LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

changing front accessory bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:39 PM

changing front accessory bracket?

well, my front accessory bracket broke, the one that holds the alternator, power steering pump, etc. How do I get that off?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:38 PM

You have to remove the alternator and power steering pumps and unbolt the A/C compressor from the bracket. Remove the tensioner, and you're left with 4 bolts holding the bracket to the motor. It takes some finagling but it will come out without removing anything else.

Where did yours break?? I had one break at the top alternator mount, the upper half of the bolt hole snapped off.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
You have to remove the alternator and power steering pumps and unbolt the A/C compressor from the bracket. Remove the tensioner, and you're left with 4 bolts holding the bracket to the motor. It takes some finagling but it will come out without removing anything else.

Where did yours break?? I had one break at the top alternator mount, the upper half of the bolt hole snapped off.
same spot, cept its like the upper 3/4 of it. It did it back in march, and I JB welded it back together, and it held up until now, and i figure while i have the PS pump unbolted, and the alternator off, might as well replace it. Do i have to completely take off the PS pump, or if i just have it unbolted, will that be fine? As far as the A/C compressor - how do i get that off? And the tensioner, theres 2 bolts, right?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:25 PM

also, would my best bet be to get one from the local dealership, or gmpartsdirect.com? its part # 10239875
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Best bet would be to get one from a junkyard. I got mine for something like $15 from billygrahams.

The PS pump must come all the way out. No getting around that.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Best bet would be to get one from a junkyard. I got mine for something like $15 from billygrahams.

The PS pump must come all the way out. No getting around that.
Alright, how do i get it all the way out? I have the 2 bolts undone, but not sure where to undo it at to get it all the way out. I know where theres like 4 LT1s in a junkyard, but then i have to pull it too lol
Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM

To get the PS pump all the way out, you have to disconnect the hard feed line, the black rubber return line, and the two 10mm head bolts. It should just lift out after that. The 10mm bolts are accessable through the front of the pulley. Just line up the pulley holes with the bolts. You'll have to go by feel because you can't see them. Just use a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm short socket and 3" extension and you'll be fine. The hard feed line is the worst to get at, you'll need either a flare nut wrench or a stubby box end wrench. Either way, it's a pita.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 PM

To get the PS pump all the way out, you have to disconnect the hard feed line, the black rubber return line, and the two 10mm head bolts. It should just lift out after that. The 10mm bolts are accessable through the front of the pulley. Just line up the pulley holes with the bolts. You'll have to go by feel because you can't see them. Just use a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm short socket and 3" extension and you'll be fine. The hard feed line is the worst to get at, you'll need either a flare nut wrench or a stubby box end wrench. Either way, it's a pita.
i already got the 10mm bolts out, where is the hardline at exactly? Im gonna go bracket hunting tomorrow lol
Old 06-17-2007, 08:04 PM

The hard line is bolted to the pump right behind the pulley. I have found it much easier to take off the pulley then unbolt the hard line.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
The hard line is bolted to the pump right behind the pulley. I have found it much easier to take off the pulley then unbolt the hard line.
I haven't even tried that. I've always done it with the pulley attached.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM

how would i go about taking off the pulley, never had to take one off of a PS pump lol. Otherwise, whats the best method of getting that stupid hard-feed off?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM

I did not need to completley remove the power steering pump. I simply unbolted it and pulled it out of the way( lines still attached). Be prepared to remove it but I'm 100% positive it does not NEED to be completley removed from the car.

~Jim~
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM

we tried that, but couldnt get it far enough. how do i go about getting the pulley off? We could get a wrench on the hardline, but didnt have enough room to turn it, and i dont have a stubby wrench. Need to get this done tomorrow. Also, for the AC, do i just have to undo the bolts on front, because i see one on the back, but idk if i haveto take that off?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Did you try unbolting the pump and bracket and shake the two of them apart?

~Jim~
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
.... how do i go about getting the pulley off? ....
Get a pulley puller/installer at the local parts store. Here is a how-to with what looks to be the exact same puller I have: http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...pspulley-1.htm

Quick Reply: changing front accessory bracket?