LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

brake pads... semi matalic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 02:21 AM

brake pads... semi matalic?

ok now i went to autozone to pick up my rotor, well ok fair enough now about break pads, there were two different kinds semi matalic and some other kind well one was 29.99 the other was like 51.99

if u know what im talking about which ones better?
and what are the advantages of each?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 AM

Get the more expensive ones, should be "Performance Friction" brand. The cheaper ones will squeel more than likely. Also, get the orange goo for the back of the pads. Many times, squeeling is from small vibrations from the pads, the goo takes care of that.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by jwade95Z
Get the more expensive ones, should be "Performance Friction" brand. The cheaper ones will squeel more than likely. Also, get the orange goo for the back of the pads. Many times, squeeling is from small vibrations from the pads, the goo takes care of that.
anyplace to get them cheaper? 51.99 is expensive for 1 pad, not to mention i need 2
Old 01-16-2004, 10:31 AM

ANOTHER QUESTION.... What brand create less dust?? my front wheels are always black!!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:43 AM

Cool

I'm not sure about the Auto Zone pads but my son uses the Ceramic pads from Napa. They stop awsome and put off less dust, the dust they do put off seems to be clear. He washes his car once a week and the wheels always look clean. I think they were $60 for his 95.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 AM

Are you sure that price of $51.99 is per pad? Sounds too expensive. Brake pads are usually sold in pairs. I'm going w/ Hawk brake pads. They run approx $110 for a complete set. CMotorsports has them. Hope this helps!
Old 01-16-2004, 11:09 AM

I like the ceramic pads from NAPA. Seems like they were around $70 for my 95 TA.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Pads are sold in sets, front and rear. You can't just buy front right for instance. For $50, you get a full set for the front, left and right. AutoZone is the cheapest for Performance Friction pads. Plus, they are lifetime, so for as long as you own the car, pads are a one time cost. This warrantee wouldn't mean much if the pads were no good, but the pads are good ... bonus.

Yes, they dust, but not too bad at all really. Dusting means the pad is doing what it's supposed too. All pads should dust.

As with anything on performance cars, I've read conflicting reviews on ceramic pads. Never tried them myself since I've been pleased with the PF pads. In general, you are going to trade dusting for stopping power.

I recently did my first "Track Day" (combo oval/road course) at Texas Motor Speedway with AutoZone pads and rotors, and a Ford brake fluid flush (higer boiling point fluid). The brakes held up very well with no fade.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 PM

well when i got the front ones i went w/ the semi metalic and they were sold 29.99 seperatly it was like 70$ after tax
Old 01-16-2004, 09:15 PM

well when i got the front ones i went w/ the semi metalic and they were sold 29.99 seperatly it was like 70$ after tax
Another deceiving/disgusting/misleading tactic to over price and item that otherwise has no reason to go up in price that much.

I've replace my 19.99 a pair front pads with Ceramic 70.00 a pair Napa replacements. My cheap old ones had over 2 years and they are barely showing any signs of wear. At the rate they are wearing out I would say they have another 5 years left on them but DAM they leave a black residue in my RIMs. I got so tired of cleaning the rims I had begun to drive with dirty rims just to find out if you let that dust acumulate is not comming off easy at all.

My new pads are very quiet and barely leave any trace on the RIM. As for stopping power they work better when warm. Sometimes I park on a steep inclined and its hard to stop the car going down hill after it seated overnight. But if they are warm they are just fine. I havent tested any Panic stopping while they are Hot. Maybe tonite I will drive on the freeway late at night and I will hit the brakes from 55MPH (max legal speed around here )

Whats strange is when I did my brakes with the cheap pads I did all 4 corners with the same brand/type but my rear pads do not dust at all.... they are noisey though. I will let the rear ones wear out and will replace them with the best stopping power ones.

Marvin
Old 01-16-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
Whats strange is when I did my brakes with the cheap pads I did all 4 corners with the same brand/type but my rear pads do not dust at all.... they are noisey though. I will let the rear ones wear out and will replace them with the best stopping power ones.
Not too strange considering that most of your braking power comes from the front brakes. You will more than likely change your front pads 2X before you change your rear brakes. Also, although you don't necessarily need to turn your rotors when you change your pads, turning them will help eliminate some of the squeal that people say they get with "cheap" pads, along with some of that grease stuff you can put on the back of the pad.

I just changed my rear brakes and turned the rotors and not the first squeal and I used Autozone semi-metallic brake pads.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:12 PM

I can get you ceramic acdelco pads for 70 for both the front and backs pm me if you want more info.

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2004, 01:26 AM

You will more than likely change your front pads 2X before you change your rear brakes.
Actually its been common place for me to change the rear ones twice before I do the front ones. The 2 year old ones I changed have just as much pad material left on them than the new ones I installed. My theory is that the rear ones wear out much quicker because they are so much smaller in surface area.. ask around, I believe I am not the only one who changes the rear ones twice before I have to do the front ones.