of bad clips deserves a good recomendation. know what i mean.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Mine blew up because they were crappy quality. I installed them the first time and probably didn't have the lash right. When i yanked the intake to put my new cam in 8 of them were cracked or blown up. I live in a small time and didn't have time to order a new set of lifters and the parts house here had only 8 stockers. So i put half Comp R's on one side and half stockers. The second time i had a very experienced friend adjust them. He made sure the comp R's were set just a hair tighter than zero lash. About a month later i pulled the intake again to put all new OEM lifters in and sure enough another Comp R had blown up. I put in all OEM's and now no problems. I'm running a BRE cam with approx. .600 lift and 918 springs. The most RPM's the motor had seen in that time was 5600 rpms.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Steves396lt1

ttt

Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 AM

I collapsed 2 when my pistons blew apart
Old 08-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Steves396lt1

Originally Posted by wlz28
I collapsed 2 when my pistons blew apart
Did the pistons cause the failure when it blew, or did the lifters collapse and cause valvetrain failure casuing the psitons to get hit by valves?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM

I had my Comp R's in my car with the stock bottom heads/cam for about 3K miles, before I tossed a rod bearing on a dyno session, then used them on my 396 for another 4K miles. I found out recently when the car was down on power that 1 had a clip break off. I have had these lifters adjusted correctly since day one, as I have adjusted lifters on several cars I have owned before this one, and never had a problem. These lifters always had like a 1/16 turn past zero, never anymore than that. In the past I always did the stock lifters 1/4 to 1/2 turn past zero at the most, and never had a problem with the stockers. I now have my intake off, and Im in the middle or removing the R's for a set of Morels. To be hoenst with everyone, I took apart a stock lifter, and one of the R's to compare them. Actually, Im lying a little, as the R came apart by itself, and I just took apart the stocker to compare. Except for the retaining clip at the top, there is little to no difference between the stockers and the R's. The internals all look the same, the stockers actually have more clearance by the roller that touches the cam. I can take pics of the stock lifter next to the R if someone will host them. The oil bleed hole in the stocker and R look the same too. I didnt have as many failures as some, but I did have one. I dont turn the motor that hard either, only 6500 when Im in the heat of battle, most of the time barely 6000. As far as the Morels go, they make the R's look silly. If they were out when I built my stroker, I would have went with them hands down. They are built for hydraulic roller cams with wild lobes, and small base circles. The top of the lifter body on the Morels are like 1/8 inch taller, and stick up above the dogbone holders with my .875 base circle cam, as the R's and the stockers just barely had enough contact when on the base circle. The Morels actually have a "C" clip holding the guts of the lifter in, and I dont see that breaking like the R's. Overall they are just a much better lifter. OK, thats my review on lifters for today. If anyone will volunteer to host the pics, I will take some tonite. I hope this info helps.

Nick
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Steves396lt1

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
I had my Comp R's in my car with the stock bottom heads/cam for about 3K miles, before I tossed a rod bearing on a dyno session, then used them on my 396 for another 4K miles. I found out recently when the car was down on power that 1 had a clip break off. I have had these lifters adjusted correctly since day one, as I have adjusted lifters on several cars I have owned before this one, and never had a problem. These lifters always had like a 1/16 turn past zero, never anymore than that. In the past I always did the stock lifters 1/4 to 1/2 turn past zero at the most, and never had a problem with the stockers. I now have my intake off, and Im in the middle or removing the R's for a set of Morels. To be hoenst with everyone, I took apart a stock lifter, and one of the R's to compare them. Actually, Im lying a little, as the R came apart by itself, and I just took apart the stocker to compare. Except for the retaining clip at the top, there is little to no difference between the stockers and the R's. The internals all look the same, the stockers actually have more clearance by the roller that touches the cam. I can take pics of the stock lifter next to the R if someone will host them. The oil bleed hole in the stocker and R look the same too. I didnt have as many failures as some, but I did have one. I dont turn the motor that hard either, only 6500 when Im in the heat of battle, most of the time barely 6000. As far as the Morels go, they make the R's look silly. If they were out when I built my stroker, I would have went with them hands down. They are built for hydraulic roller cams with wild lobes, and small base circles. The top of the lifter body on the Morels are like 1/8 inch taller, and stick up above the dogbone holders with my .875 base circle cam, as the R's and the stockers just barely had enough contact when on the base circle. The Morels actually have a "C" clip holding the guts of the lifter in, and I dont see that breaking like the R's. Overall they are just a much better lifter. OK, thats my review on lifters for today. If anyone will volunteer to host the pics, I will take some tonite. I hope this info helps.

Nick
How much for the Morels, and can you email me the photos?
Steves396lt1@yahoo.com

Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM

yeah I never heard bad things about MOREL Lifters.. They are very expensive than other lifters, but top notch quality.. Hydrolic Roller: 495$ , Solid Roler:475$
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM

I almost wonder if the 1/16th preload is NOT enough for the lifters causing the pushrods to jump around and pop those thin clips.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Steves396lt1

Of the 19 companies I have written in regards to this, so far 5 have replied with no failures on there builds useing these lifters.
Some even recommend just useing OEM hydraulic lifters until you hit 6500 rpm area.
Springs apparently play a big part in it to, as too much pressure on the springs have an adverse affect. This is based off of articles I have read about springs and lifters in Hydraulic Roller Lifter cams that are somewhat aggressive.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams R Lifters, Why have yours failed or not?