LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clutchless Shifting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:06 PM

I am able to shift without a clutch in my car, (I dont do it often but its far from) All you have to do is when you want to shift just hold the shifter to the next gears syncro and 1/2 second later it will pop in./
Old 02-04-2003, 08:10 PM

you can shift the car without the clutch, its just complicated at first from what Ive heard (and as stated above, just when your cruising around.) Clutches were originally meant to just get the car rolling, after that, you didnt use the clutch. And dbl clutching can be useful on our cars, Imagine taking a tiwstie pretty fast, you have to downshift.....you dont dbl clutch and you clutch in, drop the gear, pop the clutch out......you better hope there isnt a cliff on the outside of the turn because when you pop that clutch out then your tires may break loose..
Old 02-04-2003, 09:48 PM

Why try shifting without a clutch? Its there for a reason, to keep you from ruining your transmission. Does shifting without a cltuch make your car 2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile

If you want to shift fast or spin your tires when shifting powershift the car. Don't let off the gas, as you approach the red line, pull/push on the shifter towards the next gear and just tap the clutch. But even powershifting will wear out the tranny pretty fast.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:27 PM

see the way i understood it was that double clutching was for when you are going around a corner, and have to change gears you rev the engine to try and match road speed real fast and it switches into that gear more smoothly, and is easier long term on the trannies? correct me if im wrong.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:37 PM

Ever watch Le Mans races, or any sort of road racing for that matter? They all double-clutch downshifts....just listen next time you watch speed vision and someone is going into a turn.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Stangdstryer
see the way i understood it was that double clutching was for when you are going around a corner, and have to change gears you rev the engine to try and match road speed real fast and it switches into that gear more smoothly, and is easier long term on the trannies? correct me if im wrong.
Actually, now that I think about it, I don't double clutch, but I do tap the gas on downshifting, it shifts smoother and a little quicker. But on upshifting, the only reason would be if you had a non-synchronized transmission.

Sam
Old 02-04-2003, 11:15 PM

you can shift w/o using the clutch. the trick to doing it from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4...ect. is to let the RPMs fall. if you just try to jam it into the next gear then you will have a lot of grindage. just remember when going from 1st to 2nd to give it a little gas to get the RPM up to a point where it will drop and shift to the next gear and it should just pop right in. i have done this before but it just doesnt feel natural so i normally use the clutch.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:41 AM

During normal driving I shift without using the clutch all of the time....upshifting and downshifting. When upshifting, accelerate to the desired rpm., let off of the accelerator, pop the gear into neutral and let the rpm's drop, then slide the shifter into the desired gear. For downshifting, tap the accelerator, pop the gear into neutral, bring the engine rpm's up to match the rate of speed you're going, then slide the shifter into the desired gear. I have to say.....I'm pretty damn good at it .....I never scratch a gear! This is why my clutch lasts alot longer than my other racing buddies.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:29 AM

I know that Steve McQueen actually raced cars and motorycycles, but don't confuse Hollywood with real life.

Shifting without the clutch is going to put more wear on your synchros because you are not going to get the rpms perfect every time and you are trying to force the gears together under power.

Power shifting is when you don't lift your accelerator foot when shifting.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:37 AM

it is possible to shift without a cluthc, you need to make sure the speed of the input shaft gear matches the speed of the gear your going in (or something like that).

Powershifting/speedshifting is by far the quickest way to manually shift a car, but it will wreck a tranny quickly. Why? When you grab that shifter and jam it back into 2nd, tapping the clutch or even slamming the clutch then sidestepping, your arm is faster than your leg, so you get the tranny in gear long before the clutch has fully disengaged. This will cause the gears to not mesh properly, and will wear the syncros (ask me how I know ).

Double clutching is used by Lemans racers because if they were to single clutch, the jerking pull of the tranny speeding up or slowing down the tires would cause them to lose traction around corners and go into a wall. Try downshifting quickly from 2nd to 1st someday and listen for the tire sqeal
Old 02-05-2003, 10:39 AM

After reading most the coment; i get to feal most of the people dont know how to DBL Clutch and why some body would need it
Old 02-05-2003, 10:49 AM

Actually, the terms "double-clutching" and "heel-and-toe downshifting" are not necessarily interchangable
Old 02-05-2003, 10:49 AM

people will understand what double clutching is once syncros start wearing out that is how i learned anyway. double clutching for the x-millionth time is as simple as it sounds. when upshifting, you depress the clutch and pull out of gear into neutral and depress the clutch so you get the tranny moving at the same rate of the engine and finally press the clutch back in and go to the next gear.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:09 AM

Plus any body who drive Rig!