LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cold Air kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:14 PM

Cool Cold Air kits

Years ago I installed on a LT1 a ram air kit that had a scoop that was mounted to the lower left front under the airbox. It then had a hose connected to the factory filter box. Anyone have a clue what I am talking about? I thought it was marketed by Random Tech.

It was a fairly simple design that took pressured air from the nose of the car and forced it into the stock airbox and filter. Just wondering if this is still available.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 PM

I dont think this is exactly what your talking about, but there is this do-it-yourself version:
Old 09-13-2003, 02:46 AM

wonder if it really helps and is that one self made????
Old 09-13-2003, 03:41 AM

I thought about it. the biggest problem in my case is that I have that OEM duct from the filter to the MAF. because the way its bent it produces lots of turbulance and air friction at high RPMs.

My point here is that even if we get a very sucesfull Ram Air scoop the gains will probably be negated by that restriction after the filter box.

I have liked several type of Cold Airs but I dont really like the idea of oiling the filter. some of that oil is gunna find its way to the MAF resistors and coat them... I like the Idea of stuffing as big an air filter as one can get in under the airbox.... but what has kept me is using oil. Just the way I think I guess... I will check on other large air filters and see wich one I can stuff in there and then either a cold air or a home made cold air before I get a scoop and force air in. I think we just need as big scoop as we can hide down there... the bigger scoop will force the higher mass of air in at a lower speed.. just dont want a tacky huge tuna Can scoop stickin out from underneath.

Just some ideas.

Marvin
Old 09-13-2003, 05:12 AM

I have the tacky huge tuna can scoop stickin out from underneath.
I will take some pics this weekend and post a link so all the rest of the world can give me **** about it.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:32 AM

someone should take their car to the track without it then install one to see if it actually helps.

I just might do that after I put my motor in and break it in. That will take a couple of months probably.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:00 AM

I do know that positive ram air pressure does make power. I have a complete aviation sheet metal shop. If I could see an interest in building some nice ducts, I would be willing to make a few.

I have already started making plugs for the Donkey Dong. They replace it in the elbow and are 100% CNC machined billet aluminum for a perfect fit. I have also machined a recess and tapped a pipe thread in it so that you can mount a nitrous nozzle, set its angle and it will not move. If I can find an interest in these, I will make more. I figure these would be cheaper than having to buy a 1LE elbow or going to a much hotter and more expensive Vortech elbow.

Just a few ideas... Hope they help out.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:29 AM

It was Random that made that scoop. It is no longer available.
MBA makes a billet intake silencer plug like what you are describing.
If you have the ability to produce scoops cheaply you may sell some. Several board members have expressed interest in having me build them one but I don't work cheap enough.
Marvin: If you don't over oil the filter the oil stays put. I have been using K&N filters for years on cars and motorcycles with zero problems.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:09 AM

When I bought my 94 new, there were'nt many options for the air intake. One of the first mods I purchased was called a slick-tube. Anyone have one or remember these? It replaces the funky looking duct that goes from the air box to the maf. Plus I used a K&N air filter. A few years later I put a hole in the splash pan and mounted a black dryer vent. From this air scoop I ran some 4 inch hot water tank exhaust tubing to the airbox for a totally sealed system to the outside air. Or you can use some dryer vent tubing. I have since replaced this with a Moroso CAI, that I picked up used. Even tho it was cheap it is'nt any better than than my home made system according to my butt o meter. If anyone wants the slick-tube and the K&N filter send me an e-mail. 75 dollars plus shipping. This is half of what I payed, plus the filter is cleaned and oiled.
Rick
Old 09-16-2003, 12:55 AM

I have the tacky huge tuna can scoop stickin out from underneath.

Man... do you know how long I have been waiting for thhose pics??? How can I give you ***** about it if you dont post them man???

Ya know I am just pissin on yer leg arent you?? j/k man

post the dang pics.... we is wating!!!

Old 09-16-2003, 01:31 AM

All right ya happy now.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:32 AM

All right ya happy now.

Sir yes Sir!