LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cat back system... need to know a few things...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM

cat back system... need to know a few things...

ok, im hoping to buy a cat back system and moroso CAI in the next month or so once i pay insurance for this quarter. well, ive figured im limited to about $350 for the cat back system. i am open to suggestions, but have been eyeing up the magnaflow and edelbrock RPM catbacks in particular. im not too crazy about a dual-dual tip exhaust, but if performance is that much better i'd get one of those instead. i am looking for a good sounding note similar to this one:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/edelbrock/e..._LT1-96Z28.wmv

the only reason i dont just decide on that one is because ive read all too much that not too many of those exhaust notes are accurate to real life sounding. also, ive read that some exhausts sound like crap with aftermarket headers? i will probably keep my stockers for a while, but do plan on buying headers in the next year. and no flowmasters because everyone and their dog has one around here and i hate the drone they make. i love the deeeep ROAR like a really fat pig snorting or something... like in that video when its revving.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:06 PM

Re: cat back system... need to know a few things...

there are many catbacks out there for these cars, some IMO do sound like butt... and the sound w/headers is def a myth, if you want me to send you a video of my car with SLP loudmouth With a borla XR-1 muffler, and AS&M headers shoot me an email. how much are you willing to spend on a catback?
I would recomend the new SLP loudmouth, sound AMAZING, and you can swap in and out resonator or muffler depending on what sound you want! if not that then the borla with restrictor plates, but thats a lot of $... others will chime in about their experiences.. liek i said shoot me an e-mail or IM for the video clip.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Yes, exhausts are not represented accurately for the most part through clips - however, from personal experience, if you like the sound clip you will typically like the sound a lot more in person. Sound clips tend to (once again, from what I've heard clips/in person) make exhausts sound worse since they poorly capture the entire audio range (video cameras), especially the lower, deeper notes we all love.

I wouldn't worry about how any system sounds with headers, the loudmouth is the only system most people complain about with headers - for most other systems headers IMO will improve sound.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM

thanks, i think i will go for the edelbrock, i nearly spooged myself listening to it... LOL. ill need to spermgaurd my car if/when i actually get it on
Old 06-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CreatiVe2
there are many catbacks out there for these cars, some IMO do sound like butt... and the sound w/headers is def a myth, if you want me to send you a video of my car with SLP loudmouth With a borla XR-1 muffler, and AS&M headers shoot me an email. how much are you willing to spend on a catback?
I would recomend the new SLP loudmouth, sound AMAZING, and you can swap in and out resonator or muffler depending on what sound you want! if not that then the borla with restrictor plates, but thats a lot of $... others will chime in about their experiences.. liek i said shoot me an e-mail or IM for the video clip.
LM is great sounding on stock car, and the fact that it can be modified so easily is also nice. However this doesn't sound anything like the one you were looking at, so I don't think it's the sound you're looking for. Also, what you plan on doing with headers will have an impact on what exhaust you go for - if you are into cutouts, your exhaust system will not matter so much unless you want it quieter, then you'll still want it good sounding... I forgot where I was going with all this, but basically dont spend a large amount of money on a system that you are just going to throw a cutout at the axle and run it open all the time...
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM

I personally have the Edelbrock system on my car, it sounds good but after only 10K it rusted out pretty bad and it is now just an eye soar to me. I am putting on Pacesetter headers next month and I am going to tear off the Edelbrock and get the Magnaflow system. I know others who have it and it sounds nice, is stainless steel, and can be had from Summit for I think 370.00 which is right in your price range.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Save yourself the money and just go with the GMMG, it sounds amazing and the quality is top notch. I think it was worth every penny I spent on it.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM

im 16 making $6 an hour at sonic. LOL. i can't afford stuff much over $350 for now.

2000GTP - where do you live? i dont think rust would be a problem where i live, in the winter we don't salt the roads.

10,000 miles is a lot, i drive primarily to school and work. i dont see me replacing it in the next 2 years or so...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:26 PM

I picked up a hooker cat back for about 250-300 bucks from jegs. I loved the sound of it with a cat, and stock manifolds, and got lots of compliments, not to loud not to quite. I couldnt sleep with my self paying 700-800 bucks for a cat back, wether it be GMMG, borla, or any others. My personal opinion about the GMMG is that you could make one for half the price.

I know what you mean by being 16 and making very little money, trying to mod one of these and keep it running. I'm not anymore but was a few years ago. Just a suggestion, research everything you buy for it, before you buy it, and make sure its worth getting.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:32 PM

oh yeah of course, i do that with just about everything i buy. i am constantly researching crap on camaros and whatnot. how did the hooker kit sound? if you could find a sound clip comprable to it could you send a link?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 AM

how loud (db) is the GMMG compaired to a Loudmouth?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 AM

If someone could tell me where to get db checked I'd tell you guys how loud mine is. I have heard a car around here with LT's and LM and it sounds nasty loud, but again thats just my opinion.

-Dustin-
Old 06-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Radioshack sells a decibel meter (I work there) . Also, I love the sound of the Hooker Catback I had it on my 88 and now I have one on my 95. It has a great tone and is loud enough when you get on it, but never anoyingly loud.