LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Came across an interesting tidbit of info

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Came across an interesting tidbit of info

I was reading a thread on www.smokemup.com recently, and a gentleman on there made this statement:

I got a set of CompCams 1.6, SA narrow body rockers on hold right now from J&J; just looking for other options before I close the deal.

Your BB suggestion is interesting, but I suspect I'd still have cover bolt clearance problems. I use to run FORD rockers on a 468 CID BB Chevy I put in my Trans Am just to pick up .5 in the ratio; they bolted right up.
http://www.smokemup.com/bb/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

From what I've heard, it's possible to run big block Chevy rockers on small block heads, but I'm not 100% sure if they're a straight bolt on and go install or if there are modifications necessary. But logic seems to dictate that if a set of big block Chevy rockers would work on small block heads, and Ford rockers will work on big block Chevy heads, then there's a possibility that Ford rockers will also fit small chevy heads too?

Has anybody ever seen, heard, or done this before? Does anything have to be modified for them to work?

TIA
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Don't BBC heads look like the twisted wedge heads that have different intake and exhaust angles? I can't imagine they would work, but they might. Someone does make a 1.65 rocker for SBC, I just can't remember who.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

if you got money you can do whatever you want......I had BBC 1.7's on a 2.8L 60* v-6
Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Reply from a guy in the thread I made there:

http://www.smokemup.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3085
Originally Posted by af2
Some 20+ years ago I ran small block Ford rockers on a 327 SBC to get a 1.6:1 ratio and never had problems or clearance issues.
I'll post more info as I receive it.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:27 PM

all my buddy's with fords and stud mount rockers use sbc rockers
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Additionally before you start bolting up BBC rockers (roller or stamped) you will have to change out the studs to 7/16" dia. screw in (they can use a 3/8-16 thread stud) as that is what the BBC uses. The BBF also uses 1.73:1 rockers on 7/16th inch studs so you can put those on your BBC or a SBC with the correct sized stud (though that is getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion; if you need that much lift change the cam).

I have 7/16" 1.5:1 CompCams ProMagnum chromemoly roller rockers on ARP 7/16" studs bolted to my Edelbrock Victor Jr. CNC'd heads on my stone stock 305 with a 3/4 race cam and glass packs (at least that's what I'm claiming).
Nice to know if someone were to come across a good deal on a set of big block or Ford rockers.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 05-28-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:08 PM

I would check fit and geometry very carefully before swapping rockers from another engine platform.

I can't say as far as fitting Ford rockers on a Chevy engine, but this thread rang a bell for me on running BBC rockers on an SBC.

I just checked in an old Smokey Yunick book I have and he mentioned running BBC rockers on an SBC. He said that due to the rockers being longer, the stud had to be moved away from the valve ~.150" in order for the rocker tip to properly index on the valve stem which also moved the pushrod toward the intake side of the head causing clearance problems there too.

Not that it can't be done, but it seems like a lot of work when aftermarket rockers with different ratios can easily be had that do in fact bolt on.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by red67camaro
I would check fit and geometry very carefully before swapping rockers from another engine platform.

I can't say as far as fitting Ford rockers on a Chevy engine, but this thread rang a bell for me on running BBC rockers on an SBC.

I just checked in an old Smokey Yunick book I have and he mentioned running BBC rockers on an SBC. He said that due to the rockers being longer, the stud had to be moved away from the valve ~.150" in order for the rocker tip to properly index on the valve stem which also moved the pushrod toward the intake side of the head causing clearance problems there too.

Not that it can't be done, but it seems like a lot of work when aftermarket rockers with different ratios can easily be had that do in fact bolt on.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can get the guy who made the "they bolted right up" comment to elaborate on if he had to do anything specific to make them work.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 AM

It probably made sense to do 20-30 years ago when the aftermarket wasn't as big but now you would be better off getting whatever ratio you wanted designed for your car.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM

From all I've read about running BB rockers on a SB head, the SB rocker studs have to be re-located to make them work. There use to be a company that made "off-set" studs, sort of like offset rocker arms offered by Jesel and others which could make them a bolt on.

