LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can a beginner tackle a Hotcam kit install???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:33 PM

Can a beginner tackle a Hotcam kit install???

I've never done a cam,RRs or springs. Do u guys think with the right instructions me and a friend can pull it off???
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM

Probably not the best idea.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:58 PM

does your friend have exp. if so sure!
-b
Old 04-07-2004, 08:22 PM

Man its all about taking your time and doing your research. Make sure you got plenty of time to do it. You dont wanna rush it. Make sure you also have some cash set to the side in case other things can go wrong. Again just be patient with it, and pay attention to detail. You should be fine. Im no expert mechanic but i do my research and give myself plenty of time. Have fun.
Peace
Omar
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 PM

Friend does not have exp. with LT1s. I think it would be easier to pay someone, because I can only work on the car during the weekend.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 PM

not sure how much it would cost you to pay someone but changing a cam is NOT easy for a beginner. ask me, i know first hand!

although, now that i have experience with it, i bet i could do it in half the time it's taking me!
and btw, i had my dad to help me who has a little bit of experience with cams (never an LT1 though).
honestly, if "the money ain't a thing," pay someone to do it. but if you have ALOT of time and patience and really want to learn about your car, do it yourself! i had the money and thougt i could do the whole job during my week of spring break...HAHA...it didn't happen, so now i'm in school and only get to work on the car twice a week for a few hours...it's been 3 weeks now!!!
it's getting close though!...and the y2k wheels will be here just in time!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:23 PM

Go for it.

I hate to disagree with my esteemed colleagues, but yes you can do it. Do research, take your time and you'll be fine. Shoebox's cam installation procedure is pretty much excellent, and that along with a good shop manual is all you'll need. There really isn't anything about a car that's hard and everyone starts somewhere.

In my experience the hardest part of a cam swap is doing the springs while they're on the heads and that can be fixed by getting a good spring compressor. I recommend the stud mounted type and make sure you've got a good magnet around to grab the locks.

Go slow, double check everything and if you're un-sure about something, stop ask a few questions on the board. I changed my first cam out about 6mos ago, I'm now on my third cam mainly because I couldn't make up my mind as to what I wanted. The car started on the first try and I didn't break anything on any install.

You can do it!!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 PM

When I did my first cam install in my 93 Trans AM LT1 which is now sold, I was in highschool grade 11, I knew nothing about engines, I didn't know where the pistons were & did know anything except for where the gastank was, so I went & read the Brent Install Fix it Guide, looked at the manual, had 3 beers one day & starting ripping her apart

Funny thing is, I barely passed any of my courses, 50%, was one of the dumb kids in school but saved up my cash for car & mods, after I put her together she started right up.

Thing is, I felt so much better about my self, all my marks skyrocketed in highschool by grade 12 & now I'm in colledge as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, I loved that car, it made me get out of the streets & love cars.

So go for it!

Ps. Hardest part was removing the balancer for the first time, I used a slide hammer, ohh man what I know now LOL.

Matt
Old 04-07-2004, 09:37 PM

I would say yes, but it will take you a while.

I have been working on my car for a month, but have done headers, exhaust, cam, springs, plugs, wires.

I have been working on cars for a long time, but this was my first time on the LT1. LT1 is not the easiest to work on due to the engine sitting back so far, and the cramped spaces, and lots of different components. Now that I know my way around, just a cam swap would be not too bad. The headers weren't bad to put in, but getting to the plugs is tough if they are in.

I would recommend to try it
take your time
be organized and mark bolts, hoses etc
dirt is the enemy. Make sure you don't get dirt and RTV in the engine. If you do you will be doing a rebuild

I just got my car started today. The problem was that the pin in the opti had slid into area next to the pin slot, not in it. I finally got the pin to go in and runs now.

Here were the pitfalls for me...

-Runining the pan gasket where it meets the timing cover. Had to install a new pan gasket
-The timing cover seal for the water pump drive is a pain. Slide it on with a socket, I destroyed a couple before I found this tip.
-The dipstick is a pain to get in. (Headers) I am sure mine is going to leak.
-Putting the dipstick in, I broke the # 6 spark plug. Took 2 hours to get out. Finally got it out by getting a socket on it first and then putting an extension on and finally the wrench.
-Spark plug wire routing, gotta put heat sheilding to prevent burning and route smartly
-As mentioned, cam pin was not in correct slot in opti, had to take out radiator, waterpump, balancer, air pump to take it off and fix.
-Broke the oil pressure sender wire while lifting up engine for oil pan fix

-Got some dirt and junk in engine which I cleand out of pan and everywhere the best I could, now I am going to change oil immediately and then again after another hour or so
-Fabricated my own offroad pipe, that was fun, got to use my welder

anyway, that is a summary of my mistakes, be prepared to spend a lot of t ime, and some extra expense.

tim
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 PM

I'm also going to install a cam in the near future. Hopefully it goes good. I don't think nothing can be a bigger pain then putting on headers.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:33 PM

It can be done, but be sure to allow extra time since you've never done this kind of thing before. Get everything you will need and a few things that you don't think you'll need (new oil pan gasket). Be prepared to loose some knuckle skin and curse a few times. And make sure you provide plenty of cold beer for you and your buddy cause it can be frustrating. And don't do the double roller chain, it's more trouble than it's worth, trust me, just buy a replacement stock chain.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:33 PM

I did my hotcam install senior year of highschool. I has no clue what I was doing. It took a while but everything turned out good. Now I have helped many people do cam and heads, and have had the moter out of my car 4 times. If you do your research, and are patient, you can do it. Its a lot better than paying someone.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:47 PM

hehe i raped my oil pan gasket also. wasnt doin a cam but the car has 130k miles on it so i figured id change it and sure enough it had some play in it. you should post on the forum and see if anyone with some experience is in your area and willing to help out. im sure you could find someone, hell ill work for beer lol
Old 04-07-2004, 11:48 PM

With a cam install and about anything else for that matter... getting the job done right and fast is all about having the right tools. I say the CORRECT tools do about 90% of the work... all you gotta do is hold em in place. Of course you need a good guide or go with a chiltons manual.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by tim95z28
-Runining the pan gasket where it meets the timing cover. Had to install a new pan gasket
-The timing cover seal for the water pump drive is a pain. Slide it on with a socket, I destroyed a couple before I found this tip.
-The dipstick is a pain to get in. (Headers) I am sure mine is going to leak.
-Putting the dipstick in, I broke the # 6 spark plug. Took 2 hours to get out. Finally got it out by getting a socket on it first and then putting an extension on and finally the wrench.
-Spark plug wire routing, gotta put heat sheilding to prevent burning and route smartly
-As mentioned, cam pin was not in correct slot in opti, had to take out radiator, waterpump, balancer, air pump to take it off and fix.
-Broke the oil pressure sender wire while lifting up engine for oil pan fix

-Got some dirt and junk in engine which I cleand out of pan and everywhere the best I could, now I am going to change oil immediately and then again after another hour or so
-Fabricated my own offroad pipe, that was fun, got to use my welder

anyway, that is a summary of my mistakes, be prepared to spend a lot of t ime, and some extra expense.

tim
F*ck Tim; I thought I had a hard time . . . . . . . . ?????

Quick Reply: Can a beginner tackle a Hotcam kit install???