LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cant get rid of ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:00 PM

cant get rid of ticking noise

ok, i replaced the header gasket. The copper one still looked new and had no black carbon blow-by. Still does it! And no matter how tight i put the rockers it still makes the same noise. Doesnt change a tone or nothing! WTF. Im getting aggervated aat this damn thing. What else can i look at or look for??? Could i have a screwed up lifter? What does a collapsed lifter sound like??

My valvetrain is:

918 springs w/ +.050 10deg locks and Ti retainers
7/16 arp studs
GMPP guideplates
1.6 comp. pro mag NSA rockers
7.2 comp. pushrods
stock lifters

:EDIT: I took the valvecover off and first thing i saw was green oil. I dunno what thats about but i did a oil change and used 4 valvoline 20-50 2 valvoline 10-40 and a 1/2 quart of my buddys pensoil 5-20 desighned for 2001 newer fords and hondas. So im assuming that tinted it green and not a head gasket. And second i found 2 more kinda loose rockers. Why the hell do they keep commin loose?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM

I would bet it's your lifters.I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to bad be lifters.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 PM

I bet the rockers keep comming loose because your lifters are bleeding down.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM

How many miles are on the stock lifters?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 PM

lifter would be pretty loud. injectors make a ticking noises too.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 AM

well i adjusted them again tonight with my buddy. I had the pattern down but was still doin them a little wrong. So now we got um good and it doesnt tick so loud, just a tad but that could be just valvetrain noise. BUT my other concern is the lifters. I got 100k on them. And when you adj. the locks to 0 lash with your fingers, they all turned in till they stopped and i couldnt turn them with my finger so they were pretty tight then gave um a 1/8 tuen past 0 lash. But on 3 of them, when i was turning the locks to 0 lash, i could turn it where it would start compression the lifter a bit. So does that mean i got a few worn out ones? And how bad would it be if i were to drive it if some were a little worn out?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 AM

With your mods and 100k on the stock lifters; it woulden't be a bad idea to spend $100 on a set of new ls7 lifters.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 AM

will ls7 lifters work on a lt1 though?? I wouldnt think so. I was talking with bret a while back and sais my lifters should be good but aparently mine may be shot. Ill look into some now though.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by taubr unit
will ls7 lifters work on a lt1 though?? I wouldnt think so. I was talking with bret a while back and sais my lifters should be good but aparently mine may be shot. Ill look into some now though.
Yes... Take a look at this thread

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...=lifter+option

To quote Bret on those particular lifters
" These lifters have a ceramic internals rather than the steel parts to lighten them up. They should be more than enough for the limits of the stock ECU in terms of RPM. I had a good discussion with one of GM's racaing engineers about them, they are a pretty kick *** piece."
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM

I had a similar issue a while back and kept thinking it was the rockers, readjusting them over and over again to no end for a few weeks...

Finally found I had a loose spark plug, and it was a 2 second fix...
Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM

yea, i had that spark problem last fall, lol. funny you say that. So now i make sure there tight to rule that out. Im gonna buy some lifters to rule that out.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:09 PM

those rockers are noisey from the start. i'll bet it's ambient noise. it's supposed to be there.

injectors, spark, loos plug, leakey header gaskets, exhaust leak pre-cat, collapsed lifter, wobbly pushrods, weak valve springs, loose rockers all have the same 'tick' sound.

i'd hit it up with a stethescope first...possibly run the engine for a few seconds without the valve covers on and 'scope the studs to find which rocker/lifter/pushrod is making the noise.

you can also 'scope the injectors to see which is louder if any.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Ask yourself, Self-----when did this noise start? Now I'm not saying, but there is quite bit of talk about those 918 springs. I'm just sayin'. If you are running that cam with those springs----and some people are having trouble with those springs, perhaps it's the springs that are causing some problems. Just food for thought.

If you are certain that the noise is coming from the valve covers, you probably can narrow it down to valve train components, i.e. lifters bleeding down to quickly, too thin of oil, rockers not adjusted correctly, bent push rods, bad geometry--maybe cam lobe requires different rods, rockers not locked down, rods hitting guides,---springs out of control. Just sayin'

Let us know the solution you tumble on to.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:04 PM

i got 20-50 oil in so the oil is thick enough. Adj. the rockers a thousand times from way loose to way tight and made the same exact sound. Didnt change tone at all. Im leanign towards bad/old lifters. When i was adj. to 0 lash i can compress the lifter a good amount with just my fingers. There were 4 like that. So im gonna look into the ls7 lifters so i have a peace of mind knowing there good. As for the springs, i bought them used so they been tried and trusted. Back to the drawing board........................
Old 06-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Changing out those lifters sounds like a plan. Good luck.

Quick Reply: cant get rid of ticking noise