Of course, pushrod length and other geometry issues would have to be checked. Since high ratio SB arms are now so readily available I figure "why bother". Yesterday I received a set of SCORPION 1.7; 7/16th stud RRs for the 388 I'm building. Impressive looking pieces, too.

As far as the Ford rockers on a BB Chevy, I believe they were off Cleveland heads or maybe BOSS 302 rockers which replaced the stock "ball and sled" rockers on the 468 BB I was running. This was MANY years ago, but they had a 1.75 ratio and had removable needle bearing inserts (whatdoya call it, the trunnion?) that went into the arm body then down onto the stud.

I suspect they'd be pretty hard to find now, but they were a direct bolt on.

Jake
Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by buzz12586
It probably made sense to do 20-30 years ago when the aftermarket wasn't as big but now you would be better off getting whatever ratio you wanted designed for your car.
Yep, at LEAST 30 years ago.

Jake
Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Jake,

Excellent info, thanks. I guess I should clarify: the reason for asking questions like this is to learn the historical significance of things.

Take the tri-power intake setups that Ford and GM made back in the 50's and 60's for example. It was a cool concept that had the ability to make some awesome power, but both companies stopped making them after a relatively short run. And the aftermarket has all but abandoned the idea. Why? I guess it might have something to do with the fact that unless you had the patience of Job, and a somewhat better than average knowledge of fluid mechanics, getting one tuned and keeping it tuned was an exercise in futility. In other words, just a tad bit too complex for the likes of your average John Q. Shadetree.

But then flash forward 30 or so years to the 80's and the dawn of the age of computer controlled engines. The late 80's brought us the LT5 engine which had a unique tuning characteristic called "displacement on demand." Once again, an extremely cool concept that offers the best of both worlds: great fuel economy and emissions, and brute horsepower. Back in the 50's and 60's, nobody gave a rat's behind about fuel economy and emissions, so at that time the tri-power concept was driven simply for the sake of making more power. But one has to wonder: when comparing the tri-power intake to displacement on demand, and seeing that both concepts perform in an almost identical manner, did GM maybe learn some things in the process of developing the tri-power that didn't have anything to do with the original target goal? I think so. Could it maybe be said that we now have one thanks to the other? I think so too.

So bearing this in mind, when I ask about the why's and wherefore's of Ford rockers on Chevy heads, it's not because I think that this is some revolutionary way of making more power, (but heck, who knows, anything's possible), but because there's a chance that there might be a beneficial silver lining in there somewhere that doesn't have anything to do with higher and different ratios.

Knowhutamean Vern?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 PM

I recall, some time back on another Forum, the guys were kicking around whether it's better to have the valve lift ground into the camshaft lobes or get it with a higher ratio rocker arm setup.

Of course, like most things, there were differing view on this and there seemed to be no consensus.

A while later I came across an article written by one of the Big Boys in the camshaft industry - I believe it was CompCams or Crane - that came out in favor of going the rocker route, saying that's the way to do it.

I guess GM read it too since their HOT LSx engines are all sporting high ratio stuff these days. LOL In fact, that's what convinced me to go with 1.7s; trying not to leave too much on the table.

Wish I had made a note of where, exactly, I read it but something keeps telling me it was on-line, on one of their sites.

I'll try to do better next time.

Jake
Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by seawolf06
Don't BBC heads look like the twisted wedge heads that have different intake and exhaust angles? I can't imagine they would work, but they might. Someone does make a 1.65 rocker for SBC, I just can't remember who.

Crower makes 1.65 roller rockers for the SBC. Back about 15 years ago when I was building a 377 for my Nova, Super Shops (remember them?) was out of 1.6 Erson 3/8 stud roller rockers for SBC, and sold me some that were labeled for Ford. The part number was different, but they said they were the same part, and they worked fine. Looked identical to some display 1.6 Chevy rockers thye had in the store.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM

doesn't changing the ratio of the rockers increase the duration a little bit?

i mean duration measured at .050" with 1.6/1.7's would actually be greater than that of 1.5's

Quick Reply: Came across an interesting tidbit of info