LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 07:26 PM

clutch replacement

Just curious do you have to take the torque arm off the tranny to drop it down and cervice the clutch? I had a heck of a time with the top bolt of the clam shell holding in the torque arm bushing lol.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:19 PM

Re: clutch replacement

Originally Posted by lt4 fd
Just curious do you have to take the torque arm off the tranny to drop it down and cervice the clutch? I had a heck of a time with the top bolt of the clam shell holding in the torque arm bushing lol.
I removed mine... but thinking about it... maybe not? You would have to unbolt the rear of the torque arm, and then have the tranny and torque arm come down together. But I don't know if it would work.. and if if it does, I would imagine it being a PITA.

Whats the problem with the bolt on the clam shell? Mine came out fine. IMO, save yourselve a headache and just removed the torque arm.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 AM

Edited: I read your post wrong. I still think its easier to unbolt at the tranny and leave tq arm attached at the diff. If the tq arm is in the way of the bolt, follow the last instructions I wrote below.

You don't have to remove the torque arm from the car. Just unbolt and remove the mount from the tranny. It can kinda be in the way. If the rear of the car is up on jack stands you can place a jack underneith the rear differential, jack it up & down a bit will cause the trans end of the torque arm to move down & up a lot. That will help in getting it where you need. You may also need to push on it a bit from the side to clear part of the tail shaft.
Jack up the diff a little to release some of the tension on the tq arm at the trans, push it over to clear part of the tail shaft housing. Then release jack under the diff, the end will spring towards the top of the trans tunnel out of the way.

Last edited by y5e06; 11-04-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:25 PM

that sounds all good and stuff but the top bolt on the clam shell thing was a pain to get in, too hard by hand and easy by wrench and got hard to turn suddenly after about 6 rotations so I dont know if its crossthreaded or just stupid, probably crossthreaded so I dont want to mess with it if possible but I could always take the tail housing off and helicoil it if all went to hell and it wouldnt got back in or come out..... thanks for the help man I gues Ill just have to see