LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car feels sluggish after xe218/224 install, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:45 PM

Question Car feels sluggish after xe218/224 install, NEED HELP!

Mods are in the sig. I'm still trying to break in the car, so I haven't really jumped on it yet. But I am feeling a definite low end torque loss. I'm just looking for some direction to start in. The only things that I can see wrong at this point are:

- I have no tune, but I do have a JET Chip. I thought this would help somewhat seeing how so many people can run ok on a stock tune.

- During the install of the cam and heads, my converter got kicked around in the shop I was using. So the honeycomb on the inlet side was loose, but I decided to install it anyway hoping it would holdup. About 5 min. after I started the car I could hear it let go and start rattling around in there.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:34 PM

You have stock gearing and no tune.

I'm guessing that would be your problem.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:38 PM

You mention your convertor, but your sig says you have a M6. Did you do a tranny conversion too?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:43 PM

I meant the cat. Also I forgot to put in my sig that i'm running 11:1 compression and thunderracing advised me to run one heat range colder for the plugs. So i got the NGK TR6's. Are they too cold?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 PM

The cat might be your problem.It should run good on stock tune.Check every connection.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:15 PM

The cat is a given, the next chance that I get I'm going to gut it. Could this be a knock module problem, mine is stock.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:54 PM

you ported your heads and changed cam but have a stock tune + Jet (not much diff)
Old 07-17-2003, 03:51 PM

By the suggestion of others i just bought a cam degree kit. Maybe not neccessary w/th the dots, but it's not gonna hurt when i do mine. How confident are you that you got those lined up?

Rockers could be a little tight.

Tuning would probably help a lot too even on this 'mild cam' as some would call it.

Probably could be a billion things, but the degreeing is what i'm most worried about for when i do mine. I'm not sure why since so many people use the dot method successfully. Just wanna make sure my baby is done right. Plus i'll be reusing the degree kit on others cars in the near future.

I hope you get that sucker figured out so you can post some wicked numbers with it and show some others what that cam can do.

Do you have flow numbers on your heads? Any plans to get it dynod? (once it's running tip top of course)

-brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 07-17-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:26 AM

Hey guys, I think it was the cat. I took it off last night, gutted it, put it back on, and it made a big difference. I haven't hammered on it, but it feels like I have more throttle response and torque. I hope that was it. I knew I never should have put that on like that, oh well live and learn.

The heads have 2.00/1.55, 3 angle valve job, 11:1, then I gasket matched and mildly ported them. By mildly porting them, I mean just smoothing and blending what was already there.

I will say this, during the install I questioned whether or not this cam was too small. I wouldn't want anything bigger for street use, it's perfect. It lopes just right. As soon as it's broke in I'm going to have it dynoed and I'll post. Thanks for all of the reply's.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 94formulabz
By the suggestion of others i just bought a cam degree kit. Maybe not neccessary w/th the dots, but it's not gonna hurt when i do mine. How confident are you that you got those lined up?

Probably could be a billion things, but the degreeing is what i'm most worried about for when i do mine. I'm not sure why since so many people use the dot method successfully. Just wanna make sure my baby is done right. Plus i'll be reusing the degree kit on others cars in the near future.
exactly. from experience now, i dont see why everyone just lines the dots up and goes. Too many variables in the equation. For sure degree your cam to make sure it is correct, and the timing chain is correct.

Why the hell did thunderracing recommend a colder plug??
Old 07-18-2003, 09:26 AM

The only reason you would need a degree kit with an LT1 is to verify the cam specs. It is not going to help with lining up the dots. You can't change the relation of the dots without affecting the opti timing (which can't be adjusted). If you want advance or retard of the cam, you have to have it ground in.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Banned

thats kinda important though, as i found out not just the cam, the timing chain as well

i vote for degreeing to make sure its right.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by thewinner
thats kinda important though, as i found out not just the cam, the timing chain as well

i vote for degreeing to make sure its right.
So what did you really find out? The last I read, CC said there was nothing wrong with the cam grind?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:20 AM

I realize that i can't advance it.

I was talking to Bret though and he said that it would be a good idea to make sure you get it in lined up and yoru not off a tooth. Some may call it unnceccesary but it's can't hurt anythign thats for sure. I have two cam installs on Fbodys coming up, and it'll go into my tool collection for whatever future cars i modify, I'm not gonna drive an LT1 eclusively forever.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

ya they said the cam is correct down to the cam card. so its obviously something in the timing set.

Quick Reply: Car feels sluggish after xe218/224 install, NEED HELP!