LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cat clogged, need exhaust options inside...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 07:46 AM

Cat clogged, need exhaust options inside...

OEM replacement is $$$ even with aftermarket parts. The shop is willing to try to weld a universal on but it's a tight sqeeze between the s-pipe, the y-pipe and that both are rusted pretty good after 7 winters. They recommended going with a flanged cat at a minimum, preferably the whole y-pipe/cat since the original may not hold up. Would another shop do the universal thing and tell me after it fell off, probably but this guy is a master pipe bender/welder.

They had a header from a guy that had bottomed out and caved in the bottom of 2 primaries. Lets say it looked like a Coke can that someone had stepped on This guy bent pipe to the primary shape, cut out the crushed area and welded it back on... can't tell until you are right on it and see the discolouration at the weld. Otherwise perfect integration, unless you see the discoloured scar you'd be hard pressed to tell which primaries were fixed.

Anyway so that's the skill level we're looking at, old guy who knows his business. The other thing on the table is a true dual exhaust from the manifolds on, emmisions hookups, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, h-pipe, tips to the back, in stainless 2.5" or 3" for $1200CANish including parts and labour. Initially that was a high price but GM cat replacement is $780(cat/y), $620 if I go Walker(cat/y), $400 for a Random(flanged cat) that may not be weldable to the original y-pipe longterm. Long and short of it is this guy can probably do anything we can think of but this is what's on the table.

You guys have any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations for dual config at my mod level? Let me know. Primary concern is getting a converter back on there but new exhaust was on the plate for this spring so rather not save a dollar today only to spend 10 later.

Last edited by Seta; 02-15-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:57 AM

Why not just throw on an ORP?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:01 AM

Hehe have a 'very high flow' one on right now but we have emmisions testing up here and I did promise to replace it when the dealer caved it in so I could get to work. That and it sounds pretty nasty right now Little too rice, lots of noise but not nice, to me anyway.

Last edited by Seta; 02-15-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:44 AM

how about some shorty headers that come with a Y pipe and then buy a new cat. Don't pay $400 for a Random tech cat. I bought one for $250 and have seen them even a little cheaper.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:48 AM

Sorry shold mention those are Canadian prices $230US about $300CAN after conversion, taxes, duty, shipping and such.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:31 AM

if you need to mantain emissions, why not get youself a set of MAC shorty headesr/Y-pipe ($400 or less), new cat for $250 or so, and eith er weld all that up to your stock exhaust or pick up a hooker cat-back for another $250. Thats about $900 or so, but you just replaced the entire exhaust from engine back with much better pieces.

Alternatelty, pick up some headers, throw away the y-pipe, have this guy build you a true dual exhaust from the headers back.

Don't forget you can find most of this used too.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:37 PM

If you can get that whole system done in stainless, go for it. Those prices seem to be pretty good, although I'm doing a little mental price conversion and comparing the US$ prices. It's tough enough to find anything in stainless except the OEM replacements. Random tech does make some stainless dual cat y-pipes, but they're pricey. Borla and Corsa make stainless cat-backs, but they're pretty expensive as well. Anything in stainless seems to be too expensive, so if you can get those prices that's the way to go.

If you're intent on duals, stick with 2.5" pipe. It's easier to package (and bend) and weighs less. Two 2.5" pipes will flow about the same as a 3.5" single. Just make sure you have an h-pipe or x-pipe in there somewhere after the cats.

Here's a thought if you're still open to a single: Stainless Y-pipe with dual cats to a stainless single 3" cat-back, pick your muffler. You get the whole thing made out of stainless, you get the lower weight of a single (compared to duals out the back), you get your emissions hookups, and it still flows pretty well. You also save some on bending pipes and you save on an extra muffler. It packages well also. If you go with a single in/single out muffler, you will even pick up a couple of horsepower and save the weight of one tailpipe. It sounds like you have someone who knows what they're doing and will do a good job for a reasonable price. That's a nice combination. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:00 PM

i have been told that magna flow cats are pretty cheap. not sure if that is accurate and i don't know about the quality. i would think with it being magna flow that they would be pretty good though.