LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Collapsed Lifter? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:09 AM

Collapsed Lifter? Yes or No

I finally came around and took out 2 lifters off the car. And this is what I came to figure out after comparing them to another older set I had.

New ones: Comp Cams (not the Comp R). Have been sitting around for 2 months inside the engine. Engine was drained of its oil about 3 weeks ago.

Old ones: Stock Gm lifters with 150k miles on them. They worked perfectly before the rebuild.

I took a pushrod out and inserted the pushrod against the lifter. I pushed the pushrod against the lifter and the "plunger" sinks about 1/2 inch on some. This is with minimal force. All of the new Comp lifters do this.

On the stock older GM lifters, I tried to do the same thing and "nada". The plunger will not give a centimeter no matter how much force I could muster in against them.

Should the plunger in the lifter sink down like that, is this a good way to tell if a lifter is collapsed?

I can't imagine how I would ever get valve lash correct if the plunger sinks down with minimal force.

Any ideas?

Your help is very Appreciated.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 AM

ttt for ya,
and It would seem odd that all of them would do that if that means they are collapsed?
Old 12-24-2003, 03:02 AM

I couldnt make my stock lifters go down. But when I replaced one of them with a NAPA auto parts lifter, it went down with ease, like ur COMP's do.

Is this the only reason why you think that you have a collapsed lifter?

Because I do know that lifters need to prime first. So maybe once they fill up with oil, the can be pushed down?

I wouldnt keep the stocks regardless. I had one collapse on my car not to long ago, and it ended up causing a bent valve. Cost me some big money. But Im going do be doing heads and cam, so they will all come out. So I wont have to worry about this. I also had a friend have 2 lifters go out and eat his cam up bad. Both of our cars had less then 80k on them.