LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clogged Cat Robbing Power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 PM

Clogged Cat Robbing Power?

So we all know F bodies sit pretty low. I was letting my girlfriend drive my car for a little bit and she took a turn really short and rocked the cat on the curb. I can hear things shaking in there and my idle sounds a little funky sometimes. I have some power loss at higher rpms now too. Could this be the problem?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 PM
sworaz

A clogged cat can suck, yours probably isn't (yet) when it does you will know it, but I wouldn't wait to find out. When mine got completely clogged it blew both exhaust manifolds, but I didn't know that my cat. was clogged so I just replaced the gaskets and started it back up my car was like a pressure cooker, could go about 3mph (definitely a loss in power) and made some pretty nasty sounds, like choking Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
So we all know F bodies sit pretty low. I was letting my girlfriend drive my car for a little bit and she took a turn really short and rocked the cat on the curb. I can hear things shaking in there and my idle sounds a little funky sometimes. I have some power loss at higher rpms now too. Could this be the problem?
That would be enough to effectively ban my wife from driving my car again. Fortunately I bought an M6, and she cannot drive a manual trans. I love the manual trans. even in heavy traffic... I dont care. But my wife not ever driving my car is def. a nice perk.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by sworaz
A clogged cat can suck, yours probably isn't (yet) when it does you will know it, but I wouldn't wait to find out. When mine got completely clogged it blew both exhaust manifolds, but I didn't know that my cat. was clogged so I just replaced the gaskets and started it back up my car was like a pressure cooker, could go about 3mph (definitely a loss in power) and made some pretty nasty sounds, like choking Hope this helps.
Thanks man, that does help. I didn't think it could go that far but damn...

Originally Posted by Voridaeus
That would be enough to effectively ban my wife from driving my car again. Fortunately I bought an M6, and she cannot drive a manual trans. I love the manual trans. even in heavy traffic... I dont care. But my wife not ever driving my car is def. a nice perk.
Ya, she felt pretty bad cuz she knows it's my beast but she made up for it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM

Would be something to put on the to-do list. Just had my cats and an exhaust leak fixed and I feel a little difference. Definitly don't want to get to the clogged stage.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by JamaroZ
Would be something to put on the to-do list. Just had my cats and an exhaust leak fixed and I feel a little difference. Definitly don't want to get to the clogged stage.
Do you think that the higher rpm missing could be a result of the destroyed cat?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 AM

With it hitting the curb the cat could just have internal damage from that, which sounds like what it could be. Did you have problems before that?

As for the missing, how are you running if you know? Lean/Rich
Old 03-30-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JamaroZ
With it hitting the curb the cat could just have internal damage from that, which sounds like what it could be. Did you have problems before that?

As for the missing, how are you running if you know? Lean/Rich
Not sure, I'm getting about 240(rough estimate) miles per tank.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM

damn.. i get about 120 to a full tank... but then again I only drive city
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Just get rid of the cat and you'll never have to worry about it again. I had a fbody that had a bad cat, didn't know it until i fried the valves. It's not always extreme to the point where the car doesn't run right. If you don't have to worry bout emissions then take it off, or just unbolt the cat back and gutt it out while it's on the car. That's what i did when i first bought this car now.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
sworaz

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA
Just get rid of the cat and you'll never have to worry about it again. I had a fbody that had a bad cat, didn't know it until i fried the valves. It's not always extreme to the point where the car doesn't run right. If you don't have to worry bout emissions then take it off, or just unbolt the cat back and gutt it out while it's on the car. That's what i did when i first bought this car now.
+1

Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 PM

if you have ever cut a CC in half it looks like one big honey comb. they bust pretty easy when they are hit hard ( like a curb )

I dont think you can really clog one that way but maybe there are loose peices floating around in there. You should just !cat the sob
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM

My cat was all busted up, and clogged. I drug it on a rock on a steep driveway. I guess it clogged very slowly, because I didn't really notice any obvious power loss, then I took it to the dragstrip. Ran two 15.96's and a 16.15. When I cut the cat off it felt like someone strapped a blower on it. May as well go ahead and cut it, that's one less thing to worry about.

Mine didn't noticably miss or anything, but it felt like it took it forever to get to 100 mph. It was terrible. I guess within a month of dragging the cat the car had slowed down VERY noticably. Cut it off, throw a cutout on where it was, and call it good.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA

Is it hard to gut it with it still on the car? Just recently my cat clogged and I lost complete power to the point it died at idle. The headers were glowing red and it started a plastic guard on fire... scary stuff. Luckily had a bottle of water on hand.