LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car starts and runs for 5mins, then shuts off and no more spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Unhappy Car starts and runs for 5mins, then shuts off and no more spark

I've been trying to get in contact with Delteq and it seems they don't answer their phones or return their calls. I have a Delteq setup and the car will crank and run perfectly fine for about 5-10 minutes. As soon as it warms up, the engine dies and there is no longer spark at the plug wires. If I let the car sit for an extended time (overnight), it sometimes starts again the next day, but will have the same symptoms.

I'm really frustrated and bummed. Any help is appreciated guys.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM

i would say check the fuel pressure, but the delteg system is what is causing your issues. Did you install it yourself?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Fuel pressure is fine. I have a fuel gauge hooked up. In fact, I just put a new racetronix pump setup in.

I installed the delteq setup myself about 2 years ago. It ran seemingly fine for the last couple years. Unfortunately, there aren't any diagrams of the delteq setup that would make diagnosing possible.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM

After letting the car sit overnight, it now starts up flawlessly. I know, however, that if I let it run for 5-10 minutes, it will die again.

Like I said, its definitely not a fuel pressure problem. Are there any sensors that can just turn the ignition off? The opti is brand new. Is it safe to assume that its the Delteq? Is there any way to diagnose? The part that has me flustered is that once the car just dies, it won't start again and I stop getting spark!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Are you getting any codes? My car set off a DTC 16 which shuts the cars off. DTC 16 is for the optical eye inside the opti going bad. Mine is doing it when it gets warmed up. Let it cool, and it starts right back up.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 AM

I believe that is a common sign of a faulty opti...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm not getting any codes. I had the same problems with the old opti and I just put a brand new one in so odds of having two bad optical sensors in the opti seems unlikely.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM

This may have nothing to do with the Delteq, you may have some other problem that comes up when you go into Closed loop. most of those should throw a code though even if not flashing the SES, did you scan it or are you just looking for the SES?

you may want to just start with a few of the simple things like removing the MAF and trying it and seing if that could be the problem, sometimes the coolant temp sensor can cause the same issue if it goes out, but I would not just jump to the conclusion that it is the Delteq if that was running fine for a few yars...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
This may have nothing to do with the Delteq, you may have some other problem that comes up when you go into Closed loop. most of those should throw a code though even if not flashing the SES, did you scan it or are you just looking for the SES?

you may want to just start with a few of the simple things like removing the MAF and trying it and seing if that could be the problem, sometimes the coolant temp sensor can cause the same issue if it goes out, but I would not just jump to the conclusion that it is the Delteq if that was running fine for a few yars...
I scanned and I'm looking for the SES light. No codes. The reason I'm being led to neglect other electrical components and sensors is I just don't understand how any of those sensors can not only cause the car to turn off but cause it to stop sending spark to the spark plug wires. Do any sensors have that capability?

Also, its not necessarily that the car only does this when it warms up. It could do it after running for 5minutes, or it could be 20 minutes before anything happens at all. Do any sensors have that capability?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
JAB

Maybe check the Ignition Control Module (ICM) On my car we forgot to put the grease between it and the little heatsink and it would cut the car off as soon as it got too warm.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
I scanned and I'm looking for the SES light. No codes. The reason I'm being led to neglect other electrical components and sensors is I just don't understand how any of those sensors can not only cause the car to turn off but cause it to stop sending spark to the spark plug wires. Do any sensors have that capability?

Also, its not necessarily that the car only does this when it warms up. It could do it after running for 5minutes, or it could be 20 minutes before anything happens at all. Do any sensors have that capability?
well technically yes,

if the computer is not comanding the spark because of a fault or any other reason then you won't see the spark when testing for it. but again there should be a fault associated to it, if not then I guess your on the right track with looking at external items like the delteq...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

I got curious, read the Delteq install manual, and noticed that it has a "opti box" which is to be mounted where the stock coil/ICM were mounted. If the opti box is in the same place on you car where the stock coil/ICM were located, maybe it met the same fate as many of our ICM's have. Too much heat from the head and then electrical failure.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
I got curious, read the Delteq install manual, and noticed that it has a "opti box" which is to be mounted where the stock coil/ICM were mounted. If the opti box is in the same place on you car where the stock coil/ICM were located, maybe it met the same fate as many of our ICM's have. Too much heat from the head and then electrical failure.
try spaceing out any ignition items that you can and see if that helps, alos check you ground wires.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
Hey man, great call.

I luckily found my stock ICM and coil and decided to swap them in and see if I can isolate the problem to before the delteq, or the delteq. Well I took off the delteq box and here's what I found:

I So anyways, I've been trying to reach delteq for the past week with no luck. They don't answer emails or pick up their phone. What a waste of $600+....

I'm going to look into the ltcc setup now.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 AM

Man, that sucks, hope you get it figured out without spending too much on it...

Quick Reply: Car starts and runs for 5mins, then shuts off and no more spark