LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Changing plugs on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Question Changing plugs on LT1

Wow...this is a great site! I'm trying to help out my Son who is low on funds change plugs and opti on his 96 camaro lt1. The quote he got from the garage was way out of affordability so we're gonna tackle this ourselves : . I'm used to working on cars when you could pop the hood and actually SEE all the plugs....Does anyone have any shortcuts or good instructions/tips on how we tackle this? Also any links to other helpful sites would be great...thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-19-2007, 02:19 PM

I don't think there is an easy way, unless a car has headers that give easier access. Driver's side is not bad. Passenger side can be a pia.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Removing the alternator bracket can make things easier. Some plugs are best reached from the bottom while others are best reached from the top. The very FIRST time I changed plugs on my LT1 (when it was bone stock) I didn't know any of the short cuts and it took several hours.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:25 PM

You'll find that most of the plugs are accessible from the bottom. No real tricks to it, but a decent set of hand tools that allows you to make up some combinations helps to get into the hard to reach places.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM

to make the pass side easy, remove the mount through bolt, and jack the motor up a few inches, gives you plenty of room
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Extensions and swivels for your wratches will come in real handy. Its also a bonus to have small hands and forearms to reach the plugs from the top.I changed quite a few lying right on top of the engine and snaking my arm down the side and changing the plugs by feel. I'd say changing just the plugs is relatively easy. It just takes some time an patience. Changing the wires on the passenger side was more dificult due to more cramped space.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:31 PM

As mentioned previously, having the right tools makes all the difference, especially when working in a so frustratingly cramped space. For my plugs, I went ahead and purchased a cut down socket, similar to what SLP makes, and a
ratcheting combination wrench. (Can be found on SLP's site, or for cheaper on ebay). It makes all the difference and really allows the job to go much quicker and smoother.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DDandR
Wow...this is a great site! I'm trying to help out my Son who is low on funds change plugs and opti on his 96 camaro lt1. The quote he got from the garage was way out of affordability so we're gonna tackle this ourselves : . I'm used to working on cars when you could pop the hood and actually SEE all the plugs....Does anyone have any shortcuts or good instructions/tips on how we tackle this? Also any links to other helpful sites would be great...thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated
Does it still have stock manifolds? You'll find there are different techniques with either stock, brand of shorties and brand of long tube headers.
The only advice I can give is to be very careful when tightening plugs if you use a plug socket. I've used plug sockets that didn't have the rubber gromet inside the socket for plugs that had tight spaces where you had to put the socket on at an angle. However you must make sure the socket is straight on the plug while tightening or you may crack the porcelain which could lead to a misfire you'd then have to track down. Best thing I can advise is to tighten the plugs in a quiet area so you can hear if a plug cracks.
Also use a dab of anti-freeze on the threads. If anything it helps when torquing plugs down to ensure a true torque reading and you won't get the false sensation that the plug is tight.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 PM

its not as bad as some make it out to be, just get to the ones you can from the top which would be all of the driver side and the plugs 2, 4 and 6 if you remove the alternator and if you remove your heater hoses out of the way you can get number 8 from the top. i just did mine today.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 PM

Water pump???

Thanks alot for the advice every1, I do appreciate it...getting to the opti, I have to get the water pump off....right? Having a real problem doing this
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DDandR
Thanks alot for the advice every1, I do appreciate it...getting to the opti, I have to get the water pump off....right? Having a real problem doing this
Your going to have to take the pump off. Do a search for board member shoebox. He has a great site on everything from photos, to how too's.

Vinny.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 PM

We took the starter off to get to the #8 plug, the drivers side is a cake walk, the passenger side, not so much, my step dad pulled all 8 plugs and put them all back in with in an hour (yes I know record setting time lol).
Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 PM

This is the website i used to change my optispark. It made things very easy for me(I was 16 when I first used it, dang opti's lol).

http://www.houston-f-body.org/forums....php?topic=9.0
Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 AM

its not so hard as time consuming. makesure you bring a little friend with you so they can snake thier tiny arm in there. what plugs where you planning on using?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM

You might wanna pick up a punching bag to kick.. trust me you'll want to kick the car a few times while doing the plugs. Particularily cylinder 6 is a fun one.

Quick Reply: Changing plugs on LT1