LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car won't Start...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 04:38 PM

Exclamation Car won't Start...HELP!!!

ok guys got a problem. My car cranks like the battery and starter are fine but the thing won't turn over. The fuel pump is only about 6 months old. I am thinking it is the fuel system or the opti??? I hope it is not the opti though, any other places to look before I start with the expensive stuff??

Thanks
Old 02-02-2003, 04:43 PM

If you've got a spare spark plug laying around, pull off a wire and plug the spark plug into the wire and see if you are getting any spark. Could possible be the ignition coil, OR the ICM, OR of course the opti if you aren't getting spark. If there is spark there, I would have to say that the fuel pump is faulty or the wiring that is headed back to it is corroded or is failing somehow.

Does the car act like it wants to start (back against the starter??)??
Old 02-02-2003, 08:44 PM

anyone else??
Old 02-02-2003, 09:07 PM

Check for codes, namley a DTC 16
Old 02-03-2003, 01:42 AM

Have you messed with the plug wires any ...before it wouldn't start I got a couple of wires on the opti in the wrong places and it wouldn't start another thing to check is the ignition fuse under the hood next to the air intake...
Old 02-08-2003, 10:34 PM

The plugs and wires in the car haven't been changed for 30k+ miles. Right now the car has about 69k miles on it, like he said the fuel pump is almost brand new...if that really means anything on these cars...The car sounds perfect when the key is turned, the engine just won't turn over. The only thing that leads me to believe it is the fuel system is there was no smell of gas after cranking it and pumping the gas pedal.

On the 94's you can check the codes with a paper clip right??
Old 02-08-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Koby
The plugs and wires in the car haven't been changed for 30k+ miles. Right now the car has about 69k miles on it, like he said the fuel pump is almost brand new...if that really means anything on these cars...The car sounds perfect when the key is turned, the engine just won't turn over. The only thing that leads me to believe it is the fuel system is there was no smell of gas after cranking it and pumping the gas pedal.

On the 94's you can check the codes with a paper clip right??
No, you cannot check for codes with a paper clip, you must have a scanner.

Did you ever check for spark? You have to start eliminating things if you are ever going to find out what is wrong.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:02 AM

Another thing you can try is to pull a few plugs out and see if they are soaked...they could be fouled or something...I had to take mine out and clean them and it started right up...I had the same problem as you....Just something else that worked for me....
Old 02-09-2003, 01:46 AM

Sounds like the coil to me. I put a Holley Annihilator ignition and coil on, and it failed a few months later. I put the stock coil back on, and it fired right up. Sent it back to Jegs, and they sent me a replacement Holley setup, and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with it for well over a year now. If you've got any friends with a stock coil, pull the coil wires and hook them up to that one. If it cranks, pull the old coil and put the other one on, or better yet, order an aftermarket ignition setup. Hope it helps. Later.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:52 AM

did you check just to make sure that you have fuel pressure? Easy way is to stick a pencap in the test valve located just behind the intake mani.

The only two basic things i would think it could be was no fuel, or no spark, so take that and start eliminating things

good luck
Old 02-09-2003, 09:18 AM

yep, i agree. press on the little fuel in the fuel line and see if you have pressure. was the car running and you parked it and then it wouldn't start back? you say it won't turn over but i'm assuming you mean it won't fire up and run?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:04 AM

A test gauge is the only way to tell if you have adequate fuel pressure. Pressing on the schrader valve only proves there is some pressure and could be very misleading. That said, some pressure should probably net you at least a cough from the engine when trying to start it. If it does not even think about starting, it is probably a spark issue.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:24 PM

yeah, it wont fire up and run, it just cranks and cranks
Old 02-13-2003, 11:29 AM

Could it have anything to do with about a week before it happened, i took my car through the car was and it died as soon as the stream of water came down one the hood. White smoke was pooring out the drivers side just in front of the winsheild wiper??? just a though, help me out
Old 02-13-2003, 11:35 AM

One thing you have to watch out for when going through car washes is if they have the undercarriage cleaning....you are greatly increacing the changes of getting your opti wet.....something you need to make sure to watch out for....Just a heads up......

Quick Reply: Car won't Start...HELP!!!