LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clicking on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Clicking on Startup

Well, it seems as though I could have some type of electrical issue but I don't see the problem yet so thought I would get some advice on it here. I tried searching and found many threads but most never put what issue they found.

When I get in the car to start it up sometimes it fires right up. Other time I have to keep turning the key over and over again while the starter or solenoid keeps making a clicking noise, then after enough clicks it fires. The car has a new battery, alternator and the starter is only about 6 months old if that.

This might all be the same issue but recently as well sometimes my fuel pump will not kick on until I mess with the wires or relay. I replaced the relay once about a month ago because on pin number 87 it was burned.

Any idea on what one or the other could be?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Check all your connections: the first time it does it again. Turn your lights on and see if you have any juice at all. With a bad connection you might have enough power for lights and just enough to tickle the solinoid but not enough juice to operate the starter, which in most cases means either your battery is low or no good or terminals and or cable are corroded and not making full contact. JMHO
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Bad connections, bad grounds. Wonder if a worn out ignition switch with burned contacts could do that too, or (D) all of the above.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Dunno, but if it is clicking it would seem that the ignition is working---just not enough juice to turn starter OR the starter gear is resting on a bad flywheel gear cog---but my guess is there is not enough juice. Keep in mind that a low battery usually cannot be charged by running the engine, but only with a charger, so if you let it sit too long or you have a drainage, your batttery may not be putting out the juice. JMHO
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks guy.

Right now I have looked over my grounds and all look to be clean. Even took a few off and cleaned what little dirt was on them but did not see any corrosion. The battery is new but didn't seem to have a full charge on it so I put a full charge on it and when first put in the car it fired right up. Turned if off and the clicking started again. Had to click it about 5-6 times then it fires.

Once it fires up it starts up strong and doesn't sound like there is a low voltage situation. The engine doesn't turn over slow once it engages or anything.

I do know sometimes the voltage gauge will drop into the orange low range and my check gauges light will come on but then it goes away by itself.

I plan to relook over wiring this weekend and possibly pull the starter and see if something has happened to it. I do know that in the package for the starter it said if your battery gets to low of voltage it can damage the starter.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BushyTea
Thanks guy.

Right now I have looked over my grounds and all look to be clean. Even took a few off and cleaned what little dirt was on them but did not see any corrosion. The battery is new but didn't seem to have a full charge on it so I put a full charge on it and when first put in the car it fired right up. Turned if off and the clicking started again. Had to click it about 5-6 times then it fires.

Once it fires up it starts up strong and doesn't sound like there is a low voltage situation. The engine doesn't turn over slow once it engages or anything.

I do know sometimes the voltage gauge will drop into the orange low range and my check gauges light will come on but then it goes away by itself.

I plan to relook over wiring this weekend and possibly pull the starter and see if something has happened to it. I do know that in the package for the starter it said if your battery gets to low of voltage it can damage the starter.

Thanks
i think i may have the same problem also but not sure....
i posted for some help on my problem but never got an answer:
most of the time the car starts right up & other times it does the same thing as yours(have to turn the key several times with the clunk clunk of the starter & then TADAAAA!!! it starts like there was never a problem. Other times it just gives me the clunk of the starter & won't start at all. The car does have a new starter & battery from the previous owner(i'm suspecting that they narrowed it down to that but not for sure). anyway as i stated in my post about this problem, on 3 occasions when the car would just not start up i just barely budged the upper engine pulley/belt clockwise, got back in the car , turned the key & it started right up
If you happen to have this problem again please try that & let me know if it starts right up......I think our problem might be similiar.....but who knows
Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM

if you got it to start after turning the pulley (crank and flywheel) then it may be a bad spot on the fywheel and the bendix gear doesn't grab at that point---which may account for it not happening all of the time---just when the starter gear stops on bad part OR you have a bad gear on the starter itself.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28KC4-GU5-PO5
i think i may have the same problem also but not sure....
i posted for some help on my problem but never got an answer:
most of the time the car starts right up & other times it does the same thing as yours(have to turn the key several times with the clunk clunk of the starter & then TADAAAA!!! it starts like there was never a problem. Other times it just gives me the clunk of the starter & won't start at all. The car does have a new starter & battery from the previous owner(i'm suspecting that they narrowed it down to that but not for sure). anyway as i stated in my post about this problem, on 3 occasions when the car would just not start up i just barely budged the upper engine pulley/belt clockwise, got back in the car , turned the key & it started right up
If you happen to have this problem again please try that & let me know if it starts right up......I think our problem might be similiar.....but who knows
That sounds similar to mine. However mine will always fire up eventually, it might just take more/less clicks than the previous time it started. I have never had it just not start due to this issue. This afternoon I took took off some parts to clean up all my connections and while doing that I went ahead and changed the plugs out. Plugs wont fix my issue but figured it was a good time.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Update: I took the alternator off and had it inspected even though it's a few weeks old and it is in good working order. I went ahead and swapped out the starter under warranty and cleaned all the grounds/battery connections.

Right now with about 3-5 starts it has had no issue so far. Still unsure on the voltage though. This may sound stupid but what is the center line on the voltage gauge? Reason I ask is because as first start up it goes alittle above that line, then after a bit sits right on the line. If I turn on the A/C and everything I possibly can it will sit right below that center line.

I used a meter and it shows that across the battery terminals it's is getting around 14.20 +/- and the same reading from the alt. post to the negative side of battery. This reading is the same with nothing on and even with everything possible to turn on.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BushyTea
Update: I took the alternator off and had it inspected even though it's a few weeks old and it is in good working order. I went ahead and swapped out the starter under warranty and cleaned all the grounds/battery connections.

Right now with about 3-5 starts it has had no issue so far. Still unsure on the voltage though. This may sound stupid but what is the center line on the voltage gauge? Reason I ask is because as first start up it goes alittle above that line, then after a bit sits right on the line. If I turn on the A/C and everything I possibly can it will sit right below that center line.

I used a meter and it shows that across the battery terminals it's is getting around 14.20 +/- and the same reading from the alt. post to the negative side of battery. This reading is the same with nothing on and even with everything possible to turn on.
what your stating is 100% normal for a good charging system, when you start it up you are pulling alot of amperage so the alternator needs to replinish the the battery voltage so the voltage will be higher on the guage with it idling it will be where you say it is and with a draw on the system like the A/C clutch or the fans it is going to dip a little and if you have 14.2 with it running all the time that means you alternator is working fine and those connections in my opionion can be ruled out, ide pull the inspection cover off the bellhousing and check for broken teeth on the flywheel by turning it over by hand thats if the problem does not come back after replacing your starter