LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cloyes timing chain install help PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:34 PM

Cloyes timing chain install help PLEASE!!

Installed the crank sprock flush, and lined up the chain and when I put a bolt in the cam it kinda pulled the cam to the sprocket. Is this normal? ...or did I miss something? The can retainer is in and bolted. Mind you, it did not pull it out a lot but I just want to make sure I am doing this right.

Thanks Guys
Old 08-04-2004, 06:37 PM

Re: Cloyes timing chain install help PLEASE!!

The cam should have a very small amount of play in it between itself and the retainer.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
The cam should have a very small amount of play in it between itself and the retainer.
Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for your help Spinner! Now I gotta go put the rest of the bolts in and check the clearance on the timing cover.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:15 PM

Another thing I checked how tight I got the cam retainer bolts and one of them broke in half. It stayed together, but where can I get a new one? Can I just use a hex headed screw?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 07:29 PM

You can, so long as you dont have clearance problems (you might)

They dont need much torque, I got mine with a torx screwdriver just hand tight and put some sealant on them (use sealant or loctite). No need for a wrench or ratchet
Old 08-04-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
You can, so long as you dont have clearance problems (you might)

They dont need much torque, I got mine with a torx screwdriver just hand tight and put some sealant on them (use sealant or loctite). No need for a wrench or ratchet
Reading shoebox's torque speks page, it says 109lbs. for the retainer screws.

Thank you again
Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Actually it's 109 lbs INCH or 9 foot lbs. I did the same thing--went to my local dealer and got a replacement bolt for a buck. Fortunately I learned my lesson on a cheap fix .
Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 95RagtopTA
Actually it's 109 lbs INCH or 9 foot lbs. I did the same thing--went to my local dealer and got a replacement bolt for a buck. Fortunately I learned my lesson on a cheap fix .

Okay, I feel totally stupid! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM

Yep, can't tell you how many times I cussed myself as I was driving to the dealer . Also, I had to grind the hell out of my timing cover to get the Cloyes to clear. HERE is a picture of the result. I used a dremel and a cutting wheel--then I smoothed it out with a sanding drum. In order to check clearance, I used some white grease (assembly lube) on the outside of the chain, put the gasket/timing cover on, and turned the crank over a couple of times. Then you just pull the cover off and see if there is any grease on it--and grind away. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 95RagtopTA
Yep, can't tell you how many times I cussed myself as I was driving to the dealer . Also, I had to grind the hell out of my timing cover to get the Cloyes to clear. HERE is a picture of the result. I used a dremel and a cutting wheel--then I smoothed it out with a sanding drum. In order to check clearance, I used some white grease (assembly lube) on the outside of the chain, put the gasket/timing cover on, and turned the crank over a couple of times. Then you just pull the cover off and see if there is any grease on it--and grind away. Good luck!
Mine took a similar amount of grinding
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Looks like you ground down that area around the water pump drive shaft hole. It doesn't go up that high does it? I put mine on and it is fairly tight, is that normal? The bottom area seems to be touching the chain on the first test fit. Did you have to grind the whole area where the chain gos? Thank you so much for your help guys!

Z

Oh and I got a alan head bolt from the hardware shop and cut it to the same length to repair my cam retainer problem. thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 10:58 PM

well, I just did mine yesterday. I had to grind all the way around the chain. I made it so that it cleared the cover w/o a gasket. that way, w/the gasket in place, I know I have atleast that much clearance. I really dont want my chain to contact the cover and put alum. shavings in my oil pan. Im pretty sure you dont either. you dont have to use grease though. after you grind it down all the way around where the chain goes, you can put the cover in place and turn the eng by hand holding it while you turn the eng. over (by hand also) feeling for contact. then when you take it off, you can see where it contacts still cause of the scratches the chain left. its not enough to take off material, so dont worry bout the chain getting shavings on it. on mine, I ground all the way around where the chain goes and basically cut a channel into the backside of the cover. I'll have a pic. tomorrow I'll send ya if its not too late.
chris
Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
well, I just did mine yesterday. I had to grind all the way around the chain. I made it so that it cleared the cover w/o a gasket. that way, w/the gasket in place, I know I have atleast that much clearance. I really dont want my chain to contact the cover and put alum. shavings in my oil pan. Im pretty sure you dont either. you dont have to use grease though. after you grind it down all the way around where the chain goes, you can put the cover in place and turn the eng by hand holding it while you turn the eng. over (by hand also) feeling for contact. then when you take it off, you can see where it contacts still cause of the scratches the chain left. its not enough to take off material, so dont worry bout the chain getting shavings on it. on mine, I ground all the way around where the chain goes and basically cut a channel into the backside of the cover. I'll have a pic. tomorrow I'll send ya if its not too late.
chris
Yeah, send me a pic. I will work on it tonight if I get time to.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 08:10 PM

damn, I competely forgot. will try to bring home the camera tomorrow
chris
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
damn, I competely forgot. will try to bring home the camera tomorrow
chris
Did some grinding tonight and still hitting the chain. Takes a hella lot of grinding! I am wondering if the crank sprocket is all the way on or not.

Jayme

Quick Reply: Cloyes timing chain install help PLEASE!!