LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Brakes Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:45 AM

Brakes Questions

I did a search but could not find anything. Are the LS1 rear brakes the same or better than the LT1 rear brakes. Also what is the stock size for the front rotor on LS1 brakes and can I swap in a bigger one? Would it do any good? Appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:36 AM

Anyone? I need to know as I will be upgrading my brakes very shortly. Also what is the biggest size rotor you can fit with skinnies in the front?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
i don't know much about the ls1 brakes.... try asking in ls1 tech...

it would depend on the exact size of the skinnies, wouldnt it?

i honestly don't think upgrading the rear brakes from lt1 to ls1 will do much good...

if you have any money to throw around... look for brembo or baer cross drilled slotted....

$$$$.... but the best braking systems out there short of the super 6
Old 07-28-2003, 09:54 AM

most of your braking goes into the front brakes. I wouldnt worry about the rear, they are already good enough. Upgrade the front, you can buy an ls1 upgrade for the front, and its not that hard to installll.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:18 AM

Like said above, don’t bother swapping LS1 brakes onto the rear. It is not worth the time or money.

The rear rotors on my LT1 always ware out before they warp indicating that they don’t get abused much.

The LS1 front brake swap is well worth it though. I don’t know of the exact size, but the LS1 rotors look to be about an inch bigger than the LT1’s.

As far as rotors go, don’t waste your money on high dollar drilled or slotted units. Find a cheap rotor with a good warrantee (at least a year) and replace them, when they warp (and they WILL warp)
Old 07-28-2003, 11:28 AM

the LS1 brake caliper and rotor will need all 16X8 space height of the stock salad shooter that comes with your car. I dont know the size of your skinnies. If your skinnies fit on a 98-2002 camaro then the LS1 brakes will work with yours.

Rear brakes do help... but not really from doing an LS1 swap since they are about the same size. Some of the BMW's I drive have the same size brakes up front and in back... and those things stop on a dime.

Dual pistons on 12 inch rotors (and using a performance pad) is a huge difference over single piston 11inch rotors.

Especially at higher speeds.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, I am still not clear though is there any difference between the LS1 rear brakes and the LT1? I can get the LS1 for cheap so even if it is a slight improvement I will take it. Also has anyone tried the Baer Eradispeed rotors? The Baer rotors look pretty strong compared to other rotors. Plus tbyrne has them in a set of 4 for only $329? That seems too good maybe I read that wrong.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:57 PM

The LS1s rear brakes are different. Better, probably not really. The parking brake mechanism is aslo different, but I'm not sure how easy this would be to use with your car.
I thought they didn't make Eradaspeed rotors in Lt1 sizes (at least not the front). If so, that's a good price.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:04 AM

Hey whats up Ken! How is that beautiful SS of yours running? I bought a JL sub for that stealthbox its sweet! Anyways I just bought LS1 brakes for the front and rear. I am gonna paint these ones to match the color of my car and then put some camaro decals on them As for the brake pads I want something REALLY low dust so I am leaning towards EBC greenstuff pads or Hawk HPS I can't decide. As for rotors I want the Baer Eradispeeds but that price was not for a set I think it was for each one. The best price I have found is $500 for the front and $300 for the rear. That might have to wait, I need to do my suspension and get my heads ported first.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:35 AM

Hey, what's up. Sorry, I didn't check the screen name that started the thread. I'm doing good; just got married on Friday. I'm glad that box worked out well for you. Thee SS is doing OK, but my Opti just crapped out (I think), and I'm going to have to try to throw it in there myself on Thursday night. I just hope my mechanical skills will be sufficient.
As far as brake pads go, I've really liked the KVR Carbon Metallic pads from www.fasttoys.net. The don't dust very much, and seem to stop well without eating up the rotors (and they're pretty cheap). If you'd like, you can get in touch with me regarding the rotors and suspension, I may be able to get you better prices.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 AM

Why are you wanting the upgraded brakes?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:18 PM

snorkelface

Opti's are half as bad as ppl make them out to be. Drain the Radiator, unhook all the lines going to the waterpump, Unbolt water pump ( Replace the gaskets, or the entire pump if its old, no sense in having that break 500 miles down the raod and ruin a NEW OPTI once you get it in ) and if you have small hands and can work it around, you can pull the opti out rite from there. If not, your going to have to yank the Damper Pulley off ( Cant jsut unbolt it, buy the tool for it, itll save ALOT of headaches.) Then unbolt the Opti, there is a few bolts holding it on. When you go to put the new one on, if you look at the part which attaches to the camshaft, there is 3 slots in it, one of the three slots is shaped slightly different. This is the one you need to put onto the tab protruding from the Cam. Dont force it on, it will slide FULLY into place if its aligned correctly, If not pull it off and try again, DONT jsut bolt it down as this WILL DAMAGE PARTS, and it wont be timed rite. Then put the damper back on ( I got mine on with it on the car I believe, but ima flexible kid so ... ) At anyrate then throw the waterpump back on ( With new gaskets ) hook up the rad lines to it again, crack the bleeder valves ( 2 of them ) on the coolant lines 2-3 full turns, and fill with radiator fluid till it seeps out WITHOUT bubbles, also cover the new opti while doin this so you dont get coolant on it. If your bleeders dont work ( Mine didnt ) rite, jsut run the engine till the thermostat opens then let the car cool completely, check the rad, and the overflow and fill to the appropriate levels. Im 17, and by a longshot not the most mechanically inclined on this board, and I can do it in about 2-3 hours from start to finish