LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Camaro Dying at Idle...Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Camaro Dying at Idle...Sometimes

My car started this problem last week, and I'm totally stumped. I tried searching, but I could not find any posts with this exact problem (hard to choose good search terms, I guess).

First off, I have had trouble determining what is wrong, considering that it does not always happen, and it does not happen in the same situation everytime. The first time it manifested itself, I was driving in a school zone, went slow over a speed bump, and it died. The next time it happened, I was sitting at a stoplight, idled just fine there, and when the light turned green, it died coming off of idle when I gave it some gas. I drove down the street about a block, and it died again going through an intersection. I got it started again finally, and then pulled into a parking lot, where it died after sitting for about 30 seconds. I let it sit about 10-15 minutes, and it started again after the second try. No more problems with it that evening...

When it dies, I have extreme trouble getting it started again. If I try right after it dies, it won't even try to turn over. If I wait ten seconds or so, sometimes it will turn over slightly but will only go a few turns and very slow. Usually, I just am not able to get it started at all for a couple of minutes. If I push on the accelerator while trying to start it, it will always start sooner.

I got my car dyno tuned a few weeks ago, but it was acting great after the tune - tons more horsepower and better gas mileage. The only other thing I can think of that changed recently was that a couple of weeks ago, I filled up at the Racetrac station here instead of my normal gas station. I changed my fuel filter and PCV valve as a routine maintenance thing this weekend, and they obviously did not help any with this problem.

Okay, so to add on to this post more, here's some information about the car. It has Stage II ported/milled heads, CC306, Racetronix 255 lph fuel pump, Vig 3600, and Lane's true duals with no cats. There's some other things done to it, but those are the major ones that I can think of.

It has never had a problem dying at idle like this before, so it's definitely not a heads/cam install problem. It also shouldn't be a tuning problem (unless it's something the tuner overlooked, I guess). Also, it doesn't seem like a fuel delivery problem (though it could be), because it does a great job staying at about 43.5 psi. One last thing - I seem to be getting a little knock at WOT now, as confirmed by DataMaster. I don't know if it was present at the tune, but I think not, since the tuner was looking at my DataMaster file and even recorded a run with it. It doesn't seem like an excessive amount, but it did register .1 degree of knock retard two days ago.

So for anyone who actually read all of this, any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:03 PM

Re: Camaro Dying at Idle...Sometimes

Something I forgot to mention: I have SVO 30# injectors. Also, my IAC counts are moving around normally (or so it seems), according to DataMaster.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 PM

Maybe put in a new battery?

Last edited by My 97 Z28; 11-22-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:10 PM

It has a near-new Optima Red Top, and the voltmeter seems to be reading normally. However, I have had problems with the positive cable not seating properly in the new battery. It keeps coming loose for some reason. I haven't had a dead battery at all with this one, though. Maybe I will replace the positive cable soon anyway.

Of course, I have the AIR and EGR deleted. Anything else I forgot to mention...?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:17 PM

Opti or fuel pump is my guess. Mine would die too at random and would be very hard to start sometimes. Ended up costing me a new opti and waterpump. Is it throwing any codes?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:31 AM

The SES light has not come on yet, but I will scan it for any codes today. If the opti was going bad, is it a possibility for it to still run fine most of the time? When I'm driving along, I'm not getting any kind of stumbling or anything of that nature. The car has seemed slightly rougher when I first start it, though, but it is hard to tell with that cam.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:27 PM

I scanned it this morning, and it had not thrown a single code. Here's the DataMaster log from me driving it around and also getting knock at WOT if that helps anyone figure out what the heck is going on. Also, here is a copy of my current tune - another just in case item.

