LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Camaro Gods hate me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 AM

Camaro Gods hate me...

Well, I replaced the RR on #3 exhaust saturday, and followed the EOIC method and racheted the intake fully open and about halfway closed and adjusted the exhaust valve about 1/2 turn past lash and polylocked it.

Started it up: sounded fine. Took it for about a 8 mile drive, gave it a "little" throttle bump and all of a sudden I hear loud clacking AGAIN.

Fearing that the RR slid off the valve stem again----

Another tow ride home: I pull the valve cover and everything looks ok and the #3 Exhuast RR is lined up and the nut hasn't moved.

Now I did notice that when I was working on the #3 RR that another RR close by, I was able to move it off the valve stem (these are SA RRs) however, I just figured that this must be natural.

But now I am wondering if my whole problem is that the all the RRS need to be properly adjusted. I guess my "former" mechanic neglected to adjust them when they reinstalled my heads on my new short block.

Is this possible? At any rate I am going to try and get an appointment with a mech with a very good rep and have thim take a look and hopefully my main problem is out-of-adjustment RRs.

If it is something major, I just going to drive it into the river.

I need some words of encouragement this morning, but if you believe I have a major problem here, go ahead and give me the bad news.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 AM

Re: Camaro Gods hate me...

It's not the Camaro gods that hate you. It's the aftermarket gods that hate you. But don't feel bad, they hate everybody.

I would go through all the rockers and check adjustment.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 AM

Don't feel bad. It could be worse. I spent a lot of time and money on some head work and cam then got less than 500 miles before the rod bearing took a crap on me. That was a year ago and has been in the works ever since.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 AM

Well, I bought this 97SS brand new in April 97. Immediately tried to catch lp with the 98 LS1 HP and that when it all started. First had 1.6 RRs installed and then a small cam and then the heads were ported (this with less than 7 grand on the clock---then the engine spun a bearing and now comes a new 4-bolt main shortblock.

Well, less than 1000 miles on the new set-up and after not driving it for 6 months a short drive winds up with one of the RRs moving off the valve stem (talk about a loud clatter--thought the bearing spun again) but anyway, as mentioned, I replaced the RR (it was a little beat up) on adjusted it and then as mentioned in the post, I am experiencing more problems.\

Bottom line, I have about 45 grand into a car with less than 10 grand on the car and less than 1000 miles on a new short block and if this is more than just out of adjustment RRs, I just don't know what I am going to do.