CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Cap off oil cooler outlet from water pump (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/cap-off-oil-cooler-outlet-water-pump-282965/)

southern78 07-17-2004 02:30 PM

Cap off oil cooler outlet from water pump

Is there a way other than buying a rubbing cap to plug the outlet coming from the water pump for the oil cooler? I running without a oil cooler.

Mtrhds94Z 07-17-2004 02:38 PM

There's a 'bypass' hose that runs from WP to Radiator when you don't have an oil cooler..
I can look the p/n up later.. not at home right now..

Alex94TAGT 07-17-2004 04:09 PM

Like Mtrhds94Z just said, there's a bypass hose that routes from the waterpump to the bottom driver's side of the radiator. GM part number 10197675.

Any auto parts store should carry it. Just ask for the lower radiator return hose for a *non-oil cooler equipped vehicle. The hose itself is roughly 1-1/4" in diameter, so if they give you something larger, you'll know it's the wrong one. It should be relatively skinny...

southern78 07-17-2004 04:58 PM

Its in my s10 blazer running with a corvette radiator that doesn't have a lower return inlet on the radiator

Mtrhds94Z 07-17-2004 06:42 PM

OK then cap it for now, and if you ever change the pump, get a Corvette pump [they don't have that 'bypass' hose 3rd fitting..]

slmdgmc 07-18-2004 08:53 AM

When I had my waterpump out of my truck to do some work on the timing cover and install an electric waterpump I solved this problem.

I blocked off the oil cooler outlet and both heater core ports on the radiator. I popped out the outlet necks, and tapped the waterpump for pipe threads. I believe 1/2 was used for the smaller ones, and 3/4 was the larger one. Then I inserted a threaded pipe cap into the new holes I made with some RTV on the threads. No leaks since, looks pretty nice (alot better than rubber caps and a loop for the heater hoses).

shoebox 07-18-2004 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by slmdgmc
When I had my waterpump out of my truck to do some work on the timing cover and install an electric waterpump I solved this problem.

I blocked off the oil cooler outlet and both heater core ports on the radiator. I popped out the outlet necks, and tapped the waterpump for pipe threads. I believe 1/2 was used for the smaller ones, and 3/4 was the larger one. Then I inserted a threaded pipe cap into the new holes I made with some RTV on the threads. No leaks since, looks pretty nice (alot better than rubber caps and a loop for the heater hoses).

Didn't we talk about doing that, once upon a time? Anyway, glad you posted that solution and that it works. :)

Visual water pump comparison. You can see that the bypass port is blocked on the non f-body pumps. The hose pipes are slightly different as well.