So, does anyone know whether it really can be the opti (or something else)? If it is the opti, do I really need to replace the whole thing? If the fuel pump was going bad, would the fuel pressure stay right at 43.5 psi like it should?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Physics
If the fuel pump was going bad, would the fuel pressure stay right at 43.5 psi like it should?
Holds pressure under WOT = doing the job well.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:06 PM

I forgot to mention that I have a MSD Digital 6+. If that started going bad, would I end up with symptoms like these? I think I will try unplugging it to see how it acts...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:10 PM

By pass the MSD and see what happens... I am currently having a similar problem, however; mine will not stay running at all.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Before I started getting into things, I'd be absolutely sure that my battery and charging system were working well. As far as your MSD, I'd make certain that it is well "grounded" to the block.

Eliiminate the easy ones first. JMHO
Old 11-26-2004, 09:16 PM

if you have a fuel pressure guage, keep it in the car. Next time it will not crank, put it on the schroeder valve and prop it up under the hood where you can see it. See if it is getting 42psi or more with the key on before it cranks. If not that, I would check my coil and ICM. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it's nuthin too expensive!!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:43 PM

Bubba, thanks. I should probably check my charging system a little more thoroughly. I do have an electronic fuel pressure gauge, and it has been keeping at a steady ~43 psi all the time. I have not checked the coil or ICM, so I will try to see how they're doing soon. I went ahead and unplugged the MSD tonight, so I will see how it's doing the next few days. Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM

Well, it looks like it was the MSD Digital 6+ that was causing the car to randomly die. I took it out a few days ago, and I haven't had a problem yet. I also replaced the bolts to my battery the following day, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it as well. Since it would die so randomly on me, I will drive it around for a few more days before declaring it officially fixed.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Physics
My car started this problem last week, and I'm totally stumped. I tried searching, but I could not find any posts with this exact problem (hard to choose good search terms, I guess).

First off, I have had trouble determining what is wrong, considering that it does not always happen, and it does not happen in the same situation everytime. The first time it manifested itself, I was driving in a school zone, went slow over a speed bump, and it died. The next time it happened, I was sitting at a stoplight, idled just fine there, and when the light turned green, it died coming off of idle when I gave it some gas. I drove down the street about a block, and it died again going through an intersection. I got it started again finally, and then pulled into a parking lot, where it died after sitting for about 30 seconds. I let it sit about 10-15 minutes, and it started again after the second try. No more problems with it that evening...

When it dies, I have extreme trouble getting it started again. If I try right after it dies, it won't even try to turn over. If I wait ten seconds or so, sometimes it will turn over slightly but will only go a few turns and very slow. Usually, I just am not able to get it started at all for a couple of minutes. If I push on the accelerator while trying to start it, it will always start sooner.

I got my car dyno tuned a few weeks ago, but it was acting great after the tune - tons more horsepower and better gas mileage. The only other thing I can think of that changed recently was that a couple of weeks ago, I filled up at the Racetrac station here instead of my normal gas station. I changed my fuel filter and PCV valve as a routine maintenance thing this weekend, and they obviously did not help any with this problem.

Okay, so to add on to this post more, here's some information about the car. It has Stage II ported/milled heads, CC306, Racetronix 255 lph fuel pump, Vig 3600, and Lane's true duals with no cats. There's some other things done to it, but those are the major ones that I can think of.

It has never had a problem dying at idle like this before, so it's definitely not a heads/cam install problem. It also shouldn't be a tuning problem (unless it's something the tuner overlooked, I guess). Also, it doesn't seem like a fuel delivery problem (though it could be), because it does a great job staying at about 43.5 psi. One last thing - I seem to be getting a little knock at WOT now, as confirmed by DataMaster. I don't know if it was present at the tune, but I think not, since the tuner was looking at my DataMaster file and even recorded a run with it. It doesn't seem like an excessive amount, but it did register .1 degree of knock retard two days ago.

So for anyone who actually read all of this, any suggestions?
have you replaced the electronic ignition switch inside the dashboard. when we replaced the one in my 95 Z/28 oh boy it was like a brand new awesome feel brought the beast to life

Quick Reply: Camaro Dying at Idle...Sometimes