LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cam install. Is it that hard for 1st timer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:34 AM

Cam install. Is it that hard for 1st timer ?

Like many others, I have played with cars since a kid. I have no real problem tackling any bolt on. In fact I just changed my rear shocks( apply applause here). I did many a search ( more applause) I seen much great info and seen a many great site and I see what is involved.

How hard is it to do though?

If you have done one, please just give one thing to watch out for.

Please forgive the noobie-ness of the post.

Last edited by Van5150; 04-02-2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:46 AM

You really need the help of someone who's done this before. There are things you could really screw up, in particular:
Installing the timing set
Adjusting valves correctly

Theoretically with the proper guidelines and the right step-by-step instructions, you could do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps,
J.R.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:46 AM

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate a cam install as a 5 in hard to do.
Just take your time and don't rush things and get a good reference manuel , the proper tools, and supplies and you will be fine.
Segregate you parts into baggies or small boxes and mark them.
Clean everything good before putting things back together. If you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures as you start pulling things apart so if you get confused as to what hose or connector goes where, you'll have a pic to look at. Lastly, print out some of the install guides you'll find on the site as an aid.
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:34 PM

I am in the process of doing one right now, it isn't that bad. Just make sure to label and take pics. Also get some step by step manual on it. ( i got one off of the internet that is good) But allow a few good days and have a few extra $$ for mistakes. Be sure not to remove the AC line because it looks as if it goes into the radiator...but it really doesn't! ( not that I fell for this ) Anyways, just be careful and enjoy yourself.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:43 PM

Go ahead and do it!! I've been messing with cars for 20yrs. now, and never installed a cam. Done bout everything else. I just got done installing the 306 cam, mac headers, cloyes double roller, CSI w/p, rockers and springs. It looks intimidating but its not that bad of a job. The main thing is the right tools. Spring compressor, air, pulley removal tool, hub installer etc. The wiring for all the sensors and stuff scared me alittle but it literley falls into place when u lay the harness back down on the intake, label every sensor!! Loctite cam ret. bolts, lifter ret. bolts. Hell, I took my car apart on turkey day, and just now put it back together, it fired right up on the first crank !! There's plenty of help on this board so tear it apart and start asking some ?'s. By the way, this 306 hits one of the meanest licks I've heard!! I'll catch myself just sitting there listening to it idle. I'm the only late model Z in my area with a cam like this and its worth it just to see the look on peeps faces when I roll thru
Old 04-02-2003, 10:57 PM

one trouble spot is removing the hub. make sure you have a 7/16-20 bolt threaded all the way b/c i tried everything and that thing won't come off. Shoebox recommended this to me and I am going to have to give that a whirl tomorrow....but I haven't had any troubles till now. Jason