LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:06 PM

Re: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

hey spinner,
I was in your same position w/ a 230/236 112 lsa cam, (.544 /.555) and I broke one. They sent me a new one, I scotchbrited the piston up real good, and its been runnin good for 500 miles since... no problems w/ the springs since.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:11 PM

i would be very pi$$ed also i would make them pay for the whole rebuild and i would not do the work myself let them pay a mechanic
Old 10-18-2004, 05:37 PM

you'll be fine to just scotch brite thta spot. its act. not that hard to replace a piston. worst part is takin off the oil pan. you'll have to support the eng. from the top while you lower the kmember enough to remove the pan. maybe a ratcheting strap around the strut tower brace would work. take off the windage tray, take off the two rod nuts, push it up from the bottom. no biggie. just some time. but ofcourse you'll want new bearings for that new rod/piston and Im sure you can swap over your rings to the new piston.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by WS Sick
If you pay the shipping spinner I have a stock piston you can have for 5 bucks.
Thanks for the offer. We're going to try to debur this one, if that doesnt work I'll get in touch with you
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
you'll be fine to just scotch brite thta spot. its act. not that hard to replace a piston. worst part is takin off the oil pan. you'll have to support the eng. from the top while you lower the kmember enough to remove the pan. maybe a ratcheting strap around the strut tower brace would work. take off the windage tray, take off the two rod nuts, push it up from the bottom. no biggie. just some time. but ofcourse you'll want new bearings for that new rod/piston and Im sure you can swap over your rings to the new piston.
Pull up the motor to take the pan off? Nah. Jack on the front pulley works to tilt it. I see that its not too involved though which is a good thing if i need to do it.

Billy mensch: Honestly, its no more CM's fault then mine. It's a freak occurance, so you can't blame them for everything. Freak things happen, thats just part of what we all do with these cars I think.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:18 PM

please try and not take off the oil pan.. for your sake. I just got done taking out metal shavings and such from a gear failing on my timing set and it was not fun doing the oil pan... not to mention the oil pressure gauge gets messed up every time I jack my motor and I dont know how to fix it...
in other words, you save yourself a lot of trouble by not taking off that oil pan.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 96LT1TX
please try and not take off the oil pan.. for your sake. I just got done taking out metal shavings and such from a gear failing on my timing set and it was not fun doing the oil pan... not to mention the oil pressure gauge gets messed up every time I jack my motor and I dont know how to fix it...
in other words, you save yourself a lot of trouble by not taking off that oil pan.
Oh, I know this, but I've had it off five times before, so it wouldnt be too big of a deal. Just another days work. We're going to try and get it fixed without having to do that though.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 PM

Well all I can say is I'm sorry man. I just installed these springs on my setup and they seem fine so far with about 50-100 miles on them. Obviously that isn't any kind of test but I dunno... I wouldn't expect Combination to cover the failure if they broke, I mean... thats racing. Thats the chance I took installing a cam, you know?

I'm on a bit smaller cam (224/230 .536/.544) so I'm not too worried. I'm just going to be careful to not beat on them cold or rev too high.

Not sure what he meant about an adverse load though...
Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by CMSDave
PS, as far as Shawn's car goes, here is the disclaimer:
He has a freak car and freak components, and he is a freak. Nuff said.
Freaky deaky... 1 2 3.. You still never called me - so.. you suck... Terry's right.. uh huh.. yup.. yeah.

PS - Jordon just won his 3rd straight Nat'l. Kart Championship in you's guy's backyard
Old 10-18-2004, 09:24 PM

got my car running perfect tonight, burnt plug wire fixed and 8 cylinders of hell
hope your spring fix goes easily, it should. Head installs are fun
Old 10-20-2004, 10:05 AM

Another data point here-

I had one of the 612's snap in two as well, after 500 miles...

Stock shortblock, hot cam, 1.7 scorpions, LT4 heads and valvetrain set up by Lloyd. Nothing radical here.

Autopsy revealed a broken spring, broken LT4 valve, a piston beat all to hell. The opposite bank with pistons #6 and #8 also took a fair amount of metal as well. I wasn't a happy camper....

I had to repair both cylinder heads, and rebuild the block to a 383, all over a defective $5 valve spring.

And yes, the springs were chucked into the closest dumpster after that.

Nick
Old 10-22-2004, 12:49 AM

I had the EX-612s also on my stock heads, it ran great for a few days and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my headers were glowing BEET red! I tried everything and resorted to yanking the heads.

My cam is a CC Xtreme 236/242 on a 110lsa and when I removed the head all of the exhaust valves had smacked the pistons. Only thing I can think of is that the springs failed and floated. I replaced the heads with a set of Llyods heads which came with CC 986s springs shimmed for my cam...no more glowing headers.

-B
Old 10-22-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by blown383
I had the EX-612s also on my stock heads, it ran great for a few days and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my headers were glowing BEET red! I tried everything and resorted to yanking the heads.

My cam is a CC Xtreme 236/242 on a 110lsa and when I removed the head all of the exhaust valves had smacked the pistons. Only thing I can think of is that the springs failed and floated. I replaced the heads with a set of Llyods heads which came with CC 986s springs shimmed for my cam...no more glowing headers.

-B

Not trying to flame you, but it sounds like you had the rockers a little to tight.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:01 AM

Just out of curiousity, did you notice your oil pressure going up and down when this happened?

Originally Posted by Spinner
First off, let me say that I'm VERY displeased with this. CM sold me these springs, along with the rest of my valvetrain, so I'm doubly displeased with that.

Second, these springs had 5000 miles on them.

I was driving to CAM (Carolina Auto Masters) for a dyno tune on the setup. They're about 355 miles from my house. I got literally TWO blocks away from there, and was at a redlight. All of the sudden TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP. I thought, oh ****, there goes a bearing. Nope. Valvespring just SNAPPED. I have it here in three pieces, no metal fell into the motor, but there was definite piston/valve contact. All on brand new, 5000 mile Lloyd Elliot heads, which he setup and assembled for me. I'll post up a FULL damage report and what CM is willing to do to help me out and fix this monday.

For those wondering, it was the #4 cylinder exhaust spring that broke.
7/16 studs, NSA pro-mags and guideplates
6400 rpm
.567/577 lift

On a side note: we pulled it to CAM, and tried several things to get it back drivable to no avail. Jeff at CAM is a STAND-UP guy and I'd recommend anyone doing anything F-body to see himf or tuning, or engine work www.carolinaautomasters.com
Old 10-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 30696bird
Not trying to flame you, but it sounds like you had the rockers a little to tight.
I had every adjustment from zero lash to 1/2 a turn on comp "R"s and it still glowed red at zero lash!

-B

Quick Reply: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE