LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can i cut the dip stick tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:01 PM

Can i cut the dip stick tube?

After the header install im having trouble getting the dip stick tube to slide all the way back into the hole? Can i trim off the end so it will slide in far enough for me to bolt it?

I probably need to trim off a couple inches. this ok?
Old 10-05-2003, 11:34 PM

No, you can't cut the tube. Your readings on the dipstick will be off. Just bend it to make it fit, bend it however you want, just make sure and leave the length the same-very important.

Cut off the old tab and just weld it back on where you need it.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:38 PM

i cut an inch or 2 off mine and sanded it down to make the install easier as did a friend of mine. some people will say the dipstick might catch the windage tray and bite off the end but we havent had this happen in over a year. maybe they cut off too much... i really dont know. i guess that is just part of the risk like anything else.

Last edited by turbo_Z; 10-05-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:52 PM

I sanded down the first time. It went in but still a PITA to put it back in. The second time I did the headers, I bought a Lokar flexible dipstick tube. The section that downes down into the block is machined aluminum. Went down real easy unlike the POS stock tubing.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:55 PM

If you cut below the stopper that prevents the tube from going too far into the block then your readings won't be off..

BUT..

This topic always comes up and the first thing I say is:

"DO NOT CUT IT" there have been a couple people here who have and somehow the engine managed to bend/break the tip off. I distinctly remember one guy fishing for it with a magnet via the drag plug on the pan. Others have had no problems. My guess is that it contacts the windage tray and is bent or broken upon insertion. I'll bet GM had a reason for making it exactly that long.

It's really not hard.. sand the hell outta it and clean it off.. freeze it if you have a freezer in the garage (I do) spray it with lots of wd-40 and jam that sucker in there.. I dunno what all the fuss is.. it's like a five minute job. Get a buddy so one of you can push from the top and the other can pull from the bottom.. wiggle it a lot and it should go in fairly easy compared to getting that pass side longtube in

Have fun, you're almost done
Old 10-05-2003, 11:57 PM

I cut mine about a inch and a half. Broke off the dipstick when I started the car. Had to drop the pan to clean out the mess

Sand the crap out of it !!! I did this and can remove and install mine in a few seconds. You will want to put a lil silicone around the top portion of the bottom where the lip is that rests against the block as to not allow any leaks.

-Shannon
Old 10-06-2003, 12:09 AM

I cut mine and have had no problems in two years. Just cut about two inches off and try it.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:34 AM

Well i tried for about 20 minutes to get it in with no luck, i tried sanding and i also put it int he freezer and it didnt work. The main problem is that the tube tward the top is hitting the fenderwell and I cant seem to send it in straight, thats why its not going in. Im gunna mess with it tomorrow again and see what i can do.

AsianSensation,
where did you get the flexible dipstick tube?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:03 AM

You don't need a new tube, just bend it to get it in straight. I bent the sh*t out of mine and its been fine for 3 yrs now.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:57 AM

I trimmed mine down about 1 1/2 inches and it went in much easier and I have no problems so far.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 AM

I could only get mine in all but about 1/4 inch... Seems fine to date. do you think the reading is off ?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Hyperspeed97z28
I could only get mine in all but about 1/4 inch... Seems fine to date. do you think the reading is off ?
If you don't get the collar on the tube flush with the block, the reading will be off (low), because the stick is not going in as far.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:22 AM

The collar must be flush with the block or the reading will be off...

Sand that sucker good.. sand all the paint off of it and then some.. lube it up good and try it again. If it's contacting the firewall, primaries, block, or anything else for that matter then BEND it. I bent the heck outta mine to get it in and then that stupid bolt hole on the dipstick wouldn't line up with the block so I bent it more.. no problems to date. Just don't cut it.

If all else fails then put some hair around it
Old 10-06-2003, 09:32 AM

The Lokar is actually shorter below the collar as well so cutting the stock piece would be just as easy. Since you have headers you may want to re-use the stock piece since the lokar just barley sits above the headers. *Or* I bought this aftermarket SBC for $5 and made it "flexible" like the lokar unit but its chrome and sits as high as the stock unit for easy access.
Edit: *right click, save target as*
http://members.fbody.com/quicksilver97/dipstick.JPG

Last edited by quicksilver97ta; 10-06-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:55 PM

Re: Can i cut the dip stick tube?

Originally posted by jchevy
After the header install im having trouble getting the dip stick tube to slide all the way back into the hole? Can i trim off the end so it will slide in far enough for me to bolt it?

I probably need to trim off a couple inches. this ok?
If you are asking whether you can trim the top of the tube to allow clearance, to allow the tube to seat properly in the block, the answer is yes, why not? Understand, you will need to shorten the stick, and renotch/recalibrate stick for oil levels a like amount equal to amount the tube was shortened.

Quick Reply: Can i cut the dip stick tube?